“InThirsk on a Superskills Course (Painting & Decorating)”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thirsk
Laburnum House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 23 Thirsk B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I travelled from Wakefield on the train and Val kindly picked me up at 8.30 at night from Thirsk station. As soon as we got in we had a nice chat about Superskills and Val made me feel at ease with her knowledge of Superskills. I am staying in the York room which has a king size bed and a large flat screen TV. The room is really nicely decorated, clean and tidy. The room has towels and all shower facilities are provided. I didn't have to worry about getting up as Val gave me a wake up call. There is a Tesco Superstore close by which is really useful.
Val also drove me to Superskills on the first morning.
If you are looking for somehere to stay whilst on a Superskills course or you are generally visiting the Thirsk area then I would highley recomend this B&B.
As a point of interest the James Herriot museum is in town ( Do you remember all creatures great and small ?)

Room Tip: All rooms are really nice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Craig H

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Just back from a weekend break to Thirsk for the horse racing. Stayed at LH again never think of going anywhere else as Val is the perfect host. The breakfasts are just the best ever. Thirsk itself is a lovely place with plenty of eating & drinking places but I must add that the best drink of beer is in the Cross Keys John Smith`s cask ale. Usually most racecourses serve pretty average ale in plastic pots, not the case at Thirsk a real good pint of Theakstons. There is a good Chinese restaurant at the side of the Three tuns but avoid the Raj indian restaurant it`s not the best.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patnshellBarnsley
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here last weekend as I was doing a bike race nearby. On arrival we were welcomed by Val (the owner). You could not meet a more friendly, welcoming and helpful host. Val immediately put the kettle on, chatted like we'd known each other for years and she booked us into the best place in town (Black Lion) for our evening meal, which was fabulous, so much so, we ate there the following night too. I had to be up early for my bike ride (5.45 am) and Val offered to get up especially early to make my breakfast before my race. Val had already spoken to me on the phone about any requests and asked exactly what I wanted. Val got up at the crack of dawn and prepared everything I wanted to precise detail and perfection! Fresh grapefruit, Muesli, Full English breakfast, with fresh local produce, fresh orange juice, and endless cups of tea& toast. I could not have asked for more, I was perfectly set up for the day. Val has spent a lot of money on this accommodation, it is modern, comfortable, spotlessly clean and tidy throughout. A quiet/relaxing/peaceful house in a lovely location, walking distance to the town with pubs and shops a 5-10 min walk away. Plenty off road parking in the driveway. We will definitely be staying here again, for a mini break or short holiday as we found it so relaxing and and would not consider anywhere else to stay as Laburnum House has everything we need and more. Great value & Fantastic Host. Thank you so much Val, you really made our weekend!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David1979L
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Hello all travellers,
I have stayed here at Laburnum House on a weekly basis over the last 6 months and it has made my life so much easier working away from home. I have used all 3 rooms and there all very welcoming and relaxing in there own way.

Being treated to an affordable and luxury B&B is great and all credit to Val for her continued efforts. You cant get any better.

I hope this review helps puts your mind at rest as Laburnum House is a first class stay.
Cheers Val and see you next week. Tony

Room Tip: All 3 rooms are well equipped, very clean and the services are first class.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tony W
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I first stayed at Laburnum House 2 years ago and didn't even contemplate trying somewhere else this time. Val is the most welcoming owner you could wish to meet. Her hospitality is first class. My husband was with me this time and is a Coeliac requiring a Gluten Free Breakfast. Val provided a cooked breakfast with Gluten free toast both mornings and had even sourced Gluten Free sausages from the local butcher. The addition of the Orangery on the back of the property is a real bonus. We were able to sit and watch TV with a glass of wine, so relaxing. Laburnum House is so accessible to many areas of North Yorkshire. We spent the afternoon before arriving at Redcar Racecourse for the first meeting on the Flat. Laburnum house is not too far from any of the North Yorkshire race courses. Whilst visiting Thirsk we had a lovely walk at Sutton Bank National Park Centre, such outstanding views and visited local towns Pickering and Northallerton. Eating Gluten Free locally in the evenings was not a problem either, so all in all a very successful trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine H
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I found the lamburnum house an amazing stay! I am currently still staying here right now but im just so excited to review and talk about my wonderful stay. I would like to start of by saying that Val the owner was amazing! She was warm and welcoming and a very interesting and kind person to be around. I really am enjoying my room and how comfy it is with a relaxing atmosphere and fine furniture that is simple yet elegant. The breakfast that Val made for us was delicious and wonderful! I enjoyed my stay very much and I would truly recommend this B&B to anyone visiting Thirsk.

Natalie.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Natalie L
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I booked 3 rooms for 2 nights for a family occasion. This has only been the first night and I just couldn't resist writing this review to comment on the extreme cleanliness of all the rooms and the friendly customer service that the owner has provided so far. Please note therefore that I will be writing in the present tense!!!!

Laburnum house is set in a fantastic location, close to all major routes and amenities. There is plenty of parking space for guests on the enclosed front yard. All rooms are clean and modern throughout the house.

The bed I am currently sleeping in and writing this review from (Thirsk room) is extremely comfortable. The room itself is quiet and constantly at room temperature when needed. It has a fantastic en-suite bathroom with one of the most powerful showers I have ever experienced. There is a small table and 2 chairs in the bedroom for guests to have a quick cup of tea or to do some reading. Guest facilities are outstanding: a large conservatory and dining room with ample seating, large LCD in almost every room, more than enough toilets when you need to find one, plenty of magazines to keep you occupied, and the owner has great character and is a joy to talk to.

I therefore have no doubts about recommending Laburnum House to anyone visiting Thirsk; whether it is for one night or multiple nights. In fact, anyone considering staying in a B+B in Thirsk should just book with Laburnum House and nowhere else. If I could give you more than the maximum 5 stars for this review and give you an award myself, for outstanding excellence and service, I would certainly do that.

Thank you. Steven.