“Highly recommended”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Wellingborough
travelnan
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I stayed here for 4 days and would not hesitate to recommend it. TheAsian owner/manager was very welcoming and although I am a bit disabled I managed to walk up the stairs to the top floor although I was offered a groundfloor room.It was so quiet and undisturbed. The dining room was really nice - big and well decorated with fresh flowers. Although a buffet breakfast the hot dishes were served by a nice young man wearing white gloves -( what a lovely idea) -who was very polite etc. The room itself was enormous and the bathroom quite big. All so clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. I look forward to a return visit later this year. It's very convenient for all the shops. The side door entrance was well lit and the sight of a huge bowl of fresh lillies as you walked along the coridor was beautiful. Little touches make it a favourite stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
west yorkshire
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Booked 3 rooms at this hotel 2 double & 1 family. On checking in there was a problem with our family room (booked for myself, my husband & our 11yr old son) We was told that the sofa bed in our room had not been arranged & this would be sorted for us. Not a problem as this was 4p.m. & we were going out for a meal. Got into the room & had to open a window as it smelt very damp! The decor was very dated with very questionable stains all over the carpet! We met up with friends & family in the bar & had a couple of drinks before setting off for meal. On our return at 10p.m. we discovered the spare bed had not been sorted in our room We spoke to the owner, who kept walking away without answeing our questions. After at least half hour she marched off & came back with keys to another room expecting our 11 year old son to sleep in his own room!! I refused this option. She eventually admitted she had given our family room to someone else dispite it being booked 2 months earlier! The maagers attitude can only be described as atrocious. At 11.15p.m. she said either use the room or go home!!!
We did stay sleeping 3 in a basic double bed-no sleep for me!
I know and accept mistakes can be made with bookings but her lack of effort to rectify it & horrendous attitude were unacceptable!
On a lighter note breakfast was ok.
We were not charged for our stay but still does not make the experience any better!
I would rather sleep in a bush in the park than return to this hotel!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Paucambra
England
Reviewed 29 August 2009

I stayed at the hotel as I was working in wellingborough for the week. I booked last minute and was glad I did as got a good rate on the room £27.50 per night twin room.(usually £65.00 and up).
On arrival we found water to be leaking through the roof of the tv area and dripping onto the television A little dangerous. We were given our keys and went to our room which was very outdated but did seem to be clean,

We had been working all day so I went straight for a shower where I found the tiles on the wall just about hanging on, then half way through the shower 4 of them fell off narrowly missing my feet. We advised the young and helpful receptionist who moved us to another room without hesitation. The next room was also clean enough but also very dated.

One reason I booked this hotel was because of the free wi-fi as i needed to be online to carry out work in the evenings, however this seemingly did not work and when I advised the owner she told me it was working fine and to check my computer, after day 3 and now well behind with my work I approached the young lady again who told me that it was not working correctly and told me how to get onto the internet another way.

The breakfast was priced at £10.50 which is a joke by anyones standard, I thought that Heston Blumenthal may have been cooking but unfortunately not, I was then told they could do it for £7.50 but that was still about £3.50 to much.

As I only paid a third of the price for the room I know I should not complain but its more of a warning for people who may be duped into paying the full price. BEWARE!!!!!!!

I payed Blackpool B&B prices and thats pretty much what I got.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank JonSG
kings lynn
Reviewed 10 August 2009

This is a very well oiled machine. I have stayed at this hotel twice so far and plan to stay there again very soon. Husband and wife run hotel, this is very much the life of the owners. The chief cooks the most amazing food, perhaps the overal take on the hotel is a little sleepy as in not your stainless steel, glass floor and led light bar with an underground night club. it is still a very comfortable and polite stay.

The service I received could not have been any better, the managers are very friendly and have alot to say to everyone and anyone.

I'm surprised to see the other comments on here and I can only say pop in and have a meal you'll see what I'm saying.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
karen1
Reviewed 8 September 2008

.On Saturday September 6 we arrived at the Columbia Hotel. We were met by a surly receptionist (who later turned out to be the owner as well as the cook).

We asked for a drink form the bar before we went off to a wedding and were told that the bar was not open (despite saying it was on the hotel website).

We asked if we could just buy a bottle of wine as the owner was standing right by the bar, but were told to go to an off licence instead and drink in our rooms.

We asked for a room on a lower floor as I have arthritis and we were sent to a room at the very top of the hotel, having to climb what can only be described as a carpeted fire escape.

Our room smelt of stale urine and was damp. It was dreadful. For £75 we expected better. We opened the window which then swivelled right round and nearly took my eye out. It was dangerous and any child could have fallen to their death. Remember, if a hotel has no pictures of its bedrooms there is usually a good reason why!!

The bathroom had brown tiles and smelt. It was dark, airless and dirty. The next morning we spotted a cockroach.

The final straw was pulling back the covers to see the sheets had some very dubious looking brown stains on them that were clearly old stains. The hotel owner said her sheets were clean as they "ticked a list each tiome they changed the beds". Their laundry service was clearly not good enough.

We did not stay for breakfast in the dreadful dining room as judging by the standards maintained in the bedrooms and public areas, we did not want to risk it,so I cannot comment on the cooking.

Stay at this place at your peril. The family room sells for £105!! Save your money. I would rather sleep in my car than set foot in this disgusting hotel again. I am astounded that it has two AA stars. They clearly need to pay another visit .

We did try to discuss all our concerns with the owner but she walked away from us while we were talking to her.

• Liked — Driving out of the car park
  • Disliked — Brown stains on the sheets and rude managers
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank karen1Karen1
UK, Midlands
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Stayed for one nght - never again.

The Manager seems to be ex military and is at best slightly abrasive. His partner (wife?) does her best. This is a very basic hotel with noisy metal staircases, very basic rooms and poor service.

When we arrived there were people waiting for a function in the evening but the bar was not open. They asked for it to be opened but the staff refused

Everything seemed to be done 'by the clock' with no concept of service. The same was true of breakfast. The doors to the dining room were kept tightly closed until the clock ticked over to the right time.

Not an experience to be repeated.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank northantsfamily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellingborough
Ibis Wellingborough
Premier Inn Northampton Gt Billing/A45 Hotel
The Stanwick Hotel
The Stanwick Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stanwick

Been to The Columbia Hotel? Share your experiences!