“Comedy Night”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Wellingborough
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
“Comedy Night”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Had a great comedy night and a really good quality burger meal, however, staff at the bar, while pleasant, appeared to be poorly trained and not very experienced. Why don't companies train their staff any more? When ordering my first drink, one member of staff said to another member of staff, "Well I don't know (how to operate this till). I don't work upstairs do I?" While ordering my second drinks, orange and lemonade and a pint of lager, they took so long to prepare that I began to evolve into a higher life form. I also ordered a glass of soda water which tasted like the water from a loft tank. The hotel is quaint and atmospheric, but tired; a shadow of its former glory and presumed greatness. The comedy, the burger and the quaintness will get me to return however.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul E
Hindhotel, Owner at The Hind Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Paul,

We're thrilled that you enjoyed our March comedy night and that you think The Hind to be 'quaint and atmospheric: we're proud of the historic nature of our hotel and so your positive comments in this regard are greatly appreciated.

We aim to provide a high level of customer service and so take on board your feedback in this regard. We apologise for the wait you experienced while ordering and are taking steps so that next time there will be no 'evolving' necessary!

We look forward to seeing you again soon: we've got another 'really good quality' burger with your name on it!

Regards,
Shasha K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The hotel is a grade 2 listed building but it is very old and very tired, threadbare carpets and a maze of corridors to drag your luggage around, very limited car parking spaces. The only good points are the staff and the breakfast.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Eddie R
Hindhotel, Owner at The Hind Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Eddie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Hind: we're sorry that your found your stay to be less than satisfactory.

We take on board your comments about the hotel décor and are taking steps to make improvements in this regard - the 'threadbare' carpets you mention are in fact due to be replaced within four weeks. We're glad, however, that you enjoyed your breakfast and the service from the staff, particularly as providing a high standard of customer service is a top priority for us.

We hope that you will visit us again soon and that, should you do so, you will appreciate our improvement.

Regards,
Shasha K
n lincs
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here for one night whilst visiting relatives living nearby. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel has a lovely central location. Parking was in a lovely quaint courtyard at the rear of the hotel. The building itself was impressive being a grade 2 listed building and offers many interesting features both inside and out. Rooms were clean and spacious although the decor was a little dated. There was plentiful supply of tea, coffee and milk in the room and the bed was very comfortable with extra blankets if required. Bathroom was large with a small selection of complimentary toiletries. The hotel is also offers smoker friendly rooms which is something of a rarity these days. The Full English Breakfast was very good and freshly cooked and there was a reasonable selection of fruit and cereals ect. or other breakfast choices.The dining room was very clean and had a magnificent feature fireplace. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone wishing to stay in Wellingborough and would definitely stay here again should the need arise

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Fabulous central location with spacious rooms and lots of character.
Breakfast was excellent, better than i expected with a la carte options
Lots of original jacobian features. Very secure car park in courtyard. Would definately return

• Stayed December 2013
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I booked a single room at The Hind on the day I traveled. If you are using a sat nav to approach, watch out for the sign to the car park before you reach the hotel or you will have to negotiate the Wellingborough one way system as I did to find it again. Also, once you have turned onto the road for the car park I advise you to ring the hotel for directions as the car park is quite hidden if you don't know what you're looking for! The staff are so friendly, nothing is too much trouble. My room was very clean and comfortable. I always bring my own pillow when travelling and I'm glad I did as the pillow provided was a bit flat but I am fussy. The only downside was that there was some noise from the road outside until the revellers of Wellingborough headed for home after 1am. However as this is a town centre hotel this is to be expected. Just take earplugs. The hotel itself was quiet in spite of a Christmas party - I literally could not hear any noise from that at all. The room was beautifully warm and cosy. However I must admit I was a tiny bit grumpy (about the noise) until I went for breakfast in the morning. However, my mood was instantly lifted by the grand surroundings. The restaurant is positively baronial in style and brimming with interesting pieces giving a marvellous sense of place and history - this Inn goes back prior to the 17th century and apparently Cromwell stayed. They also have a priest hole which I would love to have seen but didn't have time. Even better than the sense of history however was the superb English breakfast. Eggs, bacon, beans, fresh tomato, mushrooms and hash brown but the crowning glory was a fat, imperfectly shaped (hence obviously hand-made), caramelised, seasoned, herbed, meaty, prince of a sausage. A sausage to praise, a sausage that was a hymn to the butcher's art. And all for the derisory sum of £36 pounds. I went to the Hind because it was cheap, cheaper than its Premier inn and other budget hotel rivals. I would return because it was excellent value, the staff were absolute darlings, and the breakfast was unequalled. Just pledge you won't change your sausage supplier Hind Hotel...

• Stayed December 2013
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The parking is a little hard to find, and has few spaces, but there are lots of other CP opportunities in the immediate vicinity.
The check in process was easy enough, the secretary was competent and efficient, though the owner seemed overstretched and was confused by our order of two rooms for a party we were attending. Also, finding the rooms was a little tricky as its quite a labyrinth.
The rooms themselves were very spacious, with lots of storage and a good entrance space. They were clean and warm, even though it is an old building it is maintained well. The bed was very comfortable, though the pillows were a little flat. The bathrooms were also clean and there was lovely hot water (even at midnight when I got into my room sweaty from dancing the night away!).
The breakfast in the morning was lovely, and even with staff shortages it was still friendly and efficient. Me and two friends all ordered what we would like, and any changes we wanted were dealt with in a very friendly and hospitable manner! The cooked breakfast was delicious, especially the lovely sausages (which were huge!) and tasted amazing. There was also a good selection of refreshing juices laid out which you could help yourself to.
The check out process was easy, but the main problem we had was after we left. On Monday 2nd December my partner was charged again for the room we had already paid in cash on the Saturday 30th afternoon. She rang the Hind Hotel and was told that the debit card information if we didn't turn up and let them know, but we did turn up and we did pay cash. This obviously didn't get logged in properly, as not only were our card details kept, we were then charged. The secretary said she would check, and rang back to say the money would immediately be put back.
However, apart from this money issue the stay was lovely, the rooms were nice, and the staff friendly. It let us really enjoy our friend's party and have a lovely weekend away. We even had the chance to see the lights being switched on and a firework display out of the bedroom windows as a bonus!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rebekah K
Kent
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Having stayed here for the last two evenings, I left this morning feeling fully refreshed, well rested and happy that I was finally able to find a comfortable, clean warm and friendly hotel that was within my budget while I was attending business meetings just outside of London (45 Minutes to St. Pancras by train) The building itself is a gorgeous 1600 georgian style building and with that comes all the character and charm you would expect, the hotel unfortunately faces an ongoing battle with maintenance because of the age of the hotel, however there are more plus points than negatives, everywhere is spotlessly clean, staff are almost over accomodating, food is hearty, generous portion sizes in lovely warm surroundings. Comfortable bed, clean room, functional bathroom. For £40 a night in a double room with London on its doorstep is excellent value I feel. Will definately come back again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellingborough
Ibis Wellingborough
#1 of 1 in Ecton
Barton Hall Hotel
Barton Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barton Seagrave

Been to The Hind Hotel? Share your experiences!