I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Shizuka. The set up was just like a simple Japanese ryokan with the pebble stone garden, mini bridge and two very petite and attentive Japanese staff. My room had a mini garden such as one I experienced in Japan but of a smaller scale. There was a private Jacuzzi for two that brought back memories of soaking in the onsens of Japan. They also had two yukata robes and plush slippers for guests to wear around the ryokan!
Upon check in, I went for a full body oil massage (120$) for an hour. The masseuse was professional and worked hard to loosen any of my knots and aches.
Dinner was served at 6 30 pm.
My partner and I opted to have our Japanese kaiseki dinner in the room and it was absolutely delicious! I was a bit sad that there wasn’t any fresh sashimi in sight but it was still enjoyable. My only gripe was that some of the dishes were heavily salted-teriyaki glaze, miso soup, agedashi tofu broth and the salmon teriyaki for breakfast was a little dry (overcooked) and didn’t come with crispy skin
Dessert was served outside while the ladies prepared the futons for down time. The ryokan presented me with some nice chocolates for my birthday! Such a lovely treat I loved that the room came with some relaxing music CDs and there were some good reads provided by the ryokan for guests to enjoy.
Breakfast was served in the common area. The lovely weather and garden made the whole experience even more enjoyable and relaxing.
We were sad to leave such a pleasant and relaxing place and will definitely return again! I’m missing those crispy rice cracker prawn tempuras already! Everyone at the ryokan was professional but I guess I was expecting a chattier bunch sometimes! A wonderful place to relax and I didn’t even notice there wasn’t a laptop/TV in sight!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Slip off your shoes and enter the tranquil world of the Japanese ryokan. Hospitality of honour. Zen design. Tatami flooring. Sliding shoji paper screens. A deep soaking bath overlooking your private courtyard garden. "Omakase" dining. Delicious breakfast. Spa and holistic wellness treatments. Australia's renowned Japanese guesthouse, the award-winning Shizuka Ryokan is a tranquil environment in which to relax and reenergise. The accommodation is traditional ... fully authentic in every detail including its architecture, furnishings, gardens, warm hospitality and personalised service. It's a small piece of Japan just 80 minutes drive from Melbourne. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Shizuka Ryokan Japanese Country Spa Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shizuka Ryokan Japanese Country Spa Retreat Hotel Hepburn Springs
- Shizuka Ryokan Japanese Country Spa Retreat Hepburn Springs, Australia - Victoria