“Worth every penny!”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“Worth every penny!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

after seeing mixed reviews, I wasn't so sure. However the room was lovely, tidy and modern. Food in the bay tree restaurant was amazing (I recommend the raspberry sorbet for pud!). We were due to stay for just one night but decided to stay longer.

We didn't receive housekeeping as we overslept however they changed our room for us to allow us to have fresh towels etc. really helpful and attentive, and we didn't even ask for a new room. Second room was right next door, they offered to help us with luggage and the front desk staff were really polite and friendly!

Will definitely be back again soon.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
VShrivastava, Manager at Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear Oscar M

Thank you for taking the time and placing this wonderful review on trip advisor.

I am very pleased with your comments that you enjoyed your stay with us and will look forward in welcoming you back in not too distant future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a real mixture of pros and cons. Booked a deal on last minute.com for the next night for me and my boyfriends anniversary.

On arrival it is not overly impressive, not the most glamours of exteriors and situated right next to a main road and a building site (obviously not the hotels fault). However inside is quite a different story, the decor throughout most of the hotel is well done and feels 4* as you would hope! Our room unfortunately had a view straight onto the building site and traffic was quite noisy. I do hope they didn't place us on this side of the hotel if there was spare rooms on the side with a view of the garden as this would have been much nicer! The room was also very small with an even smaller bed! Hairs in the bath was another downer!

The spa area is nice, small pool which could do with a slight clean but jacuzzi was lovely. Steam room was very plastic and basic- felt like this could have been improved. A nice touch in the pool area is a phone you can use to order drinks straight to pool side!

Staff were all very friendly and overall the hotel has a relaxed ambiance and we had an enjoyable experience. If the things I've mentioned could be improved it would feel more with its 4 star grading.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
VShrivastava, Manager at Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your recent review on the hotel.

There are limited numbers of garden facing rooms and whenever possible we do allocate the garden facing rooms first but it is not always possible especially when the hotel is busy. I am terribbly sorry that you found a hair in the bath and this has been brought up with Housekeeping department as normally our cleanliness standards are very high indeed.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback and hope that you will be staying with us again

Greenhithe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Took my mum here as a mothers day treat - Not great, although staff seemed friendly and helpful on arrival and gave us all the info we needed (Alicia was great) sorry if that's wrong
So we headed off to our room, which was very small but pleasant enough..
We then went to the spa to try and book some treatments (probably should do this in advance)
after waiting for a long while, it seemed to be deserted, no one was at the desk, so after a good ten mins someone arrived....
Not the average spa receptionist but who am I to judge... Seemed a slight chore to fit us in at last moment and almost felt we had put this man out. He then proceeded to moan about the staff at the hotel & about the younger generation - not massively professional

Anyway we got booked in and went for a swim in the pool that stunk of old feet and looked murky and dirty, we even got asked to cover a hole at the bottom of the pool with a weight... lovely :/
But the treatments were lovely! Becca was amazing and so professional and I really enjoyed my facial.
My mum however was made to feel a bit awkward as her massage lady said "Oh I though I was gonna be finishing at 4" Not really making my mum feel great and then continuously spoke about her kids for the first 15 mins of the massage...

The food however in the Baytree was lovely as were the staff and we really enjoyed our meal and some wine - that goes for breakfast too (minus the wine obviously)

Floor upstairs very creaky and noisy - lucky I sleep with ear plugs

Yeah, not going to be back here in a hurry - in fact you'd probably;y have to pay me

Room Tip: Don't have bottom floor unless you enjoy incessant noise
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your views and experience on trip advisor website following your recent stay.

Firstly I must say that your comments about most of the hotel staff are highly appreciative and I would like to thank you on behalf of my team.

I am sorry that the spa reception member was not great on the customer service. To have some good interaction our therapists do converse with the guests but my apologies if your mother did not like this.

We do very strict water checks at regular intervals and please rest assured that the pool conforms to stringent cleanliness and health standards.

We hope to welcome you back again in future.

Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This hotel is fine for an overnight stay. Can't say the staff were amazingly welcoming. The room was small as was the double bed (although it was comfy) and the robes in the bathroom appeared unwashed. Very hard to locate the hairdryer - only glimpsed it when sitting down on the bed (it was hanging under the desk). On check out there was a HUGE queue and people were getting very agitated even though the receptionist did her best.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your review on the hotel following your recent visit and the constructive feedback.

It appears the robes in your room had become slightly worn and have since been replaced with new stock, but please rest assured that all the robes get thoroughly washed after each guest departs.

We had the correct level of staffing on the front desk that day however the majority of guests came down at the same time causing a queue to form for a small period which I offer my apologies for. We also offer express checkout on the busy days which facilitates guests a straight check out without coming to reception.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback and I hope you will choose to stay with us again in future.

Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I booked this taking advantage of Groupon's offer (£59 for 2 including breakfast) When I booked I was told the groupon offer was no longer valid even though I had already booked and paid for it via Groupon. The hotel staff explained I would have to pay £10 extra for staying on a Saturday and as they had no standard rooms left I could pay £15 to upgrade to a superior room. I was quite happy with this arrangement. When I arrived I booked in easily enough and was directed to my room. On arrival I was surprised to see how tiny it was. The bed was only a double which I don't think I've ever seen in a hotel before! Anyway It clearly wasn't a superior room so I rang reception to enquire and was told they would call me back. After 10 mins of waiting in the broom cupboard sized room I got bored and headed off to the spa.
The spa was very crowded. But being on my own I was able to get a lounger and a glass of wine and relaxed for a couple of hours before my husband joined me. The porter who was running round the spa area was extremely helpful as were the bar staff in the Qube which looked nice and relaxing.
We didn't stay for dinner opting to go to the Star Inn instead.
The bed albeit very small was very comfy at least. HOWEVER! Room 124 is to be avoided at all costs. The noise from the room above was unbearable. Please don't get me wrong, im pretty sure they weren't holding auditions for the new Riverdance up there but every tiny movement resulted in such loud creaking I was seriously worried there was something wrong with the ceiling. I would have complained but it was late and I was naked and incredibly tired. One could only assume I would be moved but I really didn't relish packing so late.
Breakfast was nice, hot and plentiful. Staff were also pleasant.
Overall it was worth £59 for not really any more.

Room Tip: NOT 124! Perhaps all the ground floor rooms are the same? I'd ask for one on a higher floor per...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
VShrivastava, Manager at Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for submitting your recent review on the hotel.
I am disappointed to read that the size of the superior room was smaller than your expectation however all superior rooms are 17-19 sqm which is comparative to most other four star hotel rooms.
I offer my apologies for the late night noise and I am sorry that some of your fellow guests were not as considerate as yourself. If we had known at the time we could of moved rooms or even talk to the guests above, but I do understand that due to this being so late you did not want to move rooms.
Thank you for the kind comments about the breakfast and the service from our staff members and I hope you will be staying with us in near future.

Hertfordshire, UK
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Booked this hotel with a parking package with APH. Perfect hotel for overnight stay before our flight the next day. Could not fault the hotel. Very close to APH parking which made it a perfect location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
VShrivastava, Manager at Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for placing this nice review on the hotel.

I am pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay here at the hotel prior to your holidays and you found the hotel an excellent place for park and fly

We will look forward in welcoming you back in near future.

Billingshurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Booked a standard room to attend a friend's birthday celebration. On a superficial level the hotel looks very good - lovely reception area, very welcoming staff, however, upon closer inspection I was disappointed with the overall standard of this hotel and value for money. My room, which was on the first floor, was ok but somewhat tired. I couldn't locate a lift so had to drag my suitcase up varied flights of stairs. The bedding seemed a little ancient - the linen was not crisp and white but a patchy shade of cream and the sheets were suffering with some pilling. One of the dressing gowns in the bathroom had either not been washed or was badly stained - it looked as though someone had received a spray tan and left most of it on the robe plus makeup stains all over the front - yuck! There was also a very unpleasant odour coming up through the plug hole in the bathroom basin. I decided to give the hotel pool in the spa a try prior to meeting up with friends but wished I hadn't. The brochure describes the pool area as light and airy and the photos look amazing, however, the reality is far from this. There was no lighting in or around the pool which I found to be dark and dingy and the water seemed very cloudy with greasy tidemarks on the tiles around the edge of the pool. Suffice to say, I got out only five minutes after entering!! The pool area in general looked like it needed a face lift. Later, I had a three course meal in the 'Bay Tree' restaurant which was mediocre. Although the presentation was good, some of the portions were a little sparse and lacked overall quality and at £25, did not represent good value for money! On a more positive note, I slept surprisingly well and given the hotel's busy location, there was little nighttime noise. Breakfast was served in the 'Bay Tree' restaurant and unfortunately the experience was similar to the previous evening. Although there was a good choice available, the quality was poor. Unfortunately, it was self-service, resulting in a luke warm, sub standard breakfast. Having requested tea, I received coffee and after requesting a poached egg, I received something that represented a plastic golf ball with an equally hard middle! I don't think I will be going back to this hotel for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Ask to view room first
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on the Hotel.
I am truly disappointed that you did not enjoy all of the hotel facilities. I am quite surprised that you could not tolerate more than 5 minutes in the pool however the pool had been busy all day with lots of guests staying for a few hours and having a great time there. On busy days we do increase the number of checks to maintain cleanliness. We have looked at the lighting around pool area and found it bright enough and we have never had a complaint about lack of lighting in this area.
The robe was indeed cleaned but did have a stain on it which did not come out during laundering and has since been removed from stock, I have spoken to the housekeeping team to make sure they check this more diligently in future.
I apologise for the less than acceptable experience on this occasion and hope that you will give us another opportunity to make things right next time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Grinstead
South Lodge Hotel
South Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lower Beeding
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,568 reviews

Been to Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!