“Highly recommended rainforest getaway!”

Red Mill House in Daintree
Ranked #1 of 5 Daintree B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 September 2010

Our experience at Red Mill House in Daintree was absolutely fabulous! Andrew and Trish were welcoming from the first phone call we made to our last wave out of their driveway. We appreciated their warmth during our visit, yet at the same time, they were careful to give us our privacy as well. We had an extremely clean room (and I'm picky, so don't take those words lightly)! The breakfast was delicious and they were very accommodating to my vegetarian diet. The property is gorgeous and peaceful and we enjoyed the variety of birds, plus the cutest little tree frog that Andrew pointed out for us. The area is great...lots to do and Trish will help you plan your excursions if you'd like (we recommend this as we had two fabulous days based on her advice)! We can't thank Andrew and Trish enough for our experience at their B&B and we hope to get back there sooner than later!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 September 2010

Trish and Andrew made us very welcome and really put themselves out to ensure our short stay was an enjoyable one. The Chris Dalburg river trip is a must but the birdwatching all around Daintree is amamzing.

I only regret is that we didn't stay longer.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2010

I recently spent 4 nights at the Red Mill House and absolutely enjoyed it. Comfortable rooms, good breakfasts and wonderful people made this a great place to be. The bedroom was the perfect size, and although I was travelling alone on this trip, there would have been plenty of room had my wife been there. The main house had a common room with tv and plenty of room to sit and relax, plus plenty of resource information on the local flora and fauna.

I am a bird watcher, and that was the primary reason I chose to stay at Red Mill. On property and in the immediate area there were a lot of new species for me. Day one I went onto my porch and right there – two new species. Trish, Andrew and Ellen are great birders and superb resources on local species (and don’t forget the bandicoots, fruit bats and other animals in the area). But you don’t have to be a birder to enjoy the setting – about half of the people there during my stay were non-birders (although I think a few were converted by the end of their stay – it is hard to not appreciate everything around the house).

Note: if you are going to bird watch, try to spend at least a half day in the field with Ellen, and Trish and Andrew know the “hot spots” where to find the local endemics.

Red Mill House is an eco-friendly bed & breakfast that provides a comfortable place to sit back and relax. I had a great time talking not only with Andrew and Trish but also the other guests – people from all parts of the world who were there for the opportunity to stay in the Australian rain forest.

I highly recommend Red Mill House to anyone looking for a place to stay in this part of Australia. And I am looking forward to returning to try and find those species I missed.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank jrecology
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Red Mill House was one of the highlights of our holiday. It was wonderful to go to the tropics and to be able to enjoy the exotic surroundings - the well designed house works WITH the environment so that you felt a part of it but without sacrificing comfort.
It was terrific to lie in bed and listen to gentle rain and bush birds. Our room was comfortable and with good reading lights. Breakfast featured locally grown tropical fruits.
Trish and Andrew are fabulous hosts. They are very involved in the Daintree community and have wonderful local knowledge. They are fabulous communicators and took enormous pains to ensure that guests were equipped in every way to explore the area. I appreciated our annotated maps and bag packed with chilled water.
Trish and Andrew were funny and fun. I loved staying with them.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Set in the beautiful Daintree Village, back from the road it felt like I had found a hidden treasure. I felt very welcome in Andrew and Trish's home and felt well looked after. The amount of "care" was spot on, from a beautiful breakfast and guide to what was in the region really suited my needs. This included practical things like a run down of restaurants in the area, some great walks, information about the local birdlife and other wildlife and even a great masseuse.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Trish and Andrew are friendly, considerate and helpful hosts. We were made most welcome.
They were happy to offer suggestions for making best use of our time in Daintree. Other little extra details were appreciated.
You don't have to be interested in birds to enjoy the comforts of Red Mill House, but if you are Trish and Andrew are a mine of helpful information.
This was our second visit and we hope to return next year .
P.S.The breakfasts are to die for!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I stayed at Red Mill for 4 nights. I was travelling with my 6 month old son, husband and another couple. Based on the fantastic reviews that Red Mill has on Trip Advisor, we decided we had to stay at this place.

Red Mill is fantastically clean and quaint. However, we had a terrible time there. Red Mill has received EcoTourism awards for lowering their consumption of electricity and what not.

Should you fall into the category that needs the use of the AC, washer/dryer etc, you might feel very uncomfortable staying there as there is a very strong expectation that you dont run pretty much any electrical/gasoline appliance.

The very first day we arrived, my son had just fallen asleep after an hour of crying. The car seat gets very hot so even a few minutes without an AC results the temperature becoming uncomfortable. We come from the Northeast US and just came from winter so the 35C weather was new to my son. I kept the car running while my husband went to get the keys. Trish and Andrew INSISTED multiple times that we turn the engine off. They did not know the background of why I needed the engine running. It was MY car, I was paying for the gas and yet they insisted that I turn the engine off. I refused twice but my husband turned the car off the third time and yes, my son woke up crying. GREAT!

Guess in part, it was my stupid fault for travelling with such a young child, but I hoped that people would at least let me be in my own car!

The lodge advertises ACs, but you should not use them or run the washers unless you have a very full load, DO NOT RUN THE DRYERS, even if you have to dry clothes in the shed and might find spiders on them later.

This was unacceptable to me. We ran the AC as my son could not sleep in the heat. We were forced to combine laundry with the other couple even though my son's dirty diapers were in there, and, even then Andrew was unhappy that we ran them without his permission. We were only allowed to dry my son's diapers in the dryer, all other clothes had to be line dried in the shed.

There were so many rules about using the washer dryer - even though we paid for each load.

If I pay for a load, I would like to at least wash my son's dirty stinky diapers on their own instead of forcing another couple to have their clothes washed at the same time.

Before the trip, I emailed Trish and asked if we could have the upper rooms if they were available at the time of our stay. She said that they were available but we could only have them if the lodge was empty as we had a child.

I am not sure what the logic was, as my son could note exactly stomp around the place. He was not even crawling at the time. But, I decided to wait and see.

On arrival, we found that the lodge would be empty, but my request to be moved to the upper rooms was denied and Trish denied that she emailed me saying that we could move if the lodge was empty. I have since sent her a copy of her email. She did not address the part where she said that we could have the rooms if the lodge was empty.

Why were the upper rooms so important to me?

I am a photographer and the angle of the light is very important to me. Given my young son's nap schedules, I wanted the flexibility of being able to set up the camera and tripod outside my room and yet angle the lens away from the light.

Trish's solution was that I should set up tripod on the upper deck, not sure what I was supposed to do with my sleeping son.

Needless to say, I got not photographs from the lodge - the entire purpose of my trip was moot.

There were also NO birds that I could see from my lower level unit anywhere on the grounds. Not sure if the time of the year was wrong or what .. but you have to walk to fields or go on a boat cruise to see anything.

This being said - the lodge is very, very clean. Daintree is extremely quaint, restaurants are lovely, the cruises that Trish recommended and set up on the Daintree were fantastic and very productive.

You can stay here and have a great time as long as you fit what Trish and Andrew are looking for .. and we did not fit the bill.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
14  Thank Temp1
redmill, Owner at Red Mill House in Daintree, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2010

We are very disappointed that this guest was so unhappy with her experience at Red Mill House.
As owners of Red Mill House, we strive to ensure our guests are well cared for and leave happy. Our Tripadvisor reviews reflect this. We acknowledge that Red Mill House is not for everybody and we try to assess suitability when taking bookings. This guest was clearly unsuited to Red Mill House.
Our Environmental Policy is clearly published on our website, is not unusual, and is not particularly onerous. Our guests generally appreciate our efforts and embrace our environmental ethos.
Guests are allowed to use the air-conditioners, but we expect them to use them in a thoughtful manner. Likewise with washing machines, lights etc.
Red Mill House is a traditional B&B, not a hotel. We are sharing our home with our guests and people generally respond to our hospitality with traditional good manners by asking permission to use the facilities – BBQ, computer, laundry etc. They also respect our choices of suitability of rooms, according to the circumstances at the time. We try to be mindful of each and every guest.
Trip Advisor is a fabulous research tool, but we recommend that people also look at the Red Mill House website before making bookings.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Daintree
Daintree EcoLodge & Spa
Silky Oaks Lodge
#1 of 2 in Mossman
Daintree Wilderness Lodge
Daintree Riverview Lodges & Camp Ground

Been to Red Mill House in Daintree? Share your experiences!