Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
  • Room Service
  • Pool
  • Pool
2,350 results
All reviewsreflections restaurantchampagne barhot tubgarden suiterelaxation roombeautiful hotelchanging roomsthe fine dining restauranton arrivalfull body massageag restaurantcedar lodgebirthday treatoutdoor saunaroll top bathrelaxing breakjunior suite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We enjoyed a fantastic weekend stay at Alexander House where staff and management were most attentive and welcoming. It was raining on arrival and the staff were quick to collect our bags, ensure my car was parked and taken care of for us before being shown around the hotel and facilities. We enjoyed a leisurely afternoon in the spa which really was as good as the photographs, before a wonderful dinner at AG's. With no particular rush to check out the following morning we took advantage of a spa treatment and a traditional afternoon tea in the lounge. This was an anniversary celebration made extra special by the care of the Alexander House staff and team. We will be returning for sure and recommending a stay to others

1  Thank darin w
Jurca T, Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Darin_W

First of all Happy Anniversary once again! Thank you for choosing Alexander House Hotel and for providing us with useful feedback on your recent stay with us I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay. We put a lot into offering our undivided attention to all of our guests. Hopefully you will get the chance to join us for in a new year too.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Looks impressive - great drive up to it, nice building, polite reception staff but on our weekend away one of the restaurants was closed which we weren't told about, the double charged us for breakfast and as everyone was supposed to be in the one restaurant, we were told we could only book for dinner at 2115 and came down into a restaurant that had been largely empty for a while. Not what you expect for the prices they charge.

Room Tip: Marleborough suite was nice but dark!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sj_shepherd

Dear SJ_Shepherd,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you could not dine in the restaurant of your choice or earlier time. Guests booking online are encouraged to make their bookings in advance to avoid disappointment this also highlights any possible closures of our facilities.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with this very helpful review

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Booked AH for my partner's Xmas present & paid £400 for 1 night with a luxury 'Royal We' package. Upgraded to a suite on the day for an additional £60 so the stay was certainly not cheap. The suite was beautiful & we had a treatment each that was very good but the rest of the service at the hotel was absolutely appalling.
Our dinner in the Reflections restaurant was expensive & although the food was nice we were sat up against a dirty wall, given a dirty menu, were not offered complimentary bread as the waiter only stayed over the other side of the restaurant, were not asked what drinks we'd like & there were spillages & breakages made by staff around us. Our side order was also forgotten when the restaurant wasn't even busy.
The service in the spa was one of the main problems we encountered. We were shown around & advised to call on the spa phone to ask for drinks. We stayed in the spa for a few hours & tried several times with no answer. We could not get a drink the whole time. Certainly did not feel pampered.
Room service was also not up to scratch. We couldn't get an answer on the phone until we'd made many attempts. We finally ordered 1 round of drinks with a club sandwich & fries. The drinks came first, the sandwich came second but no fries. We then received a second round of drinks with the fries, an apology & were told it'd be on the house due to their errors. It was not on the house, we received the bill at the end of our stay along with nearly £30 in miscellaneous charges which we had to query before the hotel staff admitted there had been a further error on the bill.
I received a customer questionnaire through afterwards & filled this out honestly with all of the above & saying how let down my partner & I felt with the whole stay & experience. I received a reply back from Tamas Jurca, the Front of House Manager at AH basically saying they'll take my comments on board to improve. No apology was given, no attempt to resolve my complaint.
In summary, the hotel seemed very under staffed & my partner & I feel extremely disappointed. We never complain & this is our first trip advisor review as we feel so strongly let down. For the money I spent (£580 total) on the one night it just wasn't good enough. This hotel provided very poor customer experience for a 5 star venue. We most certainly did not feel pampered or have the luxurious break it boasts of providing.

2  Thank Simon H

Dear SimonH,

Than you for your review.
Naturally we are aware of your feelings as we are currently in discussions. As I have expressed to you this is not indicate the service we genuinely provide.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Our visit to Alexander house started very well. Upon our arrival the staff were very helpful and attentive, showing us the area and helping us settling in well. I had mentioned that it was husbands birthday whilst booking, so they emailed me in advance asking me if i required anything special to be added or an upgrade. The email correspondence was always on time and very suggestive.

i was quite dissapointed in the quality of the room and bathroom given to us. The windsor room was very cornered and the bathroom wall was chipped. We managed to let this go and enjoy our stay as it was my husbands birthday retreat, The spa facilities were good and we managed to even try the outside hot tub in the Dece cold weather. We were very happy with the spa and impressed at the service and quality at this stage.

Our impression changed the next day in the morning at breakfast. Upon arrival we were served very quickly however as more people came, service became poor. We requested a toast top -up 3 times with 3 different waiters and were told it was on its way. 25/ 30 min later we were still waiting for toast top up to have. Frustrated we left breakfast. i do understand that with a lot of people at the breakfast room it can be difficult to manage, however i was dissapointed.

Room Tip: Ask for another room if Windsor room given to you. There was a lot of noise coming from the'' PRIVATE room next door very early in the morning.
1  Thank Tina D

Dear Tina D,

Thank you for your detailed and constructive review.
I was pleased to read how well your where welcomed to the hotel.
I am sorry you did not enjoyed our Windsor room,this room is on traditional side of the hotel and frequently requested and I am sorry that this was not your taste. I am further sorry for your breakfast experience.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We booked a spa day with an overnight stay. The hotel is very nice set in its own grounds and very we'll maintained. The spa was good as was the massage. The only downside was the relaxation room which wasn't very relaxing. Some people used it as a corridor. Some people used it for their afternoon tea with all the clinking of china that goes with it. Lots of chatting and mobile phone use. The food in the reflections restaurant was ok. Nothing to make you go 'wow'. Anyone using the restaurant needs to be aware that it is used by the spa visitors so is full of people in dressing gowns and flip flops! Rooms were adequate but not soundproofed very well. A bit overpriced for what they actually deliver.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank blueboy0461

Dear blueboy0461,

Thank you for your comments.
I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay at Alexander House Hotel.
We put a lot into offering our undivided attention to all of our guests.
I was sorry to learn of the disturbance you experienced by other guest in our Relaxation Lounge.