“Lovely motel”

Ranked #1 of 4 Cloncurry B&B and Inns
Mackay, Australia
“Lovely motel”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This motel is really nice and comfortable. It is clean and modern. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We had a room at the back of the motel which was very quiet. The price is a little expensive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This motel is a beauty. Architecturally designed in rammed earth and corrugated iron, the rooms have recently been refreshed. The rooms are large with well thought out furnishings and the outlook attractive. A decent licensed restaurant completes the package. We thought the pricing quite reasonable for what you got and considering that Cloncurry is a mining town. The staff were terrific - a minor problem on check-in was fixed with alacrity and a complementary bottle of wine. Highly recommended

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maxblacklab
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have now stayed at this motel twice, the most recent time in March. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the meal was good, but I personally feel, the cost of the room was quite expensive. I always try to stay in hotels/motels that have a restaurant, because the last thing I want to do is have to go out and find somewhere to eat, especially after a long drive. The room was clean. We were only staying one night and leaving quite early the next morning, which was not a problem.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Hal470709
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We arrived after driving 800km to a miserable, unfriendly, American/Canadian? Girl on reception who advised me she was charging us an extra night because we had been a no show the night before. I advised her she was incorrect, there was no apology or anything thankfully I had the email correspondence.
Now we have stayed here numerous times prior and I know this is not normal for the Gidgee, however, I was still on the verge of walking out and going elsewhere, so I don't know how new clients must feel when they turn up to reception to be met with such an unfriendly greeting.
There is a gentleman working there though and he was absolutely lovely, I suggest he stays on reception and the girl works behind the scenes as she is not someone I would want as the face of my business.
To the room, now they were not as clean as they usually are but again this is the first time we have had this, ie bedding not ironed, a quarter of toilet roll, missing towels for one person, light bulbs now working.
I do love the rooms though, very spacious, comfy beds, table and chairs and a TV (although quite small). We found room service quite expensive so walked down the road for food.
I would come back but only if the receptionist has moved on, I'm praying she is just a backpacker.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank karos1
Queensland
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The accommodation was nice enough but overall just seemed to suffer from a lack of attention to detail. For example, there were two lights in the bathroom but only one worked. The towel rail wasn't quite affixed properly and fell off when I hung my towel on it. I had to call reception because they forgot to put milk in the fridge. The garden sprinkler system was on in the afternoon when I arrived and was still running the next morning when I woke up with all the gardens flooded. It was good but a little more attention to detail could make it great. Dinner in the restaurant was very nice with great service so thoroughly recommend that.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The first room offered was not "made up"... whoops... and the second was 'sold' to me as an executive room. Nope, just a room... but a big room and a fabulous king bed, I only needed a quarter of that... What I found quite odd was the small television?
Sure I am no tourist, I value things like a work desk, some power jacks near for the myriad of cables I carry - and with a biggish room - a lounging sofa and decent sized telly would be my choice... some carpet or a mat on the tiled section of the floor may help as well

I found the furniture "cheap" - and not befitting the effort and style of the building... the earthen walls and decent bathroom - but why have cheap furniture?

Good shower - considering the abysmal Cloncurry water and I was fortunate to stay when it rained... I enjoyed several hours of wonderful rain

Overall.... a good motel, a work in progress I think.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jeff M
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Motel rooms were great, neat and tidy, good aircon (it was 40 degrees in Cloncurry that night) bathrooms were large and clean, beds were comfortable and had new pillows. The reception was very welcoming (we hadn't pre-booked and were towing a trailer). The restaurant was closed, however we were recommended a great alternative around the corner. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank WilburPud

Been to Gidgee Inn Motel? Share your experiences!