“Cute hostel in the middle of the jungle”

PK's Jungle Village
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I didnt know what to expect when I booked into PK's Jungle Village - but was pleasantly surprised upon arrival. The common area/dinning/bar area was spacious, fun and clean. The food was much nicer then most hostels, however, expensive. The cabbins were basic cabbins, nothing special, as were the shower area and kitchen area. They had a gorgeous pool area and the grounds were kept in great condition. Behind the main hostel bit, theres the camping area, which looked nice as well. Theres also a little pathway leading down to the beach - which is a must see if youre at PK's. Overall, this hostel was nice, clean, and fun and I would go back again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
FrankVDHeijden, Owner at PK's Jungle Village, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Hi LaurenNicole91,

Thank you so much for leaving your feedback about your stay at PKs Jungle Village.

We value your feedback as we try and make everyone's Cape Tribulation experience the best that we can!

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Kind Regards,

Frank

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

It's rare that I ever rate any where poorly but this place was poor. The reception was chaotic and the French receptionist not interested and only concerned about me paying a $20 deposit in cash. As I was camping I asked what the deposit was for? I never received a a satisfactory reply and can only assume the deposit was a bonus for the staff if I forgot to collect it the next day as was told that it could only be collected between very narrow times? Next was the potential for credit card fraud, so pay attention dear reader; I offered to pay with my credit card, but it was not processed there and then. I was told to write down my card details on a piece of paper including the expiry date and the three digit security code. No way would I be so stupid so I paid cash, but I wonder how many guests, especially young and vulnerable backpackers, find that their card details are used for fraudulent transactions? This was a disgraceful lack of security. The bar was dreadful with a stoned youth trying his best to grope every female in sight and the staff just ignored him. The cooking facilities for campers in the campers' kitchen consisted of two gas rings for all campers, a filthy microwave oven, two broken kettles and a dead electric hot plate ( no pans provided). The bins were overflowing with rubbish and whilst eventually eating outside I saw my first Australian rat running around the kitchen , and no it wasn't a rare marsupial , it was a rat. Do your self a favour and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank raadjjh

Hi raadjjh,

Thank you for providing your feedback about your stay at PKs Jungle Village.

I am sorry to hear you've had a bad experience upon check in, however, the $20 cash deposit is required when guests pay their stay with cash and acts like a bond for your stay, just like any other hotel would put a hold of a certain amount of money on your credit card in case of damages etc..

Our check in process requires guests to put down credit card details, this is the same in 99% of hotels in Australia, so I am not quiet sure why this would call for accusing our staff of being involved in fraudulent activities.

Lastly, PKs Jungle Village has a zero-tolerance for illegal substance abuse on it's properties for both guests and staff alike.

I invite you to please give me a call on 07 4098 0040 as I would like to learn more about your experience and find out where and who you dealt with in order for us improve our business.

Kindest Regards,

Frank

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I found this an over priced cabin. The sheets were stained, the beds are worst than terrible. There are no windows. The bathroom is in desperate need for a screwdriver.

On top of this, the continental breakfast does not include coffee.

On the bright side, the beach is beautiful surrounded by unbelievable mangroves

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Argis61
Reviewed 4 August 2013

PKs is the heart of Cape Tribulation, and there are some lovely things about it. It's in a good location to explore the Daintree, has some lovely staff, and the pool is really nice. It has a large clean kitchen (that said if you're planning on cooking bring supplies with you as the little supermarket is super-expensive!) and a nice vibe among travellers. It's a short walk to the beach through a mangrove boardwalk. There's a variety of accommodation from dorms and private rooms to camping.

There are, however, lots of down sides. The dorm rooms need some maintenance - the beds squeak with a ridiculously loud high-pitch squeak that I got woken up every time the person in the bunk above moved. For $25 a night in a small dorm they could do it up a bit.

Sleep quality is also reduced by a really noisy bar on site. The loud music doesn't finish until just before 1am. There's a bit of a mis-match between wanting party types but also having families staying. When we were there they were stupid enough to allow a Bucks party to stay - so you've got chilled out travellers, families with children and a bunch of obnoxious morons harassing all the female guests, yelling throughout the night and vomiting all over the place. The owner talked to them a lot and seemed fine with them - clearly happier to get their money and let the rest of us have a sleepless night.

One final problem is that I think I may have been bitten by bed bugs here!

Room Tip: If you're not there to party don't stay in the rooms closest to the bar, ask to be down the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ggg17
Reviewed 1 August 2013

The cabin was adequate, beds ok. Not the sort of room you would want to do anything but sleep in. That said, it is a very convenient place - good if you have been on the road. Showers, laundry room and kitchen. Close to a great beach! A bar and restaurant with basic food is right there. And a store. A good stopping off point

Room Tip: Think about distance to the toilets - or rent an ensuite.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Cape Tribulation is fairly remote, so taking that into consideration PK's was a good place to stay. I had a double room with ensuite, and slept very well. The water pressure in the shower was fairly average but at least it was hot.
PK's is a backpackers joint but the crowd is quite diverse (even a few grey nomads). The bar/restaurant is exceptional with Icy cold beer and very tasty food.

Room Tip: I can see how the dorms here could be rough, but the ensuite cabin was very comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 May 2013

In fairness to this operation, it is pretty much what it claims to be and we visited during what clearly was the off-season. PK's was just about the only thing open. We booked for two nights but split after the first night both because it was raining very hard and there was nothing much to do. I had e-mailed well before our arrival asking for assistance in finding someone to take us on a night walk. No one ever responded to that request. The beach is lovely and easily accessed, but the facilities are better suited to backpackers than to families or old folks like us.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Lync-Haven Rainforest Retreat, Cabins, Camping & Wildlife Experience
Cape Trib Farmstay B&B
Cape Trib Farmstay B&B
#1 of 5 in Cape Tribulation

Been to PK's Jungle Village? Share your experiences!