“The perfect quiet hideaway to experience the Tablelands!”

Barking Owl Retreat
Townsville, Australia
“The perfect quiet hideaway to experience the Tablelands!”
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Me and my partner spent the long weekend at Barking Owl retreat and explored the tablelands. The Dingo's lair cottage was cozy and beautifully presented. Sitting on the back deck in the afternoon looking out over the valley and hills in the distance was really relaxing, it was as if you were the only people on the property. The breakfast hampers were lovely and huge! We took our own food and cooked on the bbq on the back deck. The spa was such a nice indulgence and very nice to relax in while watching the sun setting. It is centrally located to lots of little towns in the tablelands, and really close to Lake Tinaroo dam. And heaps of waterfalls and national parks.
The hosts were so friendly and welcoming it was really enjoyable organizing the booking and chatting. It was the best weekend we have had in such a long time! I would love to go and stay again!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
BarkingWeb, Owner at Barking Owl Retreat, responded to this review, 11 May 2010
Hi Bill and Thea,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am glad you both enjoyed your stay so much and we look forward to having you back. Hope those noisy neighbours of yours are not tooo loud!

Tanya

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Banchory Scotland
Reviewed 21 April 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed my week at The Barking Owl Retreat! My cousin came up from Brisbane to join me. Dingo's Lair is a delightful cottage, very well equipped with a lovely view over the surrounding countryside. From my first phonecall from Scotland to enquire about availability I was impressed by the friendliness and willingness of my hosts to make my stay an unforgettable one. It was indeed the perfect place to relax after a few weeks camping in WA. A complete and utter novice, I caught a sooty grunter within ten minutes of arriving at the dam!!
I wish Tanya and Chris continued success in this venture. I heartily recommend a visit. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed March 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
Reviewed 10 January 2010

After staying at Barking Owl retreat for 2 nights in July, and loving it, we couldn't wait to return for a week over our Christmas/New Year break. We especially enjoyed sitting on the back verandah after a BBQ dinner, watching the stars come out and listening to the frogs, and then being woken up next morning by the birds. The property is in a great spot, close to all the attractions of the beautiful Atherton Tablelands. The weather was also great - much cooler than the coast and less humid. There was no need for an air conditioner in our cottage as the breeze was lovely. The double spa was also very relaxing!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dan026
Cairns Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2009

I took my Mum to Barking Owl for two nights as a thank-you for all the help she gave me in organising my wedding.

It is in a peaceful spot, about 15 minutes from the picturesque Tablelands town on Yungaburra.

The two cabins are very private and well-appointed with lovely views of the green countryside. Mum and I took our own food, which was easy to prepare in the kitchen and on the weber bbq on the big deck. There were also lots of lovely wines and treats in the mini-bar. We had ordered an indulgence basket which contained wine, cheese and crackers. This was reasonably priced and well worth it.

Barking Owl is in a great location for Tablelands exploring. On day two, we drove to Granite Gorge and hand-fed the semi-wild rock wallabies. We lunched at Mt Uncle Distillery and returned for a relaxing afternoon on the deck.

Very peaceful night's sleep listening to the cicadas and curlews.

• Stayed December 2009
1 Thank Thelawnneedsmowing
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 1 December 2009

My fiance and I stayed at the Barking Owl as part of a two week Australia vacation. We spent most of our time in Cairns and Port Douglas. We quickly got a little tired of the expensive dinners and touristy atmosphere of Cairns. After that portion of our trip we stayed at the Barking Owl.

It was glorious. The setting in rolling hills on a working cattle farm was just what the doctor ordered to relieve us from our stay in Cairns. It was very quiet. It was remote enough to be soothing but close enough to still visit Yungaburra, Atherton, and other points close by. We visited the Cheese and Chocolate farm at Gallo, the delicious winery in Yungaburra, and other points close by.

Chris and Tanya were excellent hosts willing to help us with finding interesting sites, enjoying the farm location, or just to socialize with. Their extremely friendly pets made excellent walking companions.

The cottages themselves were meticulously maintained and appointed. Each cottage has a working spa tub and one of the most comfortable beds besides my own at home.

I can't recommend the Barking Owl enough as a great place to retreat to from the worries of a hectic life or vacation schedule.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Motleyfool777
Townsville
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Very comfortable B & B with all the extra touches made our stay relaxing and very enjoyable. Hosts Tanya and Chris was very warm, friendly and helpful in all aspects of our stay. It was very refreshing to find people enthusiastic about their B & B and wanting to make our stay exactly what we were wanting ie: info on local attractions etc. Wish them continued success. Trish and Lawrie - Townsville.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
ACT
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Barking Owl provides fantastic accommodation- high quality and very tasteful. The hospitality of Tanya, Chris and family is second to none. The property is beautiful and it's great fun fishing in the dam. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atherton
BIG4 Atherton Woodlands
Atherton Blue Gum B & B
Atherton Blue Gum B & B
#3 of 6 in Atherton
Rose Gums Wilderness Retreat

Been to Barking Owl Retreat? Share your experiences!