“Incredible views and luxe comfort in this "pacific" oceanside retreat...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shelter Cove
Spyglass Inn at Shelter Cove
Ranked #1 of 3 Shelter Cove B&B and Inns
Windsor, California
“Incredible views and luxe comfort in this "pacific" oceanside retreat...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

What a terrific find! This serene cliffside inn on California's Lost Coast was well-worth the travel time it took to get there. My husband and I spent the week after Christmas at the Shelter Cove Inn and loved every minute of it. It was just what we were looking for - a peaceful winter retreat away from the hectic holiday madness.

Our one-bedroom suite was well-insulated and cozy warm; the corner fireplace was a perfect contrast to windswept beaches seen from big picture windows and the sliding glass doors that opened onto a wooden deck. Across from the fireplace, the corner-situated hot tub provided 180° views of the black sand beach and tidepools below.

Our goal was to read books, watch movies, hike on the beaches and cook. A discriminating traveler and culinarian, I was very pleased with the well-equipped galley-style kitchen with gas range. We brought ingredients and prepared homemade ravioli, Cajun gumbo and even hosted a New Year's Eve dinner while we were at the inn. (And, when I realized that I had forgotten to bring along some specialty culinary tools, Margaret graciously provided them from her own kitchen!)

Margaret and her husband, Richard, were the perfect hosts - offering hiking advice and directions to the beaches and to the spectacular "Avenue of the Giants" and redwood forests just inland from the cove. Both bed and bedding were extremely comfortable and soothing and the bathroom was ultramodern.

Listening to the rhythmic sound of waves crashing on the beach was a tonic to our souls. Many thanks to the Montantes for a lovely, restorative week.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2011

This place is one of a kind. I was selfishly hesitant to write a review because I didn't want to share this place with anyone. . . at only 4 "rooms" I wanted to keep it my own little secret. But Richard and Margaret are such wonderful people and gracious hosts that I felt compelled to share my experience.

The "rooms" are basically LARGE one bedroom apartments with a pullout sofa so can accomodate 2 or 4 people. They're beautifully appointed with no detail left to spare. You can really tell that Richard put his heart and soui into every detail of this place when he built it. And taking a jacuzzi in our own private tub looking out over the pacific after a long day of hiking and surfing was dreamlike.

Margaret and Richard were the perfect balance of making sure every need was met without being overbearing like many bed and breakfast hosts. We intended to stay for 1 night and ended up staying 3 - we just couldn;t pull ourselves away from the beauty, tranquility and peace of the Inn and Shelter Cove.

Definitely put this on your list of "must visit places", you won;t be disappointed.

Northern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2011

This is my first hotel review ever. I normally don't take the time to share my travel experience with the masses but i feel compelled to express how impressed I am with this boutique hotel. The pictures do not do the place justice and Richard the inn keeper, and his wife are wonderful. Our one bedroom suite was well appointed, immaculately clean and had sweeping views of the Pacific....The Inn is situated on a cliff overlooking a black rock beach that is absolutely worth the 5 minute stroll! This property is, without a doubt the nicest accommodations within the entire town and Shelter Cove is truly a unique and special destination along the beautiful Lost Coast. We look forward to a return visit.

Chico, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2010

I was really looking forward to the Jacuzzi tub, so I was very disappointed when I discovered that the tub was barley large enough to stretch out in, and it was only large enough for one person. We visited during the week and we were the only occupants during our stay, so we were not sure why we were given a room downstairs, instead of a room with the easier access and a better view. It was also very interesting that every time we walked out the front door of our room, the owner was instantly out of his office, nervously greeting us, so we felt like we were being watched on a camera, was it more that a feeling?

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank fancypants9lives
Pittsburg, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2010

Richard and Margaret (innkeepers) are wonderful hosts! I've never had a more memorable experience. Their inn is breathtaking along with the million dollar views you get from your room. There are no surprises, what you see on the website is what you get. There are no words that can describe the serenity and beauty of Shelter Cove. The hospitality and room just topped off our stay! We stayed 2 nights and brought food to cook. The inn is just a short walk from the black sand beaches. The stay was just amazing and we'd do it again in a heart beat!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Oakhurst, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2010

We went to Shelter Cove for my 50th birthday. The inn is amazing. Our room was oceanfront with great views. Margaret and Richard were fantastic hosts. They even provided a bbq so my husband could make my birthday dinner!

Wi-fi in the room was an extra bouns. We loved the full kitchen for cooking. Great beaches and hiking close by.

Stay here! You will not find better rooms or more accomodating hosts.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Nevada City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

100 feet above the crashing waves sitting in a jaccuzi tub in the living room of our suite was heaven for me. Just opened in July, the rooms are spotless with every comfort looked after. The cozy bathrobes, the luxurious mattress, the graciousness of the hosts, Richard and Margaret, and a view that can not be surpassed. We loved the hiking, the beach combing, the new mountain bike trail, Paradise Royale, and the quiet atmosphere of the area. A wonderful place to stay, I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Redway
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
#1 of 1 in Garberville

Been to Spyglass Inn at Shelter Cove? Share your experiences!