Bush Bunks
US$100
  • Beachfront
US$119
Hotels.com
The Pearly Shell Motel(Bowen)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$97
US$91
Agoda.com
Ocean View Motel(Bowen)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$74
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 December 2013

we went to bogie river house and it is a fantastic place, beautiful tidy accomodation, gorgeous grounds, very australian experience...loved it...fabulous hosts, Terry & John. they are very proud of the hard work they put into the property and are obviously endeavouring to raise standards beyond backpackers who don't abide by australian customs and rules....well done to bogie river staff....we will come back and bring our family and friends, life is beautiful out there terrific wildlife, great pool and nice bar with country hospitality....certainly a great experience, and we don't blame them for keeping the bad types out...especially if you don't pay your bill Mr. Backpacker and friend....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
John V, Guest Relations Manager at Bush Bunks, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thankyou for staying with us in our ealry stages, it was wonderful to meet new people and share expereinces and ideas. we hope to see you again one day

Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 7 nights, at first the owner Terri was nothing short of helpful. That soon changed once we were in the door and she had our passports as a "security deposit". I worked on a nearby farm and my travel partner worked in the Bogie River Bush Bunks to cover both our accommodation costs. Slowly Terri's attitude started to change and she began to become more and more unappreciative of the work my travel partner was doing (mostly cleaning and bar work) talking down to her, belittling her and making her feel very isolated. Working 16 hours a day at one point with no pay. We had decided to move on but weren't sure exactly when due to external factors we made Terri aware of this, however when I stopped working Terri's attitude to me changed dramatically and she snapped at me telling me that my travel partner was working and that I would have to wait until she was finished to speak with her and that I didn't belong here. 15 minutes later my partner comes to our caravan sobbing asking to leave immediately. I confronted Terri and told her we would be leaving straight away and that her attitude as a business owner to her customers was shocking. Speaking to us like kids in a very condescending manner. At which point she hit me with "you both owe me $165 as you haven't given me a weeks notice to leave" needless to say I refused to pay, after all the only reason we wished to leave prematurely was due to her terrible people skills. This then turned into a full scale argument between me Terri and her husband, he proceeded to call me a wan*er and nothing short of arrogant and she refused to return both passports saying that she would call the police. I left without my passport and without paying and immediately went into Bowen police station (it takes around 30 mins to get into bowen) to report what had happened. The police called and spoke to Terri who said she has posted our passports to the British High Commision in Canberra which was all lies as the post service is very infrequent due to the rural location and it would have taken Terri around 30 minutes to physically go to the post office in the closest town Collinsville therefore how could she have been there and back at this point? we have therefore been left with a bill to replace our passports which I will be forwarding on as I'm extremely doubtful they will turn up. In summary Terri is a manipulator, she lures you into the Bush house with the promise of work, takes your passport and then relies on the fact that it's difficult to leave, the location is remote, there is no mobile signal at all. She does provide free wifi however when she is in one of her uncontrollable mood swings she switches it off as punishment, leaving you completely cut off from the outside world. As someone who doesn't own a car in Australia we felt bery much trapped. Very unprofessional and damn rude. Accommodation was dark, dingy and filthy when we arrived. Ants infesting the whole caravan, we didn't expect five star but we also didn't expect to have our passports stolen. The facilities are clean however there are loads of ridiculous rules like not being able to swim when there are guests, bar closes early when she feels like it, limits on alcohol and signs for everything! I even got told off for putting a washing on too late (it was 20:00).

My advice would be to avoid at all costs and stay somewhere either in Bowen centre or Barnacles the other working hostel in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Kevin C
glendascharli, Manager at Bush Bunks, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

We have many backpackers who work from here and save their money for their travels and this years have been great BUT there are a small minority that don't come on the same agenda. Kevin C obtained work within one day but was sacked by his employer after one week, he left owing a fellow backpacker money, he signed an agreement to give a weeks notice, he choose not to pay a security bond. It is not our policy to hold passports, each persons circumstances are different. A person agrees and signs to this affect if they have no money for rent or bond. If a person changes their mind or lets down the employer, we strive for an amicable arrangement but in this case we had to report the incident to the law for advice and items were returned to their respective embassy with a letter explaining the circumstances. Our role as an intermediary between the employers and those seeking work is a free service we provide to assist the local community and travellers looking for work.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

We have just returned from an unusual experience - the Bogie River Bush House. It is a 'b 'n' b' full of character run by delightfully hospitable Glenda and Erni plus an equally delightful Terri who is taking over the reins shortly. Pretty rooms, comfy beds, immaculate shared bathroom in such interesting surroundings. The 'wild but tame' kangaroos and wallabies who wander in and out, excellent dining by the Pool, plenty of peace and quiet in the gardens or a walk along the dry riverbed - what more could anyone looking for a break in routine or some extra tranquillity want? Here it is, so we will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 440sheenab
John V, Guest Relations Manager at Bush Bunks, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Having guests that are looking for something just a little different and in turn take the time to share their travels and experiences is what a break away is all about, its always a pleasure to look after like minded people.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed at this place in June 2013 and were very disappointed with the standard of accommodation, the lack of amenities and the very unfriendly attitude of Glenda, the host. The room was the smallest I had ever stayed in, it was only possible to have one person moving around the room at a time and was expensive. Glenda was very annoying and interfering, constantly pestering us about additional options even though we made our needs very clear when we booked. I would never go back there and would not recommend it to anyone to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 3Dan
glendascharli, Owner at Bush Bunks, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Sadly one can only try to be accommodating and advise people before they stay, this guest was advised of room size, cost and that we were booked out for the weekend, On offering breakfast or evening meal which I do for all my guests because of the location I was rebuffed...... I couldn't do any more

Reviewed 24 June 2013

This last weekend, The Zonta Cl;ub of the Whitsundays had their annual changeover event at Bogie River Bush House. I had stayed there many times before as part of The Rotary Club of Airlie Beach but this is the first time I was able to introduce this wonderful resort to my friends in Zonta. 7 couples stayed over night and we were unanimous in our assessment.The food was sensational,the resort spotlessly clean, the service amazing,the fireplaces warming. Nothing is too much trouble for Ernie and Glenda and the young people they employ are just delightful. Our official changeover banquet lunch on Sunday for 28 people was also a huge success. It is hard to describe Bogie River Bush House. It is actually unique. I would certainly recommend it to overseas visitors for the unique bush atmosphere and abundant australian wildlife as well as a venue for any corporation or service club wanting to share quality time together in a relaxed and peaceful environment.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends