“Would NOT recommend !”

Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Recently stayed at the Felbridge hotel and spa with my boyfriend after spending a couple of nights at Thorpe Park we decided to pass through East Grinstead to see some family. Because of the last minute decision, we didn't have chance to pre-book but drove around a few hotels in the area and thought that this seemed the nicest. Slightly pricey but after a tiring few days we wanted somewhere comfortable to rest. Walked in to the hotel to ask if there was any availability for the night and the price (£81 room only - breakfast was an extra £14.95 each on top which after the stay we opted out of) and were given the information by a very unfriendly and uptight young lady at the front desk. We paid in cash and a swipe of my card was taken as normal procedure in hotels. She roughly described to us where the room was without any smile or friendly hospitable banter AT ALL. The halls of the hotel smelt musty and maybe a little damp but our worst disappointment was the room. IT WAS A BOX. Hot, sweaty and not the cleanest of rooms I have stayed in. Literally could not believe we paid £81 for this room. The bed was tiny, uncomfortable and the pillows were horrid. We found hairs in the bed, the shower head had mold on and after pulling out the hair dryer which was COVERED in dirt, my partner wanted to leave. I finally persuaded him to just ride the one night out and we would leave early in the morning. We were going out with family for dinner anyway so we not spending too much time in the room. Our sleep was terrible and we continued to find things that we would have never expected in a hotel/spa that seemed so high class. There is no free wifi (literally unacceptable in this day and age Especially when paying expensive rates), the bath had scum around the bottom and in the plug hole and the teeny tiny TV mostly has channels with movies that again are an extra expense. Both of us work within the hospitality industry and so are not usually whiny complainers but this stay was definitely not worth the money and unless the rest of the hotel is absolutely fabulous and we were just allocated a dodgy room, then I would not return nor recommend anyone else to. We have stayed in MUCH nicer hotels for either the same price or less and had a higher level of service as well as a nicer and cleaner room. Had the second impolite member of staff we came across on check out asked us about our stay then we would have informed her of the problems on the spot, but I guess this hotel doesn't offer that kind of personalised service! Unable to comment on breakfast (despite being overpriced) or the spa as we didn't utilise any of the facilities. From outside the hotel looks lovely, and despite the size the room did too. Turns out first impressions are not everything! Steer clear!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jmacca91
VShrivastava, Manager at Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I am disappointed that you were not impressed with your recent stay and I apologise for any dissatisfaction you experienced on this occasion.

We take great pride and make our best efforts to maintain the highest possible standards of cleanliness in the hotel but I do apologise that your room cleanliness was not up to standard.

I am not sure where you found the damp and musty smell in the hotel corridors as following your review I did a thorough walk round and found no such damp or musty smell and neither has this ever been mentioned before by other guests

We do have all the national channels plus extra free view channels similar to other hotels with the addition of pay to view block buster movies. As a note too we do offer free wifi throughout the hotel to residents and non-residents alike.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,365)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I searched the internet for a hotel in this area to stay whilst visiting family and liked the reviews. I stayed on two consecutive weekend and was very happy with everything. Ist stay I had a Superior Room - excellent size, all the usual tea/coffe/safe/iron board, lovely big bathroom with toiletries - and best of all a walk in shower - water pressure was very good. Nice layout and comfy chair to sit and read/tv. The Second weekend I stayed I chose a Standard room - which was still very nice - but on the small side if you are a couple, worth the upgrade to a Superior room, the space around the bed was very limited - nice balcony looking over lovely grounds- would have been nice to have a chair to sit outside as the weather was lovely Bathroom with shower over bath - but had all the amenities of the Superior Room. The breakfast was excellent great choices. I did not eat in the Restaurants - but had drinks in the bar. Staff were very polite and friendly, all requests for assistance with luggage etc were dealt with promptly and efficiently. I shall be returning to the area again later in the year and will stay again, cannot rate this Hotel high enough. Next time hope to have more time to enjoy the Spa.

Room Tip: Worth the Upgrade to Superior Room if you are a Couple
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MoMo512
VShrivastava, Manager at Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear MoMo512,

On behalf of the entire Felbridge team I would like to thank you for posting this top class review and writing such a good comments about the hotel and facilities

I am very pleased to read that you had such a wonderful time here at the hotel on 2 consecutive weekends.

It will be my pleasure to share your comments with all the team members

We will look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We're still here and were so impressed we thought it deserved a review. Lovely grounds, nice spa area and a pleasant room with a GREAT shower.

We've stayed in much more expensive places but this place is working for us - very chilled right now :-)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a nice review on the hotel and I was pleased to read that you found the hotel as a great place to stay and relax.

We hope to welcoming you back again at the Felbridge hotel & spa

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed with my new wife the night before our honeymoon, using the "park and fly" room deal. The room was nice, comfortable and clean and while we could hear some general footsteps from the hotel around us it wasn't enough to stop us from sleeping. We ate a super 3-course meal at the Bay Tree Restaurant and the food was excellent, although it's one of those that does quality not quantity. Nice bottle of wine, good and friendly service and all round pleasant experience.
On the morning of our flight, our taxi arrived as planned at 7am and took us to Gatwick Airport with plenty of time (not too early, not too late). We'd left our car at the hotel and upon check-in the receptionist had taken our flight details for the return journey adding a transfer time note of 30 minutes after our arrival time of 4.45pm on 11th June, to give us time to clear immigration and collect our baggage. We assumed that that meant that someone would be waiting for us in arrivals to take us back to the hotel as we were told nothing to the contrary, and we had no concerns when we landed as we were right on time. However, when we got to arrivals at 5.15pm it was clear that nobody was there to collect us, so frustratingly after waiting hopefully for 15 minutes we had to call the Felbridge. When they finally answered, we were told we should have called the taxi company upon landing. At no stage at check-in or check-out at the Felbridge was any of this explained to us; no explanation of the process was given or no taxi numbers to call. The fact that they had taken our flight number and gave us a pick up time of 30 minutes after landing led us to believe that the process was all "automated", and that the taxi would be waiting for us.

We have never used a "park and fly" service before, so were unaware of the protocol. It is not that it would have been a problem to call, but we would have done so upon landing as it was peak hour and the taxi didn't arrive with us for a good half hour, therefore delaying our long journey back to Peterborough by almost 45 minutes.

All-in-all, a very disappointing conclusion to what, up to that point, had been an excellent holiday right from initially arriving at the Felbridge on 2nd June.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your descriptive positive comments. I was pleased and appreciative to read that you were impressed with the service and facilities of the hotel and had a very nice and relaxing preholiday stay at the hotel.

I offer my apologise for the inconvenience that you had to wait longer for the taxi at the airport on your return from the holidays. We did book your return taxi for the correct time but due to the fact that taxi drivers cannot wait at the airport any longer than 2 minutes we always advise the guest to call the taxi company and make them aware that you have landed. I am sorry that the reception team member did not make you aware of this and this has been discussed with the staff to avoid any future occurrence.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed as part of a parking deal for Gatwick as we had an early flight and didn't fancy a long drive at 3 am in the morning . Wish we had driven as there was little sleep gained in our room made of playing cards. The walls and floors have virtually no sound proofing and you could hear every noise from next door, upstairs and people going past the room.
It was one of the worst nights I can recall, absolutely awful.
The check in staff only managed a brief word and was only interested in taking a deposit to my c card. I said we would not need it but she insisted. At checkout the porter managed 2 words and no pleasantry.
Well I have a word for you ...terrible.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Tony P

Dear Guest,

I am extremely sorry and disappointed that you did not have a good night’s sleep because some of your fellow guests were less than considerate and made unnecessary noise whilst retiring to bed.

The walls and doors are similar and sound proofed as in many hotels but also not fully sound proofed to stop excessive noise.

I reiterate our apologies for the inconveniences caused and I hope this has not deterred you to book with us in future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I booked the Mothers Day special for my mum, mother in law and sister in-law. I phoned the Felbridge up to speak to someone in more detail with regards to the mothers day special.
I was told verbally that this offer included 4hrs use of the spa and all the facilities, 1x treatment, cream tea for to share between two.
Basically you was allowed to bring a guest with you to use the facilities but not get a treatment.

Well I bought four vouchers to allow all of us to have a treatment.

This also meant that we all had a cream tea each to share between two. 4 cream teas between two was not necessary for four ppl.
So I said we aren't bringing a guest each so could we exchange the two extra cream teas for a glass of proscecco each. Bearing in mind these cream teas would have cost around £20 each.

At no point did carla who was booking my mothers day special state that weekends weren't included.
So mothers day came and went and all three ladies were happy with their vouchers. And we discussed a day all 4 of us could go which inevitably would have been a weekend.. This was also stated on the phone to the Carla who was sending the vouchers through that basically it would need to be a weekend we book this as my mother in law was coming from Newcastle and the other two were also coming from quite a distance to endure what we would all agree it was the most stressful spa day ever!!!!
I phoned to book the day at the chakra spa. They then told me cream teas aren't available at the weekends and my voucher was invalid to use on the weekend. There was no terms and conditions issued with the voucher that I phoned and booked. Plus I had told carla that I want a weekend before passing my debit card details and paying for a fraudulant voucher.
They honored us to use the voucher for the weekend at last. Little did I know this was not the end of more problems.
Not trusting the Felbridge, I phoned to check my booking. Funny enough it was not on the system at all. So I had to go through the same argument about booking the weekend.
A few days later I phoned yet again and checked my booking, this time the cream tea was not booked!
We resolved this again.

5 days before arrival. I phoned to check again. Spoke to Sharon. My cream teas were still not on the system! What a joke.
I was on the brink of wanting my money back but was told its definitely all arranged now and it would be fine.

Sunday 8 June arrived and I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt hoping we would have a nice day. The proscecco I booked was "not on the system"
Here we go again.

Oh and we should be charged extra to use the facilities blah blah. Having told my family the crap I've had organising this they took over cos I had reached boiling point.
Again they honored us the voucher and everything I had organised. And so they should. The cream tea was definitely not value for money and was a complete con. There were 8 scones clotted cream and a pot of jam. Plus the added extra of a pube on the one of the scones.

To add insult to injury they also said that they don't have cream teas on the weekends yet there were 12 tables set up for it.

The service was at a snails pace. It took a total of 15mins to make 4 coffees.
The communication skills when we are there were ridiculous. My 3yr old would have made a better job.

I considered having my wedding and my 30th birthday here.......im so glad I didn't!!!

IF YOU WANT A NICE RELAXING SPA DAY WITH GREAT SERVICE DON'T BOOK IT HERE ITS NOT WORTH A DIME.!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
7  Thank karlsburg
VShrivastava, Manager at Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear guest,

I am glad to read the staff had the good grace on Sunday to not embarrass you in front of your family, and honour what you thought you had purchased. We admit that you had difficulty in making the booking and apologise for the miscommunication. But obviously you didn't understand the offer, which was very clear on the website at time of booking.

It was an excellent offer as it stood and I am afraid that your impression of the offer for the use of the facilities, a 25 minute treatment, a cream tea and a glass of champagne all in a 4* hotel for £28 per person is somewhat a bit unbelievable.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

My husband surprised me for our 1st wedding anniversary by taking me for a night here. We arrived around 2pm and with luck our room was ready early. Check in was good and the room was lovely large bed and the bath was huge. I was surprised to find out my partner had booked a nail treatment and a mother to be massage both of which were excellent very relaxing. We enjoyed afternoon tea in the bar which was well presented and thoroughly enjoyable. The prices for drinks were a little bit high but from my own knowledge of working in a hotel it is to be expected. We came down for dinner in the anise restaurant and there was a good choice of menu something for everyone. We enjoyed every aspect and the service was outstanding. In the morning we came down to the spa and enjoyed a swim in the pool. My husband relaxed in the jacuzzi and steam room and sauna and I enjoyed the swim. Breakfast was pleasant a lot to chose from and again service was nothing to complain about. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely return.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
VShrivastava, Manager at Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

What a fabulous review

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time and writing this fantastic review on the hotel. Your review confirms how satisfied you were with the hotel facilities and the service you have received all across the hotel and indeed gives us great positive energy to continue the good work.

It will be my pleasure to share your comments with hotel team.

We will look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Grinstead
Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club

Been to Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!