“Pleasantly Surprised”

Jungle Adventures Night Walk
Ranked #7 of 9 Tours in Cape Tribulation
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The early bird may get the worm, but in the rainforest, night owls have all the fun. Meet the Daintree’s fascinating nocturnal locals in the largest, nartural open-air exhibit you’ve ever seen. A Jurassic world where snakes and sleeping birds, bats and bandicoots, spiders, insects and dragons skulk in the shadows. Join the night shift with our two-hour guided walk, leaving at 7:30pm from Cape Tribulation. Bookings Essential.
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I decided to do this activity as there isn't much else to do in Cape Trib. The group was only me, 2 girls, and the guide.

I had a fantastic time, on a good 2 hour walk or so. Saw quite a lot of interesting things: spiders, lizards, hollow trees, glowing logs, fireflys.

You've got to remember it is in the wild, not a zoo, so you may not see anything? But the guide was very informative and knew some very interesting facts.

It is a really great way to see the Rainforest!

All reviews
"flashlight"
in 5 reviews
"rat"

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I went on this tour without expectations and was pleasantly surprised by an awesome experience. Our guide for the evening was Angie (a professional biologist from Germany who has lived in the Daintree for the last 5 years). From the outset Angie told us that it would be hit and miss if we saw animals, but I was hoping we would get lucky. Our group for the night was small - my wife and one other. And we did get lucky indeed, the first site we saw was a young dragon lizard, and then plenty of other small critters. But I think the real treasure of this walk is the forest itself. Let's be honest, when do you get the chance to go roaming in a rainforest at night? The sounds, smells, and eeriness of a jungle setting at night is the treasure. Angie's knowledge of the ecosystem was great, and she was able to answer pretty much all our questions. Switching off the torches to see fireflies and luminescent moss was special.

I am truly astounded by the negative comments for this attraction. I don't know what people are expecting, but the instant gratification of a BBC documentary in less than 60 minutes is not real wild life. If you get bored of trees, and can't make the effort to look at the micro world - which is the Daintree - then don't expect any tour to do you justice. Angie and her colleagues are very knowledgeable about the rainforest and they are all quite professional and passionate about what they do. My wife and I had a wonderful experience and were blown away by how different it is to walk through the rainforest at night.

1  Thank Christopher Y
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We went to this activity knowing that it was going to be difficult to see any big animal as in Cape Tribulation is quite hard to really find a Cassuary or a Tree Kangaroo. Anyway we finally saw a snake (the guide was extremely excited), a spider, ants and shining fungus. It could be OK because of the noises of the forest at night but what really bothered us was the behaviour of the guide. A young man with long hair that seemed to be the coolest guy in the world just because he lives in Cape Tribulation. He talked with superiority and doing "funny" jokes. And then, at the end, he played de didjeridoo what finally catapulted him to the throne of Gods...
If you are a guide, you should be more friendly and helping with your clients, man. And more humble...

1  Thank Mojiganga M
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The highlights of this walk were not so much the nocturnal creatures seen by torchlight but the senses that came alive once the torches were out, including seeing luminescent fungi on the bark of fallen logs. Our guide was Julie, the young American, who was enthusiastic and knowledgable about the rainforest. Much of what she pointed out could have been better seen in daylight (trees, some of the spiders), and this tour may work better if it started before dark to point out some of the rainforest sights, and then continue concentrating on sounds and smells with additional sightings a bonus.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I booked this night walk as a package with Jungle Surfing for my family. We were all very excited as we'd been told we were likely to have 'Ollie' who apparently has an excellent knowledge of the forest. Unfortunately I knew this experience wasn't going to live up to expectations when our guide turned out to be a very young American girl who told us she'd been doing jungle night walks for about 6 months. In fairness to our young guide she was very enthusiastic and really tried to find something for us to see but honestly it's pretty hard to get excited over huntsman spiders, ants and cockroaches. All of which I can see in my own backyard in Sydney. The walk also went for 2hrs and my husband and I were both really over it after an hour. We walked down a dry creek bed which was quite challenging so most of the time our torches were focused on the ground so we didn't trip over rather than up into the trees.
Perhaps we would have had a different experience if there had been more rain as it was very dry at the time.

Even though our experience was pretty ordinary I still think a night walk through the rainforest is a wonderful idea and worthwhile activity. I would just recommend you shop around or make sure that your guide is an expert with significant experience because that's really what your paying for. There are other businesses in the Daintree that I know offer night walks with truly local guides.

1  Thank Alison d