“A lovely hotel - but not lovely value, nor really 5*.”

Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in East Grinstead
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a spa weekend - a present from me to my sister, who was with me. I was hoping for (and thought, at the prices they were charging I should get!) a stress-free weekend.

Right from the booking onwards there were problems. The website clearly stated that rooms could be twin or double. I made my booking (£490), requesting twin, and was charged a £200 deposit in accordance with their terms. Next day, I got an email stating that there were no twin rooms available in the category I had requested; I could either have a double room or pay an extra £40 to upgrade (described as half price - though the next category of rooms online were only £60 more). I tried several times to talk to the person who had sent the email, but was unsuccessful, and she left a couple of messages for me, trying to get me to pay the extra £40. By the time she left the final message, the next category of rooms had been reduced online to just £20 more than mine, so I would in fact have been paying more than someone booking then!

On arrival, however, the staff were excellent, and I found that we had in fact been upgraded to the twin room free of charge. I really enjoyed the spa, the room was nice (though impossible to have a shower without flooding the bathroom, and the bath plug didn't work). Dinner, however, was another hiccup. We had £30 each included in our 'deal' price. We each ordered the 'mozzarella and tomato gateaux' (£10). This was just a plate of mozzarella and tomato slices. We then had our mains. I ordered some green beans as a side. However, these only arrived after I had prompted twice - and finished my main course. The total cost was £58.50, under the £60 we had between us, yet the restaurant added 12.5% 'service charge' on. Given they failed to actually deliver what we ordered at an appropriate time, I would certainly not have paid this had I realised. We'd had some cocktails before dinner, and so both drank water with the meal, for which we were charged £8.

After dinner, we thought we might watch a DVD in our room, as the publicity said some were available from reception. However, when we asked, we were told 'Yes, I'm not sure why it says that, we don't have any DVDs.'

I had expected to pay a significant amount of money for the weekend. I travel a lot, and have stayed in a number of similar hotels around the globe. I expected to pay that money for a standard of service. Sadly, despite the price, and the genuine politeness of the staff, the service was lacking. I noticed that this is the first year they have had the 5* rating, and I felt that they were just not comfortable with it. Although it was a nice weekend, it left me with the feeling of it being money-grabbing and uncomfortable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Jurca T, Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear hel_o94,

Thank you for your message. We very much appreciate your comments on your experience at Alexander House Hotel and Utopia Spa. We are keen to receive your feedback so that in the future we can delight our guests even more.

I am sorry to hear that after your visit to Alexander House Hotel and Utopia Spa you did not feel quite as delighted as you should have been. I would be pleased to discuss the above mentioned topic with you at your earliest convenience. I sincerely hope we can provide you with a sufficient explanation. Please kindly contact me directly by e-mail at the address tjurca@alexanderhotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon and welcoming you again.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We absolutely loved our stay in Alexander House for a romantic anniversary spa weekend. The service we received was truly amazing, with the bar staff knowing each customer's name based on what room they're staying in.

The spa facilities were stunning and staff were very professional there too. A beautiful building, with great surroundings.

The dinner we had in the hotel restaurant was delicious and the service, again, perfect; being escorted to our table from the champagne bar!

Room Tip: The Blenheim Suite is quite small and at the very top of the hotel, but had a gorgeous roll top bath...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Longhurst1990

Thank you for so much praise!
We Strive for our service to be " Razor sharp !” " and we are all pleased to hear that you felt so.
I was also pleased to read how much you enjoyed our Spa itself and the great care from all the Alexander House Hotel Team
My team and I look forward to welcome you back.

best wishes

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Been here a few times, either just for drinks, or a meal.

Bar is very relaxing and never seems too busy. Staff all very friendly and efficient. Bar menu is short but has a good choice of food.

Restaurant food is also very good, with attentive and friendly service.

Would go more often if the drinks weren't so so expensive!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dedar lamacalmer,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us.
I am so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay. We do check our pricing against our competitors. I believe we are equal or better value for the product on offer . We strive to develop as a destination hotel with our service and with our product and I am grateful for your comments.
We very much look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Amazing Spa, and jacuzzi outside! Being a 4* rather than 5* its missed off most lists but its amazing value for money and the suites are awesome.. and they have love bird in the lobby, and even a helipad.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JonnyDodge

Dear JonnyDodge,

Thank you for your comments.
I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay at Alexander House Hotel.
We work hard to create and deliver exceptional experiences for our guests.
I look forward to welcoming you back to our ‘Hidded Gem” in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We booked a 4 hour spa experience including a 55 minute treatment and afternoon tea. The hotel certainly is impressive upon arrival, how the other half live! Registration was quick and polite, we were a bit early as we'd travelled a long way and we wee allowed in earlier than we'd booked. However, our afternoon tea was scheduled for the last hour of our slot which was a bit of a swizz as I thought we'd have 4 hours in the spa.
The robes are much too small which is embarrassing if you are a tad larger.
The main pool area is very nice, with easy chairs rather than loungers. We dipped into the outside jacuzzi too despite a grey day. Lots of wasps there though. Steam room and sauna nice but nothing special. The highlight was the treatments, mine, a facial, was the best I've had, I would highly recommend Trisha who has magic hands, just brilliant :) there is a relaxation room but it's just a quiet room but with led lights blazing, I prefer the dark rooms with mood music you find in some spas. Afternoon tea was very nice, best tea ever, hot and lovely flavour, the sandwiches also a highlight especially the egg, and the crab & salmon - yum. It wasn't hugely grand though, and service a bit hit or miss. They are building a large block of spa suites in the grounds, I hope they are extending the spa as the existing offering is not enough to warrant an actual spa trip.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear rubyhettybetty2014

Thank you for sharing your review on your stay at Alexander House Hotel and Utopia Spa with the TripAdvisor community.
It was a real pleasure having you as our guests. Thank you for highlighting the professional approach of our Spa therapist Trisha. Your comments are a great encouragement to the entire Spa team. I am very pleased to read that you have had a fabulous Afternoon Tea here with us in our South Drawing room overlooking our lovely gardens. Now that the weather is improving we are looking forward to also be able to offer our Fresco dining for Lunch and Afternoon Tea on the terrace.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Best wishes

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We were a party of four staying on a groupon offer. We took advantage of upgrading our room to a luxury double, and had a great view looking out onto the outside hot tub. We also paid extra to stay on a sunday night.

We dined in the bistro at lunchtime, eating an array of sandwiches and their signature burger, and wow what a burger it was, it took two of us to finish it off.

We all indulged ourselves to a treatment in the spa, three had massages and I had the 85min facial, and fell asleep ZZzzzzzz.

I've stayed at so many spas over the years and have to say all our party said they will be returning. It truly is 5*, the staff are very helpful and if you require anything extra that is no problem.

The rooms are lovely, beds very comfortable, outside hot tub does get a little busy, but think it was because we went on a very sunny two days in April.

We have stayed at their sister hotel Rowhill as well, and have to say its worth the extra money and distance to stay here. Just silly things like free bathrobes, slippers, good hair dryers and straighteners in the changing rooms, and nice fluffy towels to use really makes a difference and frees up space in overnight bags.

Sarah

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sarahs270574,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience in Alexander House Hotel and Utopia Spa.
It was a pleasure having you as our guests. Thank you for highlighting the outstanding service in our hotel and spa.
Your words mean the world to us and you can count on our entire hotel team to make you feel at home again on your next visit.
I look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back.

best wishes

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend, we booked a dinner bed and breakfast rate.

The room was relativity small and I think I would upgrade next time, however it did the job perfectly well. Very comfortable bed and big flat screen etc.

The spa is to die for there is about 3 to 4 different pools with relaxing beds all around, there is also a outdoor hot tub which was very nice.

We ate in the fine dine restaurant which I can't give another praise to. The attention to detail with everything was great. We had a couple of drinks before in the bar and sat down for a food extravaganza. There was assortments of amuse bouches between courses. My wife and I both had scallops to start and then shared a chateaux brion which was exceptional.

The breakfast also didn't disappoint.

Overall a great hotel to relax in.

Can't wait to go back.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Jurca T, Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear ChrisA.

We are grateful for your kind words in relation to facilities and our outlets and the service offered by our staff. We are very proud of our employees who work hard to ensure our guests receive a memorable experience, and your compliments are evidence of our belief.
In our business nothing is more rewarding and motivating than to know that our guests recognize the commitment and passion with which our employees perform their work. Please be assured that I am going to share your words of appreciation with all of them. We are very proud that the service you received from us prompted you to write such commending review on world travellers’ public website.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely

#2 of 4 in East Grinstead
Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa? Share your experiences!