“Fabulous” 5 of 5 bubbles

Oswalds Restaurant with Rooms
Price range: US$19 - US$37
Cuisines: British, Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: We offer fantastic freshly made Italian food both from our kitchen and the wood fired oven in the restaurant. Our pizzas are made using home made dough and the finest italian ingredients mixed with the best local produce. They are simply fantastic. Fresh seafood is almost always available and seasonal game and the finest Yorkshire ingredients.
Yorkshire, England
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

We have eaten here a number of times, the food is absolutely gorgeous. The service is really warm and friendly,love the big sofas,especially with a large glass of red in your hand....the house merlot is really very good. It would be even better if there was music playing in the bar area :)

The dining area is really pretty, however, the stone floor amplifies the acoustics so much that you can hear everyone's conversations, if the back ground music was a little louder,it may help or a few rugs?

We've had the steak, fish platter, chicken ....the list goes on. Every time it truly has been a joy.

What a shame the Italian night was fully booked :(

Don't hesitate book today .....

Visited June 2013

Countesthorpe, Leicester
“A pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

A lovely quiet spot only a 10 minute walk from Thirsk town centre. Bar area has very relaxing chairs & sofas and restaurant is nicely laid out with round tables. Staff are friendly and are more than willing to try and meet your needs. We stayed 2 nights on a dinner, bed & breakfast basis which we found was good value for money. This is a good spot for touring both the dales and moors or if like we were, going to the local racecourse. I would recommend it to friends.

• Visited June 2013
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“fantastic food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

The restaurant and bar has a relaxing and friendly atmosphere. I ate on my own and felt comfortable to sit in the bar with a drink afterwards.
The food was lovely, and the service friendly and helpful. One evening I was offered an alternative choice of sauces to go with the salmon I had ordered as I was unsure about the seafood sauce to be served. This was much appreciated.

Visited June 2013
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Loved the atmosphere and food. The staff where very friendly too. The place is very relaxed and comfortable.

Visited May 2013
Easingwold, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it used to be, sadly...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

We used to live in Thirsk and have been to Oswalds on previous ocassions, the last time being around 7 years ago, I think. We were always impressed with the food there. We decided to try it again last weekend for my wife's birthday.

The place still has a nice ambience and obviously attracts the affluent set of North Yorkshire, judging by the selection of Range Rovers and Mercs in the car park. The stone floors and solid wooden furniture speak of a desire to be seen as classy. The bar area has studded leather sofas and a specials menu written neatly on a large blackboard. The staff were friendly and helfpul.

Then it came to the food itself, which is why we went after all. There was no suckling pig this time...a dish that blew me away on my last visit. Hey ho, menus change, I guess. My starter was good - scallops in a creamy leek and bacon sauce with a herby crust. My main course was a bit of a letdown, I'm afraid. The rib-eye steak, whilst cooked reasonably well, was stringy and at times chewy. Three others in our party had the steak and remarked on this. My roasted vegetables were soggy and bland.

Then it was time for desserts. I skipped, but my wife and mother both ordered things and neither were very impressed with the offerings. My mother's brownie and marshmallow sundae was underwhelming and very basic, whilst my wife's panna cotta was overpowered by very sour raspberries.

To top it all off, our bill came with several drinks that we hadn't even had. They corrected it without fuss, but I'm glad we took the trouble to check.

So we left feeling a little deflated. It hadn't met the standards we had expected from previous visits. Cosmetically speaking, the restaurant is still pleasant, with nice decor, staff and well-presented dishes. I just feel there has been a little loss of focus on food quality.

• Visited May 2013