“Shocking. Should be a 3 star resort at best.”

Peppers Blue On Blue Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Magnetic Island
Brisbane, Australia
“Shocking. Should be a 3 star resort at best.”
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Checked in here for a nice overnight stay as a bit of a treat to myself at the end of a longer holiday in Townsville. Was bitterly disappointed. I have stayed at other Peppers resorts across Australia, and at other 5 star hotels in Australia and throughout the world, but never have I seen anything as atrocious as this place was.
My bad experience started with reception. Checked in with 4 large bags and a toddler in arms. Whilst I was obviously struggling, no one offered to assist me to my room, and directions were vague and unhelpful, "just head down that way and up the stairs and you will find it"
When I eventually managed to get to the room itself, it smelled like vomit and as though other bodily functions had been left to sit in the toilet for days. The cleanliness level itself on the surface was satisfactory, but a spray of air freshener would have done wonders. Other details such as marks on walls, paint peeling on the ceiling of the bathroom, stains on the sofa, and dirty windows leading onto the balcony were disappointing when one is paying a premium to stay in a 'luxury' resort.
My 'view' was of the IGA/ferry terminal carpark. Meh.
The room initially appeared to be tiny, but on awakening I realised that it was just from bad positioning of furniture, ie desk placed up against balcony door, leaving a 30cm gap to exit the balcony.
TV reception was pitiful, could receive a blurry channel ten and nine, and a good sbs. I think there was a sports channel and fox 8 but it was too blurry to tell. Across the road at the ferry terminal they had a display tv set up with crystal clear digital reception, so poor reception should not be an excuse.
There is still no in room information available and looking at other reviews, this seems to be a long term problem. This would have been useful to help with exploring the island, the baby and I went for a walk in both directions, but anything interesting seems to be 5+ km away.
There is no wifi available, perhaps in an attempt to stop people posting poor reviews on sites such as this.
The swimming pools are nice to look at, but not heated in winter, and there is no spa or jacuzzi alternative for a bit of warmth.
The buffet breakfast was not of the standard of other Peppers breakfasts I have had in the past, the yoghurt was warm, the hot food was cold, only two choices of cereals, the bread was stale. The fruit platter was 3/4 empty when I arrived, and remained so until I left some half hour later, as no one was topping it up.
To top it all off I ended up with food poisoning or gastro either from the disgusting breakfast, or from catching the illness that the person who used the room before me obviously had from the lingering smells.
SO thank you Peppers. Never ever again. I have stayed in cheap roadside motels that were better than this, and without the intense disappointment.
I have never written a review like this before, but hopefully this will serve as a warning to others, NOT to stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank sass1234
GeneralManagerPBOB, General Manager at Peppers Blue On Blue Resort, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
I was very disappointed to read your review as I have just recently returned from a short break and going through our guest comment cards, they painted a different picture. so I do deeply apologies for troubles you encountered at our property.

Our in room compendiums have been completed and in the process of being returned to all rooms, thank you for letting us know your room had been missed. Also I believe there has been a nasty stomach bug going around which I also was unfortunate to fall victim before leaving on my leave so I feel your pain and hope you are feeling better. Our breakfast buffet offered is normally of a high Peppers standard and I will be looking into this further with the Chef and Restaurant manager.

I deeply apologies for your experience and would love to speak with you in person to discuss this further to retain what steps were taken to rectify this issue.

Allan Benfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Peppers is beautiful, spotless surrounds, perfect staff and a can do top bloke Manager. The restaurant was magnificent, as was the day spa.
Just one word of warning try to deal direct with the property, I thought I was but was dealing with central reservations. They painted an unrealistic expectation of the rooms I booked but to the Managers credit in his can do way all was fixed. Also they have an ECO deal that would have me $100 on my 3 night stay which was not offered.
Overall fantastic but deal direct, well done MAGGIE team!

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Franes3030
GeneralManagerPBOB, General Manager at Peppers Blue On Blue Resort, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
This would have to be our Wonderful guests from the deep south.

Thank you for your review and I will ensure to pass your kind words onto the team, your approach was fantastic and one that I welcome. if you are unsatisfied with your room then come down and let us know. My small team of staff will do everything they possibly can to ensure your stay is perfect.

Please except my apologies on behalf of central reservations, the team at CRES deal with over 130 different hotels around the country and sometimes training of new staff slip into the mix. I have since notified both team leaders of your booking difficulty and they responded accordingly.

Thank you again for your feedback and it was a pleasure looking after you, also I hope your stay at Port Douglass was equally as enjoyable.

kind regards,

Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 June 2011

The Hotel was very clean & tidy & the staff so helpful & friendly.
The complex was fantastic & would be a great place to stay with a family. The swimming pools & grounds were amazing & very well maintained..The boardwalk was a great place to
enjoy your morning breakfast or coffee and watch the Ferries come in & leave again. Being so close to the terminal was a plus as you did not need transport to get to your Accommodation.
We would love to have stayed longer.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank janjohnsimon
Dear reviewer,

Your wonderful review is greatly appreciated, and I will ensure to pass onto the team. It was great to hear of your experiences, especially those of sitting and watching the boats go by. My family and I have made it our Sunday ritual to have breakfast and coffee on the deck in the sun as we too love to just soak up the sun and watch the yachts go past.

Thank you again for your review and hope to see you return again sometime.

Warm regards,

Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Top spot with gorgeous views but the restaurant needs attention. To be told the restaurant was booked out and then to find there was no one in there was rather discombobulating. This was not the first time I had this experience having dined at the restaurant two weeks prior. Despite this, we did get a table without any problems and the food was very nice. Bar staff, however, were not so efficient and a little terse. The rooms were well equipped but the soft furnishings were stained and dirty. All round, some closer attention to the bar and restaurant would improve the overall appeal.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kimble26
Zwickau, Germany
Reviewed 18 June 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed in this resort during our Australia trip! It was just beautiful. At first of all, Magnetic Island is a really awesome Island!!! We also liked the Peppers Resort from the beginning on. We were warmly welcomed and we were well looked after during our whole stay!

Our room was nice and clean - we felt very comfortable! The resort is also really nice and clean! It has two nice pools. One of them is just amazing big - we haven't seen something like this before. We also liked the good atmosphere in the restaurant. The food was just unbelievable - for me it was one of the best steaks I have ever eaten! However, our stay was very good and I can recommend it to everyone who needs a break from his/her daily routine!

Pascal and Anna from Germany...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2011

we had our wedding reception here. and would do it all again tomorrow if we could. Jackie the events co ordinator was nothing but professional and made our day perfect with all that she did she was amazing! and all the bar staff especially Tiffany where fantastic Peppers are very lucky to have such wonderful staff... this made our wedding day so much more special we enjoyed the whole week that we stayed with peppers.
The food for our canape style wedding was delicious and all off guests where amazed with the quality and the taste of the food, so again we where very happy.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Kiama, Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Lovely wrap around pool, overlooking a very pretty marina, on a friendly island only 15 mins by ferry from a major city (Townsville, Qld). Room service polite and obliging, restaurant very modern. Magnetic island is a beautiful location, hirena mole to drive around, spectacular views in every direction, not highly developed or spoilt commercially.

Room Tip: Room 1232 is hotel style, next to marina.