“Excellent prices, excellent food, just ask and you will receive....”
Review of The Columbia Hotel

The Columbia Hotel
The Columbia Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Wellingborough
Reviewed 26 January 2012

just completed a 9 week stay here, one of three 9 week stays since jan 2011, i got a good room for a cheap price as it was a block booking, you get a clean room, good digital tv, internet is fine on wifi and broadband dongle with t-mobile also.
Food is excellent, as a malaysian chef combination, there's loads of proper decent meals to choose from, roast of the day, malaysian curry, variety of steaks, lasagne, sea bass etc, loads of starters and desserts. i have tried them all and loively big freshly cooked nice meals from £6.50, can't complain.
The hotel have a friendly welcoming staff, always poilite and talk too you, even a single contractor like myself this is very welcoming, than being ignored in alot of main stream hotels.
Recommend this too contractors and couples, family rooms available too.
just don't all come at once or i'll not be able to get back in...
I travel all over the uk as a field service engineer, working away from home 3 out of 7 nights minimum.
so review fairly, and accurately, as i find and eat and get treated.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 31 August 2011

upon arrival with friends we parked our cars in the free parking (which is the best thing about this hotel)

on the reception was the owner / manager / cook (as we found out in the morning) we given our rooms, with a Triple being a double and single bed and we expected to share a double top and tail. (one of us decided to sleep on the floor with the dovet from the double bed acting as matress and cover!) The room was tired, with a large orange stain on the carpet. the shower was weak with almost no water pressure. And when the reception was asked for a third set of towels for our "Triple" it seemed to be an enormous amount of work.

There were signs up around the building apologising for the state of the building, due to renovations, with there were no signs of any work being carried out and the decor throughout the hotel is dated. With every floor board appearing to be lose, moving around the hotel / bedroom quielty was all but impossible.

WIFI would not connect to the outside world, despite getting an IP address, reception said everything was working correctly and that is must be our computer and iphones at fault.

the resturant was not open and neither was the bar when we arrived, and we were told it was a 10 minute walk into town, to go and find somewhere to eat, if you follow the signs for the town centre the walk is more like 20 to 25 minutes.

The breakfast was ok, with a selection of cerials and hot food and the young lady serving in the resturant was very pleasent and helpful.

I would not recommed this hotel to anyone and i will not be staying here again, for the cost of the room, you would get a much better and more plesent stay in a Travelodge or Premmier Inn.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank HotelStayer_11
Reviewed 13 November 2010

When I got my room I cannot belive what I saw. Unclean toilet (the pee was still there), the room is full of spiderweb and mould everywhere. I closed the door after me, I runned back to the reception and asked the manager . Who was nowhere. I informed the receptionist about the problems and I told to him I don't want to pay for the room , then I gave back the keys and leave the hotel behind. I was very upset. After two week the hotel charged me for the room instead of apology. Very nice ..... Beware.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank alex123123
Reviewed 23 September 2010

We looked online and seen pictures and thought this hotel looked stunning, and being prgnant i wanted somewhere that i would be comftable and get a good nights sleep. On arrival we were greated with a very damp smelling and very dated room (nothing like the pictures on the website) we went to reception and asked to be moved, the lady told us to sit and wait while she went off with some keys to find another room. when she finally got back we were pointed to another room when we got there we were very dissapointed AGAIN, the room was very dated, the sofa had stains all over it, there were cobwebs everywhere, the shower was pointless as it had no power and the bed was to small as my partners legs overhung the bed onto the sofa.
The breakfast was very small for what it was priced and the whole stay was horrible, NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!

i wouldnt even let my dog sleep in these rooms they are a discrace.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wills23
Reviewed 12 September 2010

The standard of the hotel is very low and it would need renovating, the breakfast is ok. The location is also ok, there is free parking that is ok.

However I value my sleep and our room was above the kitchen entrance and everytime the door shut our whole room would vibrate not to mention the sound.

We only stayed there one night.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PanTob
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I stayed here for 4 days and would not hesitate to recommend it. TheAsian owner/manager was very welcoming and although I am a bit disabled I managed to walk up the stairs to the top floor although I was offered a groundfloor room.It was so quiet and undisturbed. The dining room was really nice - big and well decorated with fresh flowers. Although a buffet breakfast the hot dishes were served by a nice young man wearing white gloves -( what a lovely idea) -who was very polite etc. The room itself was enormous and the bathroom quite big. All so clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. I look forward to a return visit later this year. It's very convenient for all the shops. The side door entrance was well lit and the sight of a huge bowl of fresh lillies as you walked along the coridor was beautiful. Little touches make it a favourite stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Booked 3 rooms at this hotel 2 double & 1 family. On checking in there was a problem with our family room (booked for myself, my husband & our 11yr old son) We was told that the sofa bed in our room had not been arranged & this would be sorted for us. Not a problem as this was 4p.m. & we were going out for a meal. Got into the room & had to open a window as it smelt very damp! The decor was very dated with very questionable stains all over the carpet! We met up with friends & family in the bar & had a couple of drinks before setting off for meal. On our return at 10p.m. we discovered the spare bed had not been sorted in our room We spoke to the owner, who kept walking away without answeing our questions. After at least half hour she marched off & came back with keys to another room expecting our 11 year old son to sleep in his own room!! I refused this option. She eventually admitted she had given our family room to someone else dispite it being booked 2 months earlier! The maagers attitude can only be described as atrocious. At 11.15p.m. she said either use the room or go home!!!
We did stay sleeping 3 in a basic double bed-no sleep for me!
I know and accept mistakes can be made with bookings but her lack of effort to rectify it & horrendous attitude were unacceptable!
On a lighter note breakfast was ok.
We were not charged for our stay but still does not make the experience any better!
I would rather sleep in a bush in the park than return to this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family