“Excellent three night stay with views of the ocean”

Port Denison Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Bowen
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We have just spent a very pleasant and relaxing three nights at this motel.

We had initially booked a self contained garden view room but as the motel was only lightly booked we were upgraded to an ocean view room for no additional cost. We had room number one which being right at the end of the block is very private and has side as well as front windows all of which offer views of the ocean.

The lounge rooms are rather small and the showers do not have a base, which come from the time when the complex was a retirement home and this does lead to a constantly wet bathroom floor. Mind you having no fixed shower cubicle does allow for a large shower area.

However, the small lounge rooms are compensated for by an adjoining long kitchen area and reasonably sized bedroom and bathroom, which combined worked rather well for our three night stay.

The kitchen comes equipped with a microwave, electric frypan, portable two burner hotplate, half sized refrigerator and all the kitchen implements that one needs for a short stay.

This motel bases its business model on the overnight corporate trade so there are quite a few workers staying there and they may be a bit noisy, but just ask for a quiet room away from the business trade. Also, very little family trade and no pool so no yelling children.

So, small lounge, invalid style showers, but a great location, clean and tidy rooms and friendly owners.

Tips for the area:

A Woolworths supermarket is only five minutes drive away on the corner of Richmond road and the soldiers street and just off the main street ( Herbert Street).

There is a local butcher called Ritchie's that makes very tasty local sausages and hamburger patties just before the Woolworths store but still on Herbert Street.

Bowens harbour is only a few minutes walk away from the motel along the ocean front and has a sort of fish co-op that advertises fresh seafood straight off the boats.

A must see sight is Horseshoe Bay, but not a place to stay as it is crowded with tourists, vehicles and tourist accommodation. For a brilliant view take the 4.5 kilometre trail from the end of the car park but only walk about 15 minutes to a viewing platform at the top of the hill.

Room Tip: Ask for room one
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Huge rooms, clean and peaceful right on the water near the best pub in town. This was a welcome surprise after planning to stay in Airlie Beach, we made teh right decision to keep driving an get a much better room in a better location for half the price. Without backpackers partying all night.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I got put onto this place from another rep who's been coming here just after it was taken over. What a fantastic view AND friendly and helpful owners. I got in late in the afternoon after work. (The sunsets are amazing in this part of the world!) the lady on the front counter was friendly and chatty which is nice when you're travelling solo as a sales rep. The room was clean and tidy and the bed was comfortable and the water pressure was great. What more can I say?....it's just what's needed at the end of a big day travelling... and it is good value. Also the room had a kitchenette which allowed me to cook my own meal. (I get sick of eating out every single night).
Its nice and quiet, which is a welcome relief from the backpacker mentality of Airlie Beach and the hiked prices to go with them. I'd like to stay longer next time...Rumour has it there's a reef that's just off the beach that's awesome to snorkel on....

Room Tip: Big tip... Book in advance because its busy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I've stayed at over 100 different places in the last year, but just last week I stayed at Port Denison Motor Inn. I basically drove as far as I could into the town and there it was, right on the beach next to the jetty which featured in the movie "Australia". I could walk to everything easily and catch a nice whitsunday sunset! (Which I did) Anyhow, apart from being a great location it was affordable. The place was very clean and the host/owner was awesome. She was friendly and welcoming and we had a great conversation when I checked in, and checked out. It was a simple but sophisticated place. I'm looking forward to going back soon, and this time I'll hopefully take my family with me and utilise the outdoor bbq seating area that looks out towards the beach. Bowen is definitely a more affordable holiday, and its not taken over by mainstream retail and party people compared to Airlee. I hear you can snorkle the reef from the beach too.Next time that will be a must do!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kylie C
Reviewed 16 March 2013

DO NOT STOP HERE. it's an old retirement home. Seriously. Ask the motel they will tell you. Shower rooms never been changed since then. Hand rails for the elderly in plentiful. It's full of construction workers who sit drinking outside the rooms. Only plus side is good bar a stones throw away. Spend a fraction more and stop somewhere else. The retirement home is what it should be turned back in to.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank RJ-JMR
BowenPort, Owner at Port Denison Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

It sounds as though our English guests have had nothing to do one night but remember their stay six months previous at Port Denison Motor Inn. We regret their memories are so dismal.

The premises are 12 years old and yes it was previously a retirement villiage. It has been trading as a motel for the last four years. Our clients are mainly workers and reps with a smattering of holiday makers.

In October last year, we purchased the lease of the motel and have embarked on a renovation programme which has already seen 46 new split system air conditioners installed, all bedding, curtains and bedspreads replaced and a repainting programme which will see all the units and exterior repainted in the next four months. The handrails have been removed from all but the disabled units and a programme is in place to renew all vanities and retile all bathrooms.

We refute your claim the unit was dirty. Our six cleaning staff go to great lengths to ensure every room is left clean for the next guest. Bowen's town water is not treated and is similiar to bore water. We have to use very harsh chemicals to remove calcium and mineral stains.

As for the workers who are occasionally sitting outside their rooms drinking, I don't think you would like to be told you couldn't sit outside your room and watch the sunset, especially if you had to get up at 4.30am every day and work in temperatures up to 40 degrees in the sun.

You didn't mention the beautiful grounds and gardens and the wonderful views of the Whitsunday Islands in your review. You also neglected to mention the most important things about accommodation. A great bed, plenty of hot water, facilities to cook or just make a cup of coffee, and separate lounge with a comfortable sofa, views to die for, and last but not least no road/traffic noise or noise from the adjoining units.

Reviewed 5 February 2013

We didn't really want to stay in Bowen, but being a bit pushed to cover a more distance on our holiday in North Queensland, we decided to make an overnight stop. We also hadn't booked accommodation, and I was using Trip Advisor to try to make an informed choice before turning up to a few places to see if they had vacancies. This motel wasn't on the radar until, having been turned down by a couple of other better establishments, it started to get a bit late and we got worried we wouldn't find anything.

Reception already being closed, I rang the office and the very friendly woman in charge offered me a discounted rate on a twin room, then came and opened up. Because I wanted a twin room, she "upgraded" me to an apartment with kitchenette overlooking the beach, which sounded great. The reality proved otherwise. OK, it had plenty of space, and was clean, tidy and in fairly good repair, but it had very little else to recommend it or make it comfortable: old fashioned venetian blinds which let the light in; an un-recessed shower which flooded the whole of the bathroom floor; a sitting area without air-conditioning; shortage of rubbish bins; no lamps whatsoever - only harsh overhead flluorescents throughout; bare, stark walls save one horrible artwork in the lounge..

I don't want to be too harsh, as it depends on what you're looking for I suppose, but for the same price you can get nicer! I think Trip Advisor is such a brilliant resource, and was disappointed and annoyed with myself that on this occasion I wasn't able to achieve better.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Lovely spacious, very clean rooms, helpful and friendly hosts in a beautiful location overlooking the beach. The meal at Grandview was very nice and the breakfast at Food Freaks was great.
We would definately stay at this Motor Inn again and will be recommending it to others.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple