“Great place to stay”

Cape Tribulation Beach House
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is the second time I have stayed there. It has a lovely untouched charm in the most wonerful setting. I felt it had gone back slightly from my last visit. Also it is expensive for what you get. However it is clean and offer a wonderful experience of staying in a rainforest.....The beach is just amazing,,,watch out for the wild pigs in the morning and the sea turtles in the water at the beach...the boardwalks in this area are amazing and are a lovely walk......

Room Tip: The restaurant is basic and not cheap......take your inscect spray....early morning walks are great...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Matthewbeachhouse, Manager at Cape Tribulation Beach House, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Hi and THANK You for a great review. Glad you loved it and had a great time.

However, I did take your comments regarding the expense of the food and did some soul searching. I have tried since we started this new revised beach house - version 2.0 - to look at what we charge guests.

Now, our accommodation prices are in my view reasonable. Its simple economics, we are not mains power - so we have to use a generator. Now this is expensive as we do not have the luxury of cost effective tariffs. Also all our food is delivered fresh - and that is also expensive. It is not easy living in the middle of a jungle that rests next to a beach...

However, what we did is we changed things here a tad. See in the old days you paid for internet access - now its for free. We also regularly check our prices for meals with similar places in Cairns - and we do this to see how the market is going.

We are on par with most places in Cairns - that includes our alcohol prices.

I understand people are on a budget - and we do our best to keep prices reasonable. I do appreciate your thoughts - it keeps us on our toes.

Also in other news I bought a Mandolin yesterday - I plan to learn it and play at the Bistro on weekends....I always wanted to be a casino lounge singer - so this is close.

Listen when you come back ask for Matt - I may if I am in a good mood be flexible on dinner for you...:)

Matt - The Mandolin Master

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
cairns
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Look just perfect. We came here last april place played location well but service was not good. What a change...service was excellent family well looked after just fantastic. Bistro by beach served great food.

Thank you matt and the team...made our weekend..perfect will be back...

• Stayed July 2014
This guest - Norm is too kind, and I appreciate your remarks very much.

However, I still feel we did not help you enough - I know the travel agent booked your room and I know that it was not our fault. I know that you were happy with what we did - but we should have done more.

Norm arrived booked under different room that could not accommodate his family - we had to squeeze them into a cabin because I did not have any escape rooms free. I should have reserved one - like I do usually but I did not account for the large numbers.

Had I done this I could have put you in another room - I know you were happy but I was not...but thanks...I mean it. I still think I could have done more for your family..
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was exactly what we were hoping for. It is really well located in the forest and right on the beach front which is truly beautiful. The room and facilities were clean and despite the average weather we managed to have a really good time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Melbourne
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This resort has it all just exceeded all expectations. Staff were so eager to help my family even though we were a tad high maintenance x. Pretty much it all came together for a great holiday

Big thank you to everyone especially Lauren matt and Paula. Reception is basically the funniest place to be at the beach house !!

Five star if I had six I would put it x

• Stayed June 2014
Berlin
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Beach House was PARADISE. Beyond the paved road, it's a killer resort-style set of cabins nestled in the rainforest. The staff is amazing - Lauren at reception makes it pretty much impossible to be in a bad mood. Lauren is the best. The people who end up at Beach House are self-selected to get along pretty well, I'd say. The ones that are a little more adventurous, a little more into nature, and you get a lot fewer of the superboozy packpackers you'll find all along the east coast. They largely stick to PKs, which is great. If you have a car, you can chill up here for a good week and always be entertained but not exhausted. There's a great pool, so you can have a refreshing swim even when the beach is full of critters. There are a lot of great swimming holes in the area (the staff will fill you in) in the creeks which are even better, but again that's where having a car would come in pretty handy. I love this place. I live almost as far away as one could get but I can't wait to go back someday. Only a couple of small downsides - there was some super grumpy older guy (manager? groundskeeper? I don't even know.) who kind of generally harshed the chill vibe of the place, but I only ran into him a couple times. Also, they should really compost. You're in the rainforest guys! It would also be cool if they offered a shuttle once or twice a day, or even a little pay taxi service, but I had a car so everything was great for me.

Room Tip: Pretty sure there are no bad rooms actually, but be sure to bring a flashlight to more comfortably w...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Matthewbeachhouse, Manager at Cape Tribulation Beach House, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Awww shucks thanks - I love the perfect reviews, and I LOVE the fact you had a good time.

Hmm grumpy guy you say? Well I have no idea who that could of been, because I am only 35 and have a heavy moisturizing routine and skin exfoliation technique I would not be called old...so it was not me...but I can only imagine it was one of the maintenance guys... they can get a tad grumpy when one of the sewage lines are busted....but yeah I will look into it...you can never be grumpy in front of customers...although you still gave us 5 out of 5 - so I am glad it did impact to heavily on your trip....

Thank you so much for the long and detailed review - I so much appreciate it...ohh yeah the compost thing...I know we should be doing that....but there are restrictions of what we can and cannot do in the Daintree - most of them are just stupid. However, we do recycle, we have a virtual paperless office - and I re use my jokes every day....but yes I acknowledge their must be someway we can have a compost - and I will look into it tomorrow. (Paula please remind me)
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

After encouraging my mate to ride our mountain bikes from Mossman to The Lions Den Hotel (140klms) for a birthday beer, we pulled into the Beach House for our first night R&R. Drying off from a totally refreshing dip in the crystal clear pool we washed down the inside with a few ice cold draughts in the open bar before devouring a sumptuous steak and seafood dinner. On return to our quiet little bungalow we crashed completly satisfied into our bunks, only to hear the sounds of nature faiding into a deep and rejuvinating sleep. Thanks guys, we are already planning our return ride to your little piece of heaven.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say. Invited up with friends great experiance. This is just such a special place the location is on the northern end of cape trib and right on the beach itself.

Staff are great and was impressed with the quality of service. Food was another draw card. Would have liked a tv in my room..but we did accept we were in the rainforest after all !!

Cannot praise enough !

Heritage Lodge & Spa
Cape Trib Farmstay B&B
Cape Trib Farmstay B&B
#1 of 5 in Cape Tribulation

Been to Cape Tribulation Beach House? Share your experiences!