“I doubt I would return!”

Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have just returned from staying at the Felbridge Hotel and Spa as we were going to a friends wedding nearby, and I must say I doubt we will be going back.
I had booked my partner in with our baby into a superior double room, which when we arrived had one of the smallest doubles we had ever seen. The hotel were good in so far as we requested a cot for our baby, which they had set up in the room before we arrived.
Once we had put our belongings in our room we took it in turns to have our spa treatments, which I must say were great, but as said by another reviewer no one seemed bothered on reception to explain the facilities at all, except to say " the pool is through there".
We went to bed, baby sleeping soundly, only to be woken by the fire alarm going off at about 10.20 waking everyone up. Now with a screeming baby, I went to reception to find out what was wrong " Sorry sir, there is a fault in the system" so I thought while I am up I might as well go outside to cool off (rooms are very warm even with the fans on), look up and see 2 people smoking out of their window on the first floor, I go back to reception and after waiting for the receptionists to finish their chat in the back room, explain the fire alarm might have been triggered by people smoking in their room. One member of staff went outside but the people smoking had finished. I asked reception if that caused the alarm, " No sir, the fault was on the other side of the building", but no particular rush to deal with the problem. Back to room to try to settle my baby with my partner, which took a few hours.
Next morning, we were treated to the alarm going off another 4 times, I spoke to reception and explained that if this was going to carry on, we would have to find alternative accommodation, and to be honest, the reception staff really could not have cared less!
Last night we went off to bed about 11pm, only to be woken up by a bride and groom thanking their guests right outside our room at 1.30am! I know that is not direcly the fault of the hotel, but we had expected that for £242 for two nights we would get at least one good night's sleep, but no!
The breakfasts we had were very nice and there were quite a few staff, but if you want another pot of tea, be prepared to wait, we had to ask 3 different members of serving staff before we managed to get a top up, and the request for fried eggs, took over 10 minutes. For £15 per person per breakfast, I would really have expected more.
When we left this morning the receptionist asked if we had enjoyed our stay, and I explained that we had not, and explained why and quite frankly he really didn't care. We had to stay around the hotel after check out and a manager had plenty of time to come and chat, and as I had guessed there was no interest there either.

My advise to anyone thinkiing of staying here, DON'T, unless you don't need sleep or you like wasting your money!

Room Tip: Certainly don't have a room near any stairs, probably at the back of the hotel as the front has...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,355)

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I celebrated my recent birthday, at The Felbridge Hotel and Spa, along with forty six friends and family and it was excellent. We had dinner in the Willow Suite and all stayed at the hotel overnight. We had Superior Rooms and some Luxury suites very comfortable, with some even having a balcony overlooking the gardens. Everything went so well, the staff were willing and polite, nothing was too much for them. Before the weekend everything was handled by Kat, of the Events team and on the evening Jonas was in charge and it just went so smoothly. The food was extremely good, we had one small hiccup at the beginning of the evening when the staff thought we wanted bucks fizz instead of prosecco but this was very quickly rectified and did not spoil our evening in any way.
On the Sunday people were in the pool, playing tennis and having treatments, most enjoyable.
On the Sunday evening 11 of us stayed and had dinner in The Bay Tree, where yet again the food was fantastic, especially the scallops
On both mornings we all enjoyed an excellent breakfast, which could either be buffet or ordered from the kitchen.
When we were ready to leave all my presents were brought from the room to my car.
I can honestly say everyone who attended remarked on how good everything was.
I would certainly consider holding another event here and as they are only 20 minutes from where we live will be going back for lunch or dinner.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank alfandmadeliene
VShrivastava, Manager at Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire Felbridge team I would like to thank you for posting your recent review and sharing the excellent experience you all had at the hotel.

I was very pleased to read that you had superb birthday event followed by very relaxing stay and its really good to read that all hotel staff was highly efficient to make your event so special.

It will be my pleasure to share your comments with all the team members

We will look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The staff in the hotel were all polite to a fault. Nothing was too much trouble. They took into account our dietary requirements for breakfast and afternoon tea and everything was done graciously and with a smile. The quality of the food was superb. The spa area was small but had everything we needed. Our only quibble was the size of the double bed in the upgraded superior rooms: more like a large single.

• Stayed: May 2014
VShrivastava, Manager at Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing this lovely review on the hotel following your recent stay.

I was very pleased to read that you were impressed with all the hotel facilities and that you found all the staff very polite and helpful.

Our chefs are delighted to read your comments about superb food and we will look forward to welcome you again in near future

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Felbridge for our anniversary at the start of March this year. It was just ok. I shamelessly mentioned that it was or anniversary at the reception desk. Not even as much as a congratulations from the desk staff. considering it was actually the Felbridge we got married in, I don't think a 'congratulations' would have been too much to ask for! (a cheeky bottle of wine in the room would have been even better! ) It was really special for us to return to the felbridge for our anniversary and they had done an amazing job of our wedding but it was just a bit of an anticlimax. especially since my gleaming tripadvisor review after the wedding and them replying about how they were looking forward to seeing us on or anniversary! I know it's presumptuous to expect something, but it just seemed really impersonal.
apart from that the bed was tiny! The spa was good. Nice and quiet and a very relaxing atmosphere. breakfast and dinner delicious as usual.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear DawnJL

Thank you for taking your valuable time in placing your second review on the hotel. We take pride in our guest service and I apologise on this occasion that the front staff did not make extra efforts to make your anniversary very special. Your comments has been discussed with reception staff to be more diligent in future more if its a special occasion stay .

We highly appreciate that you got married in the hotel and you were impressed with the hotel in the past and I would like to assure you that you will be receiving high standards of service always in future.

On a more positive note I am pleased to read your positive comments about our spa, breakfast and dinner was good.

We hope you will be staying with us again in future.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I bought this on a Groupon deal and paid £15.00 for an upgrade. The check-in was very efficient and professional. Our room was a superior double but only a double bed. It would have nice to see a king size. However; the room was clean and the comfortable. After we checked in, we went to the spa, I must admit, I didn't feel comfortable walking around in my robe. There was a conference on and you need to walk through the busy reception to get to the spa. The spa is fine, its clean and with comfortable seating. The jacuzzi is very nice :). After we had a spa we ordered room service - cocktails which were lovely!! We didn't stay in for dinner but went to the pub next door. The menu did look very nice. Breakfast was as you expect, but the sausages were very nice and good quality. The service was again efficient. I booked myself in for a half spa day which at £65 is really good value. We got to keep the room until midday but you can pay £10 per hour to keep it for longer if you wish. I choose a massage, it was lovely :). The man in the spa, is a bit of a 'geezer' but really charming. After we had spent another few hours mooching around the spa, swimming, steaming, sauna-ing and jacuzziing we went for afternoon tea, which was included in the half spa day deal. It was lovely, the scones were the right size and lovely and warm. I didn't manage to eat some of my cakes, too much breakfast. I took a doggy bag home with me. I had a lovely evening and two days and will be returning, with the hubby or has a girly night away.

Room Tip: Although we didn't stay in one but the rooms overlooking the garden would be nice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank slummymummyto3
VShrivastava, Manager at Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments and I was pleased and appreciative to read that you enjoyed the service and facilities of the hotel so much.

We are a Spa hotel and it is perfectly fine to walk around in your robes however there are locker facilities available in the Spa cloakrooms for the guests who wish to get ready there.

Superior rooms are the mid size rooms so we have standard double beds in them and we offer king size beds in our junior suites and luxury suite rooms which can be bought by adding a supplement charge

We look forward to welcoming you back in the hotel in near future.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed here for one night while attending a wedding, which was a few minutes away from the hotel. I booked the Superior Double and was extremely pleased when I had walked in - It looked 4* worthy and the bed was just calling me. I should say at this point that finding my room was quite a challenge, had to go walk through plenty of corridors and up a couple of stairs from the reception/lobby!
All the standard amenities were provided and the bed was as good as it looked... If I was being picky however, for a spa hotel it could have been even fluffier. There was not much of a view from my room, which in this instance I wasn't too fussed about.
The hotel itself has quite a modern, luxury feel to it but this theme isn't really reflected in its exterior.
Didn't get to experience much of the service from the staff, only really with the receptionists, who all seemed quite robotic and didn't really engage in casual chats. Staff walking around the hotel were all smiley though.
So the major gripes resulting in my 2* rating? 1) Guests were pounding on the doors and walking along the corridor for up to an hour during the early hours of the morning. None of the staff seem to have picked up on this. 2) The heating system in my room decided to turn itself back on TWICE during the night, resulting in me waking up in a pool of sweat during the middle of the night! Nice.
So much for the peaceful sleep I had been looking for in a spa hotel... Especially for the price paid.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for something closer to the reception/lobby.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed here before going to gatwick airport and would recommend it.

Hotel rooms are very plush and the hotel is situated very well for the airport. We left our car here and keys with reception and was chauffaur driven to the airport.

Room Tip: drinks/food expensive
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a good review on the hotel and we are glad that you have enjoyed your stay here. Our park and fly offers are indeed very good and thank you for your kind comments.

Hope you had a good holidays and we will be looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Grinstead
#3 of 4 in East Grinstead
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick

Been to Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!