“Superb mini break with spa”
Review of Whittlebury Hall

Whittlebury Hall
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Northampton
“Superb mini break with spa”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Booked this one night Escape and Stay Plus break a few months ago. The paperwork emailed through clearly set out what to expect and what time to check in yesterday.
Car parking was easy and while there was a small queue at reception to check in the reception staff were efficient and friendly. They gave us tags for our bags (which were later delivered to our room) and offered to set us up an account for the stay.
Upon arrival at the Leisure Club reception we were given out itineries and the spa / leisure club layout was explained to us.

We used the Spa's Heat and Ice experience and had our 50 minute treatment (that was included in the price) in the morning - both were fantastic and the staff so friendly, polite and knowledgeable. My favourites were the Salt Steam room, Ice and Fruit Facial and the Ice Cave in the Heat and Ice experience. My massage was great!

Lunch was served in the Grand Prix Suite and was two course self served buffet. The choice was good with a range of cold meat, cheese and frittata; salad; jacket potato; soup and bread; pasta; quorn bolognaise; roasted vegetables; meatballs and some fresh fruit salad. Everyone wore their robes and so no need to change between spa and lunch.

After lunch we took a swim in the leisure club pool which was nice and has a steam room, Jacuzzi and sauna in as well. There were a number of reserved beds around the room but the spa was fully booked for the day and so management of this would have been difficult.

We had a second treatment each in the late afternoon (which we had added on to our package) and again it was fantastic. My friend used the gym for a short period while I had my treatment.

Throughout the day in both the leisure club, spa and treatment waiting area there was an abundance of fresh fruit and water for you to help yourself to. There was also a herbal tea of the day in the spa and in both the pool and Heat and Ice areas were more water coolers to keep yourself hydrated.

After all our treatments we tried out the swinging chairs in the relaxation area and had a quick half hour in the waterbeds!

Upon arrival at our room we discovered a huge bathroom with Espa toiletries. The windows were open and we could hear the end of the day's racing at Silverstone but after this had plenty of peace and quiet.

Dinner was served in Aston's restaurant and costs £36 per head if not part of a package (ours was). There was a lot of choice for all three courses and staff were polite. I didn't like my main course though and the waiter didn't seem bothered when he came back to take our plates that this had been the case. He had been very quick to take our order and deliver a course in a flash but was nowhere to be seen for me to point my dislike out. On our way out we bumped into someone we knew who had had something they weren't keen on and had been given an alternative main so this was clearly expected practice and we were unlucky. The chicken liver parfait was delicious!

We relaxed with a bottle of wine on the terrace and then moved into the very F1 themed Silverstone bar. Service here was fantastic as well.

Our room was still warm when we returned to it but the hotel have provided a fan and this served to do a very good job at keeping us cool as we slept. The only noise we heard was the bottles being emptied into recycling at approx. 1130 pm and even that was done very swiftly. The beds were comfy and I had one the best hotel night's sleep in a few years!

Breakfast this morning was a good self serve buffet selection of hot Full English items; fresh pastries; a range of fruit, fruit juice and cereal; toast and some granola and yogurt. Tea and coffee were served at your table however we waited 10 mins for ours but once the supervisor realise we had not been served he kept an eye out and tended to us himself. There was one member of staff who was filling up juices etc that was walking at such speed and so close to people that at one point she knocked my plate of cooked breakfast spilling the mushrooms inside my top and only muttered "oops sorry" before continuing. Breakfast servers were the only real let down to the weekend.

Over all this was a superb weekend and at £129 per person (without the wine and extra treatment), a bargain! Both my friend and I spent much of the time between courses trying to work out when we could come back! Worth every penny!

Room Tip: We had room 418 which while it was at the back of the hotel near the loading / delivery entrance all...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tracy3831
WHGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear tracy3831

Thank you for your excellent TripAdvisor review and your feedback following your recent spa break. We are so pleased that you had a superb stay with us and that you had such a good time enjoying all of the spa and leisure facilities as well as your treatments. Your comments have been passed on to all of the teams and we do look forward to seeing you again soon.

Guest Relations Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Rugby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

From start to finish our one night spa day plus stay was perfect. We booked direct with the hotel booking taken by Beth who sorted out our entire stay and booked our spa times lunch and dinner times which all went to plan so thank you to her . Checking in was efficient and then to the spa which was great busy but not over crowded. Lunch was excellent we were seated by Rita who was really helpful and friendly food was self service and very good quality. We had a spa treatment included and both myself and friend had back massages in the duo room my treatment was carried out by Kimberly and was superb I would request her again. Our club room was great and spotless we did need to ring to get toiletries as there was only enough for one and also the hospitality tray was only set for one. Dinner in Ashton's was beautiful and our waitress's Hayley was very helpful and service was very good. We had a good nights sleep and had to breakfast separately which was fine . I used the gym twice during the stay and it's very good the machines are new clean and it's cool in the gym. Breakfast was served in Ashton's and although busy the food was fresh and my coffee topped up by Rob without having to ask for it. I would def recommend the hotel and spa for a girls break and we both hope to go back soon .

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Sarah B
WHGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Sarah B

Thank you for your lovely review and fabulous feedback regarding your recent one night stay. We are delighted that you found the experience to be perfect from start to finish and that you were so pleased with the facilities, food and service. Your kind comments, especially those for the individual staff members mentioned, have been passed on to all of the teams. We do hope to see you again soon.

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I enjoyed a day at the spa with a light workout and steam then shower ... The only problem was that there is no A/C!!!!! The gorgeous locker room was sheltering! So much for blow drying your hair ... Anyway my pedicure was wonderful :). The Romanesque room was very relaxing. Unfortunately I didn't time my nails properly and couldn't take advantage of the heat and ice rooms, I understand they are nice.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
WHGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear KSoltis

Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your day at the Spa and that you had a wonderful pedicure as well. We do hope that you will have the opportunity to return in the future so that you can fully experience the heat and ice facilities.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I proposed to my now-fiancée at the Whittlebury Hall day spa. Great organisation and constant communication from all of the staff there made the whole thing possible (not to mention special!). I wanted to do it at this venue in particular as the whole set-up of the day spa is leagues ahead of your typical hotel-spa.

I had arranged it so that she would have a romantic experience there with a friend not knowing that I had organised the whole thing. The last treatment of the day was a massage, they left her laying on her front so that I could finish the massage and then deliver the ultimate surprise by getting down on one knee afterwards. The mood of the private treatment rooms was perfect for this and to be honest the whole thing could not have gone better.

We were greeted with champagne afterwards and I had also booked their biggest modern suite room. Very nice, and very big too! It's not often you stay in a hotel room that has its own living room as well as 2 HD TV's in it.

After updating all our friends and relatives to the good news we went down to have a three course meal that was provided by the Whittlebury Hall hotel. The standard of food was excellent and we were treated like royalty by all of the serving staff.

A great overall experience, I would highly recommend Whittlebury Hall for both it's spa and hotel facilities.

Room Tip: If you want something special then order their room 300 suite.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew W
Dear Andrew W

Thank you for your fantastic TripAdvisor review and for sharing your wonderful experience with us - many congratulations to you both. We are absolutely delighted that your whole day went according to plan, together with the help of all the staff members, and more so that it was made so special for you. We do look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Arrived around 12 midday with 4 friends for a girly overnight spa stay. Went to the hotel reception and checked in, but we were not allowed our rooms until between 3 & 4 pm. In our package we had either an express facial or a head/neck/shoulder massage, I chose the facial which was very nice. Headed down to the beautiful main swimming pool which has sunbeds all the way round, plus a sauna and steam room. Then we had a look at the Heat & Ice pool/experience which was also included in our package. This was amazing and my favourite part! Lots of different 'cubicles' with different showers in, plus lovely steam rooms, an ice 'cave' although it was more an area with a large amount of crushed ice which you were meant to put on your body after all the heat treatments. Lovely massage pool in the centre with powerful water jets in the centre. Lovely relaxing atmosphere. A 2 course lunch was also included, consisting of salmon/meat/veggie option plus salads, bread rolls etc and a fruit salad with a delicious Greek yoghurt for dessert. Lovely remainder of the afternoon was spent by the main pool relaxing on loungers.

Our rooms were nice with a fridge, hairdryer, tv, bathrobes etc. Only complaint - TOO HOT!!! It was a very hot day and they had provided a fan in the room, but it wasn't enough. Hotels these days need air con installed in the rooms.

In the evening we also had included in our package a meal at Aston's restaurant. This was beautiful, really nice well cooked food, not too big, not too small. Nice relaxed atmosphere. Also had drinks outside on the terrace as the weather was great. Only complaint here was high cost of the wine at the bar. I know this is the case for most restaurants/hotels, but £21.50 for an average bottle of white wine really is taking the mick!

Next morning my friends used the gym and swimming pool (while I had a lovely lay in!) then we went for a DELICIOUS breakfast, again at Aston's. Everything you can think of for breakfast, plus the service was fantastic.

Overall a great experience, would love to go back one day.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
WHGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Joteddy

Thank you for your excellent TripAdvisor review following your recent visit to Whittlebury Hall. We are delighted that you had such a great experience with us and that you thoroughly enjoyed all of the fabulous facilities that we have to offer. Your lovely comments regarding the food and service have been passed on to all of the teams and we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Thriplow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Came here as part of a work workshop with an evening event after the two days. Food was a bit lacklustre and one colleague described the lamb "as a bit like dog food". I don't like too fancy but it wasn't great looking or tasking.

We stayed in the hotel after our event (mainly just to sleep so no high hopes) and the hotel had provided only one set of robes, soaps etc for a double room booked for two people. Not that it mattered much but it perhaps showed signs of lack of attention to detail.

It also took an age to get around the place. The corridors reminded me of something from The Shining and the slow insanity of trying to maneuver around to place (to just find reception, dammit!)

Again, used for purposes outside of my control but adequate nevertheless. Wouldn't come here for a personal trip.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 384maxh
Dear 384maxh

Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review and for your comments about your stay. We are sorry that you did not enjoy the evening meal and the food was not too your taste. Your feedback has been passed on to the Executive Head Chef and his team.

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I booked an overnight stay for myself & my sister in law and must say it was very good value.
The hotel check-in was smooth & easy.
The heat & ice experiences were very good, although there were times it was very full. It's all indoors and it would be nice if there were some jacuzzi outside, especially for the summertime.
I liked the little extra touches I wasn't expecting considering the price paid (cold flannels, in fruit & ice, by the heat experiences to cool you down. Unlimited fruit and fruit tea & water too).
There was only 1 exercise class which we booked (it was more relax than stretch) and we also booked truffle making (plus eating) & wine tasting too. all of which were included in the price.
We didn't nook lunch as we'd booked a 3 course evening meal and didn't think we;d need a 2 course lunch too. It's far better value if you book the lunch too. We ate in the bistro and had champagne afternoon tea. It was lovely but we didn't realise we'd be getting more cakes in the truffle making class too!
We were able to go to our room around 3pm. It was basic but we were only sleeping there, so it didn't bother us. there was a fridge too.
We stayed in the heat and ice experience and the spa chillout area until shortly before 8pm and quickly got dressed for our evening meal in the spa area.
The evening meal was ok (it was a little too salty for me) and we had a nice bottle of red too.
We were very tired from a full day of relaxing, eating and drinking and soon drifted off to sleep.
We had breakfast the following day and it catered for everything anyone could ever think of for breakfast. We were able to stay and use the leisure facilities until 11am and so we use the pool,sauna and hot room but the heat & ice spa experience is far nicer!
Staff here were very friendly, attentive & provided excellent service. Nothing seemed too much trouble.
I'd certainly go again, especially as they have such good offers all the year through

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
WHGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whittlebury Hall, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Tracy M

Thank you for your recent review following your visit to Whittlebury Hall in February. We are really pleased that you had a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing overnight stay with us and that the service from the staff was so friendly and attentive. The packages certainly are good value for money and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Guest Relations Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Towcester
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
#3 of 34 in Milton Keynes
Holiday Inn Express Northampton M1, Jct 15
Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel

Been to Whittlebury Hall? Share your experiences!