“COMFORTABLE STAY FOR US.”

The Saracens Head Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Towcester
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We had a comfortable one night stay here but would stay again and for longer too if necessary. We booked a superior room (No. 8) which was large and to the rear. The breakfast service could have been better. I got one small cup of coffee and had to look around for the waitress to get a refill. I had a kipper for breakfast which was a poor quality boil in the bag job. That was disappointing. There was however plenty of choice on the breakfast buffet with no restriction. We visited for the horse racing and the race course is an easy one mile walk straight down the A5. A few pubs are on the way to punctuate your walk.

Room Tip: Rear rooms may be quieter. The very busy A5 runs at the front.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank garstonian
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at The Saracens Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your stay with us. I am glad that you found our accommodation very satisfactory. I am sorry that you found the standard of breakfast below par but I am sure this can be improved for your next stay with us.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Picked this hotel purely because we found a bargain offer in the newspaper and it was the closest hotel to Silverstone- infact it was less than a ten minute drive away. The hotel was busy when we arrived on the Friday evening but we just managed to squeeze into the last space in the car park. Reception was unmanned as we arrived but a cheerful, friendly young man soon came to welcome us and hand over our room keys. Very pleasantly surprised that our room was spacious and full of character, with a large comfortable bed, compact bathroom, tea and coffee facilities and free wi-fi. Slept well with very little noise coming from the bar. Breakfast (continental and full english if required) was very tasty and promptly served. Arriving back at the hotel on the Saturday night we found the car park packed out as there was a function going on - this did mean that we had to park a good five minute walk away ( fortunately it was not raining and neither of us have problems with our mobility). Again we slept well and enjoyed a filling breakfast ( just a pity someone decided to start hoovering the bar area as we were eating ....funnily enough this was just after the couple at the next table had commented that at least this time no-one was hoovering !! ) Would definitely stay here again as it is extremely convenient for Silverstone circuit.

Room Tip: We were in room 4 which looks out on to the main street - but even though I am a light sleeper I was...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at The Saracens Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am glad that you found our rooms to be more than satisfactory and you enjoyed our breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us in the near future

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Bedroom and Bathroom spotlessly keen and well furnished. The bed was so comfy and bigger than one is used to. Unfortunately we had to wait nearly 45 minutes for dinner. The breakfasts are well presented and there is a good choice and yes the service was very much better than at dinner. Staff helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am happy that you enjoyed our rooms and breakfast in the morning. The speed of service in the restaurant is of high importance to us which I am sure we can improve.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This being about our 11th or 12th stay in an 'Old English Inn' I must say this is by far, one of the better hotels in this group. The Bedroom & Bathrooms were first class. Very well furnished, spotlessly clean, great shower and comfy beds. The bars areas were spacious and well decorated. The Saracens Head served the usual 'OEI' menu with a few 'specials' which was served hot & presented well. Being a fan of real ale, I was very pleased with the beer. There is a large car park which was adequate and included an outside seating area, that proved very pleasant for we were very lucky regarding the weather. He manager and his staff were very friendly, professional & helpful, a credit to the 'Green King' company. However the only 'Hick-Up we had was at dinner Sunday Night as we had to wait an hour & a half for our main course. We were a party of four persons and noticed others enter after us, sit down, order there meals, be served, eat it and leave whilst we still awaited our order. We kept asking & asking our poor waitress for our meals and she was so embarrassed by our long patient wait. This was not a fault of the serving staff as they tried their best to 'find' our order. This was also VERY embarrassing for my wife and I, for we had in fact recommended friends to accompany us away. for the weekend. The poor little waitress (who's name escapes me) was still apologizing at breakfast (which was first class) Monday morning. Needless to say, Sunday night after eventually eating our meals we were reluctant to spend any further time and money in the hotel so we went across the road to Towcester Conservative Club to have a very sociable evening. This episode was such a shame and if it had not happened I would a given the 'Saracens Head' 5 stars. But, all in all this is a very good 'Old English Inn' in most aspects very well run (apart from the kitchen) great accommodation, lovely staff and 'pub grub' food. Ordinarily I would have recommended others to stay there. yours sincerely JTM France.

Room Tip: We were at the back of the hotel where it was nice & quiet. Apparently some guests at the front...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your recent comment regarding your stay with us. I am glad that you found our Bedrooms to be of the high standards that we pride ourselves with. I am sorry that you found the service in the Bar to be slow but I can assure you that it is an aspect that we will improve. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We popped on to the Saracens today for a quick drink only but we ended up having a meal as well .it was a lovely surprise to see The Saracens back on track after a few problems last year which resulted in us not returning there ( even though we are very local ) for well over 6 months .
So glad we decided to eat there. Thoroughly enjoyed our meals , great value and fantastic service.
Glad to have our local back .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at The Saracens Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

We're really pleased that all the hardwork by the team to get the place back on track is paying off. Our aim is to make the Saracens an intregal part of community in Towcester and thank you for letting us know we're going the right way! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed here one night on business. Olde worlde building full of character. But with nicely refurbished bathrooms, so the accomodation was to good standard. The rooms are attached to the pub serving a good selection of real ales & good selection of pub food. Food & service was excellent, followed by a nice breakfast next morning. Staff were also friendly which helps! Would definitely return here

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at The Saracens Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for your recent feedback in regards to your stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your all round stay with us and that we have achieved to provide a great experience for you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My parents have lived in Towcester for 17 years, and the only reason I stayed here was because there was no bedroom space for me and my partner at their house! The hotel itself is rather nice; clean and comfortable, with large rooms that are well-decorated and furnished. No problem at all with the hotel stay, although our toilet never flushed properly and the bath was stained with plaster, which was unfortunate.
The lady at the hotel Reception was lovely, as was the waitress who helped me out the next day when we had an atrocious meal. It was for a surprise 50th birthday, and although the Manager was very kind and did give us money off our bill, the food was exceptionally poor and the way the whole booking was handled, from the confusion and high-handedness over pre-orders down to a balloon we had bought being popped by the chef in the kitchen, meant that although the stay was good, it wasn't worth £80 and I certainly wouldn't have a meal there again unless I had to. The roasts ordered were mostly cold, all out of frozen packs, the steak and ale pie tasted awful, burgers cremated and even the chips were only lukewarm.
I have been a customer at this venue for years, although I now live in London, and since it has changed hands it's standards have dropped decidedly. Unfortunately, it's now a cheap Wetherspoons-type place, and if it wasn't for the two lovely girls who tried to sort my problems, and the Manager giving us a decent discount, I would have been left absolutely furious.

Room Tip: Rooms are ok if you get a cheap deal on a third party site, but eat elsewhere!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kat_LDN0365

Many thanks for your feedback on your recent experience. I am sorry that your experience in the restaurant was not up to our usual standard, I will ensure all of your feedback is communicated to the team to ensure this doesn’t happen again. We are happy your room was comfortable. We hope to welcome you back in the near future

Also consider these accommodations in or near Towcester
Travelodge Towcester Silverstone
4 mi away
The Walnut Tree Inn
The Walnut Tree Inn
#11 of 26 in Northampton

Been to The Saracens Head Hotel? Share your experiences!