“Family of 4 - 2 nights”

Cape Trib Beach House
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Let me start by saying, like many of you I have never reviewed accommodation before but am an avid reader of reviews when it comes to doing my research. Our family of 4 (2 small children) recently spent a week in Cairns, Cape Trib, Daintree etc. When looking at options for Cape Trib, reading reviews and looking at photos - it seemed all we were going to get was extreme 5 star, or an array of dodgy places with really mixed reviews and mismatched photos etc. Our dilemma - yes we could do dodgy for one night, but staying for 2 nights I wanted to make sure we were somewhere more than a one star rating......I stumbled across Cape Trib Beach House.....read some really mixed reviews and wasn't sure what to do. So I rang reception and spoke to Lauren and asked her lots of questions about cleanliness etc. Two things happened on that phone call - she gave me 100% confidence that we would have a great time, going to great lengths to send me copies of menus etc and explain about a new management team in place. That new management team is led by Matt - very passionate about what he does, and this comes through all staff at the Beach House who have time for a chat, offer advice on local activities etc. In a nutshell, very glad we stayed here.......even more so when we realised we had brought the wrong battery charger for our camera, and Matt was able to collect a new one for us in Mosman...talk about A1 SERVICE!!.......And if you are still wondering whether you should stay here - then the answer is YES....whether you are a backpacker wanting to do your own thing, a couple wanting some beachside romance or a family like us.....this unique place will suit you all !

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Emma L

Reviewed 15 July 2014

well all I did was speak to Matt to book a room, and I could not have had so much fun.....and that was only booking!! I am so looking forward to meeting and sharing my experience up at Cape Trib with everybody........

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This YHA is set in the rainforest beside the beach. It has simple but comfortable cabins. I am glad we had an ensuite as the bathrooms, laundry and reception (with the only wifi) were quite a walk away. The bistro served large portions of simple pub style food (fish and chips, steak etc). It was fine for a simple meal when we arrived. The shared kitchen is very under resourced, no crockery, cutlery and limited pots and pans. We avoided this but some people were using it. We ate our cereal from the mug provided in our room. If you are looking for a beachside, rainforest Eco cabin, this is the place. If you are looking for a resort (as they are attempting to sell themselves online) then others may be more suitable!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Matthewbeachhouse, Manager at Cape Trib Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Hi thanks for your feedback. Seems you had a great time....however, I was a little concerned with your comment regarding this is marketed as a resort - when it is, which I think caused you to rate us only 3 out of 5.

I respectfully disagree - this is a resort - an amazing resort and I have no other idea what we would call it other then a resort. It is not a hostel and it is not a hotel and it is not a bed and breakfast. Therefore using the method of deductive reasoning it is a resort.

While I respect your views - I have to disagree with them - but you had a good time, there were no issues with your resort other then your concerns how we label ourselves. If you look at our website I wrote a blog about this under the heading - Cape Trib Beach House the identity crises. It covers this - and it a very good blog.

Hmmmm...well that is my opinion. :)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

As a local showing southern visitors our region, I'm impressed with & thoroughly recommend the Beach House if you want a genuine tropical beach, wildlife & rainforest experience that's great value for money, with happy, thoughtful and really helpful staff - not an over the top ritzy upmarket place but it truly reflects what we locals love about living in this area. Thanks Matt and all the staff for your customer service. We'll be back!

Room Tip: From the carpark to the rooms is a bit of a walk ...but the wander through the rainforest is a great...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lorraine_aussiegypsy
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in a family bungalow and was unsure of what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised at the standard of the bungalow and although there was opportunity for bugs to enter the cabin, I only saw one cockroach and a spider.
The restaurant was average prices for Australia and the food was superb. we ate there every night although there is opportunity to use a communal kitchen if you wish.
Trips can be arranged from the reception area and we did the horseriding and forest zipwire, both of which were well worth doing.
The beach is a few steps from the bar area and is the most breathtaking beach you could ever wish to visit - and completely empty of people - tropical bliss.
There is wifi at the reception area too and the staff are very helpful.
The bar staff were very friendly and made our stay much more enjoyable, even trying to find spiders for me to look at!
can't wait to go back to the Daintree and for me - this is the only place to stay!

Room Tip: Family room #2 has a very large bathroom
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Chebes
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Matt was absolutely the most generous, warm and helpful person I have ever dealt with when organising holidays. Management truly cares about their guests' experience here, and they enthusiastically went to great lengths to ensure a wonderful stay. Matt is brimming with cheerful hospitality and a happy spirit that fills this Beach House with positive vibes. And let's face it, that's what you want on your holidays!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Cape Trib Beach House as part of our honeymoon adventure to Australia. We spent 3 days and 2 nights here. First, I have to say, we knew what we were getting ourselves into. If you're looking for a 5 star resort with a heated pool and sauna, this isn't where you want to come. This is exactly as it's advertised, lodging where the rainforest and the beach meet. We stayed in the St Crispin which I would highly recommend to anyone who isn't a hostel type visitor. We had the best view of the beach peeking through the trees, away from everyone else (#3). The bungalow itself had everything you needed. I believe the beds were 2 twins pushed together but I'm not even sure as I couldn't tell. You're in the rainforest so the wildlife is right there next to you. There are insects and you might see them in the bungalows. I didn't see any personally but my husband said he saw a large roach in the bathroom. We also heard the marsupials(?) chewing on the bungalow at one point but they weren't loud or a bother.

The staff, they are incredible! You really do feel like you're leaving as friends. Everyone at the front desk was charming and truly willing to help if you needed anything. The chef, wow, that guy needs a raise (I don't know his salary but it isn't enough!). I had the most incredible Penne with white wine vinegar and mushrooms and spinach two nights in a row. It's technically a lunch item but they were so sweet to make it for me for dinner both nights because we missed lunch the first night (and then it was so good, I wanted it the second night too haha). My husband actually tried a few different items off the menu and he's convinced the guy couldn't make a bad meal if he tried. He exceeds all of the food we've ever tasted here in Houston, Texas.

At one point after we left our SD card outside the main building (we were uploading photos), the manager of Cape Trib Beach House sought us out later in the day to return it to us.

Our experience was truly wonderful and I can't thank everyone at Cape Trib Beach House enough. I don't have one bad thing to say. Thank you so much for making our honeymoon even more memorable!

Room Tip: St Crispin #3!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Cape Trib Farmstay B&B
#1 of 5 in Cape Tribulation
Lync-Haven Rainforest Retreat, Cabins, Camping & Wildlife Experience
Daintree Wilderness Lodge

Been to Cape Trib Beach House? Share your experiences!