“Lovely period hotel”
Review of Gothic House

Gothic House
Reviewed 3 November 2013

One almost feels as if you have taken a step back in time when entering the Sackville room with its heavy red tapestry curtains, 4 poster and large wardrobe. Atmosphere is fabulous and surprisingly the rest of the suite has been upgraded to the "best of" with a large shower and bath tub. I was disappointed not be supplied with a face cloth. Still trying to work out how the English wash themselves. A little noisy for a light sleeper.... quietens down after midnight and then there is the church bell. True reflection of the name!

Cleanliness, staff and breakfast all superb. Free wifi. A memorable stay

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank momand
There are newer reviews for Gothic House

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Friendly staff, interesting building and room, good location and excellent breakfast. I enjoy staying at individual hotels likes this much more than that the rather bland, indifferent and uniform hotel chains.
Arrived at night and so was a little surprised to pull back the curtains and find that my room overlooked the graveyard (I should have guessed from the name!)
Bed was a bit too soft for me, but most people would like that!
Tip: Good gastro-pub food in bar downstairs, English breakfast is better than most.

Room Tip: Rooms at back overlook church, rooms at front the High Street
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank grahamrp
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for one night when attending a wedding near by.The Cromwell room was small but perfectly formed,beautifully decorated and felt very homely.It overlooked the church yard which meant it was lovely and quiet overnight.The staff were very friendly and breakfast was good too in the lovely cafe bar downstairs. The only tiny thing that let it down was a creaky bed!Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I spent one night in the Gothic House, I found it really clean and very quaint. I loved the room I was in, it looked right over the Church grounds and was very quiet, great if you have travelled thousands of miles.
It would have been nice to know where to leave the keys, so I left them in a cup and not in view just in case.
The only gripe I have, is I asked for gluten free breakfast as I was leaving very early the next day to drive over 500 miles and they forgot my tray!! I was starving by the time I got to the highway however, they did email me to apologise and then reimbursed £5.00 to my account.
I would indeed go there again, I loved the decor, very peaceful and soothing.

Room Tip: It seems to me all the rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mctutums
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The Gothic House is in a great location in East Grinstead High Street. Entry is via CJs bar which is lively and busy. Staff were excellent and couldn't do enough. The suite was amazing, with a wonderfully comfortable four poster bed , and luxurious bath/shower room with a lovely roll top bath. Breakfast (served in CJs) was delicious and all cooked fresh to order. Quite expensive, but worth it. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RussB61
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed for just one night, but loved it. we were in the Cromwell room, as the back so no street noise and because it's a 14th century building and therefore has a quirky layout, no noise (water cisterns, door bangin etc) from the other two rooms either. Lovely blue and white decor with a huge bay window overlooking the churchyard. The bedroom and bathroom were both spotlessly clean, with hand soap,shower gel, shampoo and conditioner all provided. Plenty of tea/coffee and hot chocolate provided in the room and when we asked if we could have some Earl Grey they gave us six teabags and told us to let them know if we needed more! The floor was a bit uneaven and creaky, as was the bed, but it all addd to the quaintness and charm of the place. TV, wifi, haridryer, everything you need. Very friendly staff too. The rooms are over a coffee shop/bar, CJ's, which offers tapas style food. Unfortunately we were there on a Monday and they close at 7.00pm on Mondays and Tuesdays, so we didn't get to sample the food, but we did have time to sit out on the roof level decking (smokers to the left of you, non-smokers to the right was much appreciated), with a glass of wine surrounded by olive trees in pots, grapevines overhead, and again with views over the churchyard. A very peaceful and tranquil setting. The full english breakfast served down in CJ's the next morning was fine, nothing special, but tasty enough and for £65 B & B, very acceptable. We did have one issue which was that the toilet cistern took an age, and I mean an age to fill, so could only be used once every couple of hours, but my husband had a look and fixed it fairly easily so we didn't mention it. Hopefully, it's still working well! This place is certainly worth staying at if ever you're in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nician96
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We arrived early, but this was handled well and much to our satisfaction.
The room was clean, comfortable all that you could ask.
Breakfast was delicious if only we had had time to stay for some Tapas, maybe next time.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
We'll be back

Room Tip: Choose the Cromwell room as it is at the back of the property and does not face the road.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Gothic House? Share your experiences!