“Avoid like the plague”
Review of Aussie Nomads

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bowen
Aussie Nomads
Ranked #13 of 16 Speciality Lodging in Bowen
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Absolutely shocking hostel to stay in. The owner Paul is a greedy man who abuses the fact that people need to do farmwork for the 2nd year visa. 240 dollars for a 6 bed dorm upstairs. Kitchen has little facilities to cater for the amount of people and is lock at 9 daily. Food got robbed constantly when people asked to look at the cameras Paul's response was ask your fellow backpackers. You were not allowed to bring your own drink into hostel (you would get kicked out and lose your 200 dollar bond -submitted on arrival with PASSPORT) a jug of goon at the bar, 1 litre was 10 dollars. Food was extortionately priced that in all my time there I never once saw a backpacker eat in the bar.
Pool was hardly ever clean. Staff barged into your room in the mornings to change bins, in particular one man that gave little or no warning coming into our girls room. Rachel the receptionist is rude, which you will notice before you get there by talking to her on the phone, and generally talks down to you. Also be wary of her telling you come up as you must be there when the jobs are offered. They lie in order to. Have you stay.
If you owe rent your name is written up on the board with the amount beside it. You will not get your bond or passport back if you owe them anything.
Basically only use this place as a last resort. There are plenty of other places in Bowen that are cheaper, closer to town and generally nicer. Many of the farmers are lovely too if you want to bypass the hostel route and go straight to the farms. A lot of hostels are kind of "contracted" with farms but I know for a fact since last year one of the main farms in Bowen is no longer dealing with Aussie nomads because of Paul and they are not taking backpackers from there.

Good luck to all the backpackers trying to get the farming done, make the most off it and have fun, we did when we left this hostel and were actually able to save a bit of money by paying 110 rent a week in a nicer place instead of 240 a week in this s**t hole.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
19  Thank Vera H

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed at Aussie Nomads for around 3 months. It cost around £220 a week for downstairs accommodation, with the premium accommodation costing slightly more, but with the added bonus of air conditioning. Now the place in fairness was reasonably tidy.However it was the attitude of the staff, in particular the owner Paul. Put simply he saw backpackers as sub humans, treat everybody like they were his personal slaves. Forced room changes with little to no notice. I would not trust him as far as I could throw him. To top thing off the dour Scots reception women was about as much fun as gangrene. All in all, over priced, wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I arrived at this hostel at about 9pm to visit a friend who is staying here doing farm work. I had a talk with the owner who informed me there were no beds left. I mentioned I had a wagon so he said I could stay in the car park and sleep in my car. I asked him how much it would be and he replied that I should just give him 10 dollars in the morning. After sleeping in my car I woke up at 8 to have a shower. I asked a lady working there where the showers where. She then grilled me about where I was sleeping, what room and why I was there if I wasn't doing farm work. The only reason I stayed here is to visit my friend. After a shower I went to reception to pay the 10 dollars that we agreed on. The lady spoke to the owner (who was busy on the phone) and then came back to speak to me. The lady said I have to pay 20 dollars for the night before and 35 dollars for that night if I wanted a room. I asked to speak to the owner who came out. The lady had been every rude to me so asked to speak to the owner without her butting in. He then, out of the blue, said I had 15 minutes to leave the premises and if he saw me again he would call the police. It was the worst customer service I have ever experienced. The Hostel was pretty dirty and the staff were pretty unfriendly to all the backpackers. I think they think that because the backpackers need the farm work they can treat them like rubbish. It's not cheap and the location is terrible. It's on a major highway way out of town. They charge for aircon and the internet is expensive!

Room Tip: None! They charge for aircon and the internet is expensive!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank Ilovetravelling2013
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Would never stay this place again as you arrive they take your passport you pay bond of 150 rent is very much 220 the share bathroom always dirty so are kitchens close at 9 can't get your own food after its shut the pool was never really clean some of the staff are really unfriendly and don't talk to people very good others drinking make it hard to get sleep when you have early work or work late when going out to club can't get in you have no passport only copy wont take it only good thing you have work

• Stayed: October 2012
5  Thank zolace
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Stayed here 2 years in a row. First year to get my 2nd visa (stayed 6 months) and this year for the money (another 6 months). Great place, great job and the best people. So many people here stay for a long time like me. Came alone but leaving with some good friends. The place is so busy it's hard to get into the kitchen sometimes. The bistro serves cheap backpacker meals and so does the caltex next door so didn't really do alot of cooking anyway.
Best place to be in Bowen for work. Everybody works. 140 people here during the busy time and my first year hardly saved any money. Partied too hard! Different this year but still managed to party. I stayed in the same room with nearly the same people for over six months and it is what you make it. Messy mainly. Lots of showers and toilets and with over 100 people coming back from farm work at the same time they get pretty messed up too. I stayed in an upstairs room with ensuite so not a problem. Only problem is I wont be back next year cos my visa runs out.

Room Tip: Upstairs always. Free aircon and ensuite.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Sc0tty03
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Easy place to find work. nice pool, ping-pong table and pool table etc. so you can entertain yourself. Bar and bistro sells you good food and drinks, so no need to cook always after long working days.
Rooms are pretty new and in good conditions. Like the whole place.
Staff was nice and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank iippa23
Reviewed 2 November 2012

avoid if u can!!! everybody here hate this place and complain of the bad value u get. they call it a resort! no ides why... kitchen is terrible, after day at work u aonna cook your dinner and it's just a nightmare... no cooking equipment, stoves barely work and wayy too littte. no one ever clear the fringe room which was stinks!
don't know where to start about the owner, he wouldn't listen to anything u say, impossible to talk to, veeeery rude. no idea how someone that hate backpackers so much can run this businesses.
wouldn't let u hold your passport, best they'll give u copy print... they take big bond (150$) so they can threaten u to loose it of anything wrong u do (eat in the bus, make too much troubles, keep the job but leave the hostel) like a little kids (I'll take 2 dollars from u if...). receptionist always busy and very helpless, (security bars alway close like prison).

Room Tip: rooms in the back in cooler. no one cleans the toilets in the room so better downstairs
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo