“Very good Old English Inn, with only one 'Hic-Up'.”

The Saracens Head Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Hornchurch Essex.
“Very good Old English Inn, with only one 'Hic-Up'.”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This being about our 11th or 12th stay in an 'Old English Inn' I must say this is by far, one of the better hotels in this group. The Bedroom & Bathrooms were first class. Very well furnished, spotlessly clean, great shower and comfy beds. The bars areas were spacious and well decorated. The Saracens Head served the usual 'OEI' menu with a few 'specials' which was served hot & presented well. Being a fan of real ale, I was very pleased with the beer. There is a large car park which was adequate and included an outside seating area, that proved very pleasant for we were very lucky regarding the weather. He manager and his staff were very friendly, professional & helpful, a credit to the 'Green King' company. However the only 'Hick-Up we had was at dinner Sunday Night as we had to wait an hour & a half for our main course. We were a party of four persons and noticed others enter after us, sit down, order there meals, be served, eat it and leave whilst we still awaited our order. We kept asking & asking our poor waitress for our meals and she was so embarrassed by our long patient wait. This was not a fault of the serving staff as they tried their best to 'find' our order. This was also VERY embarrassing for my wife and I, for we had in fact recommended friends to accompany us away. for the weekend. The poor little waitress (who's name escapes me) was still apologizing at breakfast (which was first class) Monday morning. Needless to say, Sunday night after eventually eating our meals we were reluctant to spend any further time and money in the hotel so we went across the road to Towcester Conservative Club to have a very sociable evening. This episode was such a shame and if it had not happened I would a given the 'Saracens Head' 5 stars. But, all in all this is a very good 'Old English Inn' in most aspects very well run (apart from the kitchen) great accommodation, lovely staff and 'pub grub' food. Ordinarily I would have recommended others to stay there. yours sincerely JTM France.

Room Tip: We were at the back of the hotel where it was nice & quiet. Apparently some guests at the front...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at The Saracens Head Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you for your recent comment regarding your stay with us. I am glad that you found our Bedrooms to be of the high standards that we pride ourselves with. I am sorry that you found the service in the Bar to be slow but I can assure you that it is an aspect that we will improve. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Towcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We popped on to the Saracens today for a quick drink only but we ended up having a meal as well .it was a lovely surprise to see The Saracens back on track after a few problems last year which resulted in us not returning there ( even though we are very local ) for well over 6 months .
So glad we decided to eat there. Thoroughly enjoyed our meals , great value and fantastic service.
Glad to have our local back .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at The Saracens Head Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
We're really pleased that all the hardwork by the team to get the place back on track is paying off. Our aim is to make the Saracens an intregal part of community in Towcester and thank you for letting us know we're going the right way! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Norfolk
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed here one night on business. Olde worlde building full of character. But with nicely refurbished bathrooms, so the accomodation was to good standard. The rooms are attached to the pub serving a good selection of real ales & good selection of pub food. Food & service was excellent, followed by a nice breakfast next morning. Staff were also friendly which helps! Would definitely return here

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at The Saracens Head Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for your recent feedback in regards to your stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your all round stay with us and that we have achieved to provide a great experience for you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My parents have lived in Towcester for 17 years, and the only reason I stayed here was because there was no bedroom space for me and my partner at their house! The hotel itself is rather nice; clean and comfortable, with large rooms that are well-decorated and furnished. No problem at all with the hotel stay, although our toilet never flushed properly and the bath was stained with plaster, which was unfortunate.
The lady at the hotel Reception was lovely, as was the waitress who helped me out the next day when we had an atrocious meal. It was for a surprise 50th birthday, and although the Manager was very kind and did give us money off our bill, the food was exceptionally poor and the way the whole booking was handled, from the confusion and high-handedness over pre-orders down to a balloon we had bought being popped by the chef in the kitchen, meant that although the stay was good, it wasn't worth £80 and I certainly wouldn't have a meal there again unless I had to. The roasts ordered were mostly cold, all out of frozen packs, the steak and ale pie tasted awful, burgers cremated and even the chips were only lukewarm.
I have been a customer at this venue for years, although I now live in London, and since it has changed hands it's standards have dropped decidedly. Unfortunately, it's now a cheap Wetherspoons-type place, and if it wasn't for the two lovely girls who tried to sort my problems, and the Manager giving us a decent discount, I would have been left absolutely furious.

Room Tip: Rooms are ok if you get a cheap deal on a third party site, but eat elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kat_LDN0365
Many thanks for your feedback on your recent experience. I am sorry that your experience in the restaurant was not up to our usual standard, I will ensure all of your feedback is communicated to the team to ensure this doesn’t happen again. We are happy your room was comfortable. We hope to welcome you back in the near future
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Have used this hotel before so decided to have our wedding there in April 14 , after a shaky start with the planning it turned out to be a great wedding with the food excellent and the staff good .

All of our 100 guest said it was a great little venue so i would defo recommend this to others , wedding room is also good with great bed lol

Room Tip: Room 6 is the best rrom
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and I am pleased your wedding was a success. We hope to see you again soon.
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The Saracens Head Hotel is an excellent and well presented hotel. My room was very comfortable and the bed was excellent. Breakfast was well presented with a comprehensive menu and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 1 which was very quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at The Saracens Head Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for your recent review for the Saracens Head. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and our menu was to your liking. We hope to welcome you back soon
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We pre booked for lunch for 4 adults and 1 child. The bookings advisor sent the menu for us to pre order which was a very good idea as it was going to be very busy. Food was most delicious. My father and I had soup which was nice and hot. We all had a roast lunch and there was a good variety of vegetables. Pudds were very yummy. The waitress gave us the right amount of time between courses. She also did all our drinks orders so there was no queuing at the bar. Would highly recommend :-)

Stayed March 2014
Thank you for recent review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your Mother’s day lunch with us. Your kind words will be passed on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Towcester
Whittlebury Hall
#4 of 4 in Buckingham
Hopping Hare
Hopping Hare
#3 of 29 in Northampton

Been to The Saracens Head Hotel? Share your experiences!