“WE HAD A GREAT TIME SAYING AT THIS HOTEL”

Peppers Blue On Blue Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Magnetic Island
norfolk
“WE HAD A GREAT TIME SAYING AT THIS HOTEL”
Reviewed 20 August 2011

As visitors from the Uk we had not stayed at a Peppers hotel before. Prior to our visit we found the reception staff very helpful replying quickly to our e mails and answering all our questions. On arrival we were quickly given our room key and my only comment for improvement was the instructions to find our room were not very clear. The premier room over looking the marina was great. Clean and well maintained and we were very satisfied. What a balcony and what a view!
I did swim in the pool, and by our standards found the water warm and would have no complaints!!!! We ate in the restaurant several times and apart from one night when the restaurant was busy and the service was slow would have no complaints. We have since stayed at another Peppers hotel and found the customer service at this hotel much better. Thank you all for a memorable three days.

Room Tip: go for a premier room , the view is worth it!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trudi j
GeneralManagerPBOB, General Manager at Peppers Blue On Blue Resort, responded to this review, 6 September 2011

I hope you managed to pull yourself away from the pool to explore the fantastic island while you were here. it sounds as though you had a great stay and we would love to have you back some time.

Should you return to our amazing country and manage to come past Maggie island again please let me know and I will help you out with a great rate.

Allan Benfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Sunshine Coast
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Friends of ours stayed in a hotel room which overlooked the car park and ferry terminal and had tired furniture even though the property is only 4 years old. The is pool large and welcoming but is not heated so too cold to swim in winter. The 2 bedroom we were in had stained furniture, cups and saucers but no mugs ( and only two of them despite other crockery having settings for 4. No items that one might need in an apartment on holiday like jug for water, sald bowl etc. Huge kitchen but not well equipped.

Cleaners just pull up the bed sheets and change towels, dirty glasses were left where they were. The 2 bedroom backed onto a road and the sliding door was not double glazed so early morning traffic was noisy, this was coupled with being able to hear the ins and outs of the family in the apartment below and adjacent even when we were in the living area ( with the doors open). The property has a lovely feel when you go in but lets you down when you get into the rooms/apartments. Certainly not 4.5 - 5 star.

The secure Car park was so secure that it almost never worked for us and had no button to press to speak to staff, so had to trek back around to reception to get keys re-cut. Once inside the car park there was rat droppings all throughout which didn't set a good impression!

The apartments are a long way from reception and have no lift so more elderley folk may want to ask to stay closer to reception. The rest of Maggie however was beautiful and the full moon party ( which draws 1000's to the Xbase backpackers), nowhere near as noisy as you may expect! Sorry Peppers but this time you didn't live up to your reputation!

Having stayed at Bright Point across the way previously I would certainly recommend it over Peppers.

Room Tip: Stay in an apartment and try to get one that doesn't back onto the road.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank 25pixie

Unfortunately some of our rooms do have a different view to those facing the Marina, and we have ensured this is pointed out on all our websites and also priced them lower to allow for the budget conscious traveler. We do have other rooms available with different views and facilities available to book or upgrade upon request.

I do need to point out that Magnetic island has a very large population of Koalas, Rock wallabies and also one that inhabits our resort is the Possum. These animals leave allot of droppings in the car park and yes it is a constant battle to keep clean, we do not have rats in any form... there was once a population of native water rats in the early stages of development however these animals are fragile to development and moved on.

It sounds as though you stay on the island a bit, I would welcome you to give me a call should you look at returning and i would sort you out with a more suitable apartment for your next visit.

Please feel free to contact me via the hotel line at any time.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Myself my wife and seven other friends traveled to Townsville for the V8's and stayed at Peppers. On arrival we were warmly greeted and proccessed very quickly. the two rooms we had booked were magnificent overlooking the pool area down the back. Many thanks to Ash the barman and the rest of the staff for the great service and laughs we had over the seven days we were there. i had read some of the negitive blogs about the place and was a bit worried about what we would find but anyone who thinks this place is awfull needs to get a life, just ease up and enjoy. Always remember, people treat you as you treat them and the guys and girls at peppers are fantastic

Room Tip: Ask for a pool veiw
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank HappyGeorge053
Well done Happy George!!

I had to print off your pics to show the team as they would all remember you well. Please ensure to let me know if the clan are coming back for next year’s V8 Supercars and I will ensure you are in the same area of the resort.

Since the V8s we have had new umbrellas added to the deck and swimming pools and now are awaiting the sign off for some extra furniture, so next year will be bigger and better. Please feel free to contact me directly if there was something you felt missing that would make your stay even better next time around and we will endeavor to see it happen.

Thanks again,

Brisbane
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I had been staying in Townsville for a week on business and flew my wife up for weekend a birthday treat for her. We had never stayed at a Peppers Resort but believed it was a high quality resort. On arrival we were given the key for room 1211. This the same room cthink from July 5 was given. It had list of things wrong a mile long. Dirty carpets, stain chairs, dirty cooking surfaces, ripped bedding to name just a few. I had paid for a superior room at $250 a night and what we got was 3 star. We went back to reception and told them we were not happy. They said 'they will see what we can do, come back later'. When we went back later we were told we had now be given a "premium room", this room was the same as the last just with a better view. However the furnishing were not dirty and stained as the previous one.
After the room debacle was sorted we decided we would go to the restaurant for lunch only to be told it was shutting and being set up for a wedding that night. We also told it would not be open that night (sat). This was very disappointing as we did not have a car or any way of getting around. At this stage we ready to ask for our money back and return to Townsville.
We went to dinner Sunday night and I woke up later that night with food poisoning.
I am a senior manager for a large organization and travel extensively around Australia generally staying at Holiday Inns or Accor hotels. I have never had this type of experience before.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Gvbeh

I apologies for the poor standard you first experienced as this is not our intention for any of our guests although reading on I see that once moved the new room was to your standard and i hope that we met your expectations on cleanliness and quality. We have since had all the carpets and furnishings cleaned and a monthly process implemented to ensure they do not return to the way you found them. Due to the high volume of guests experienced over this season it was unfortunately a little difficult to coordinate until recently.

Our restaurant is of very high quality and demand, hence the reason it is heavily booked every weekend. I would love to speak with you more in relation to your upset stomach issue as we have not had any other complaints around this time. It would be good to narrow the cause of this unfortunate illness you experienced.

Please feel free to contact me on the resort number to discuss this further.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights, with breakfast in the mornings in a standard room.
The room and bathroom was very spacious, modern and had everything we needed.
Once you step off the ferry, Peppers, is only a few metres walking distance away. As is the bus stops to get around the island. There's also an IGA supermarket next door. Breakfast was fantastic, with a choice of fruits, juice, hot cooked meals and sweets. The restaurant downstairs was really good and convenient. Staff were friendly and helpful. I highly recommend Peppers. The one thing we found was that we didnt use the pool, as it wasnt heated and was too cold.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hskhsk
Good to see you got out and about during your stay.

Thank you for your kind review and we would love to welcome you back again sometime soon, You commented on our tropical breakfast. this is now a complimentary inclusion to all guests staying with us. The pool is a little cool in winter however very refreshing in the summer months, I am in the process of sourcing quotes to have the smaller infinity pool at the front of the resort heated so thank you again for your comment as this adds to my pending debate.

Please feel free to contact us directly should you choose to visit us again and we will be sure to look after you again.

Ballan, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at Peppers after gettting an exceptional good nightly rate via a credit card affiliate program and for the price we paid we were happy with the stay but this is certainly no 5 star resort.

The good:
Close to ferry and bus stops so very easy to get around.
Room size (deluxe room) was excellent but poorly laid out, bathroom large with exceptionally nice deep bath.
Beautifully large doors opening onto the balconey which over looked the marina.
Cooking facilicities in the room were adequate if needed but did need a good clean.
Attentive reception staff - arrange to have 4-5 light globes replaced and movie channel fixed same day we alerted them.
Lovely position of resturant overlooking the ferry terminal and marina, food in the restaurant was very good.
Lovely balconey and chairs for enjoying the view and the weather.
Boardwalk lovely short cut to Nelly Bay shops.

The disappointing:
Soft furnishings - all worse for wear with red wine stains on couch (no cleaning had been attempted on this, just left where it fell) and blue chair really grubbing on arms and head area.
Bed was double size I think and not very comfortable made up with only 3 pillows (and no spare). Only one blanket provided and bed made up with sheets only.
The blue strip of material across the end looked like it had been dried in a dryer and the blue wool side had shrunk leaving it looking worse for wear. Towels not very thick or soft, standard I've come to expect in 3 star asian hotel rooms not a 5 star Mantra property.

A full size fridge was placed btwn the table and couch and armchair which meant you couldn't access most of one side of the table. A small bar fridge was in the cupboard section but obviously added afterward as it was smaller than the opening. The large fridge was a bit dented and scratched but unfortunately the inside needed some attention - a good clean and freezer seal had mould on it.

Carpets: There were 2 or 3 large foot (boot) prints, one particularly black one, on the carpet in the doorway, which didn't look like there had been any attempt to clean them.

Crockery etc: The cutlery was grubby from not being washed properly and there was a mismatch of glasses, cups etc with on 3 cups and bowls but 4 of other things.

Wicker furniture table on the balcony was splitting all round the top.

On arrival there were 4-5 lights not working but these were fixed once reception notified.

TV reception was poor, unable to watch ABC and we were surprised there was no digital stations. There was surround sound equipment but it wasn't working and didn't seemed to be hooked up. Movie channel not working on first day but was fixed the next.

Restaurant: We (like other reviewers) went down to the restaurant to have a cocktail before dinner at 6pm only to be told the earliest booking was 7:30pm. We had a drink, returned to our room and came back at 7:30 to find the restaurant less than half full. We did wonder if it was a staffing issue rather than being full and they were trying to spread the load on the chef.
Breakfast was certainly not the standard we've experienced in other 5* hotels.
The other thing I did notice was the lack of shade around an amazing pool.

We did discuss our disappointment with standard of the room furnishings and cleanliness with a very nice member of reception who indicated there were new managers and staff trying to improve things. Unless the hotel wants to continue with reviews like this they really need to inject some money into refurnishing and cleaning the rooms properly.
Also I'm not sure if some rooms are better than others given the mixed reviews on here.

On a final note I did really enjoy the time on Maggie and again given we had not paid the full room price I could live with the state of the room but I would have been bitterly disappointed if I had paid double what we did and got that room!!
I would love to hear that the place has been cleaned up and re furnished and I'd stay again but not in it's current state unfortunately.

Room Tip: Speak to the staff at the hotel about rooms first.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wendy K
Thank you for your review, and also the photos,

We are currently in the process of cleaning and replacing soft furnishing in the resort. This room however does have a rather large fridge in an awkward location. The owner of this room insists it is more convenient for guests staying for longer periods of time and do not wish to outlay the cost of an apartment containing a full kitchen.

Our beautiful boardwalk restaurant is a 140seat restaurant usually divided by permanent bamboo fixtures to separate out the breakfast areas and the dining room. however these rooms have the capability of all opening up as one large dining room for special events and weddings, Unfortunately when these screens do not return after a large function it gives the impression of a half empty restaurant.

Thank you for bringing to our attention your disappointment with breakfast, we provide this complimentary now to all guests booking direct or through our proffered agents and need to ensure we get it right for everyone. it is now a fully cooked tropical breakfast with all the hot favorites also including toast, cereals, tea, coffee, juices fresh fruits etc.... if you have some suggestions on how we can improve I would love to hear them.

I do apologise again that our room did not meet your standard and if you do decide to return please let me know and I would be more than happy to go through some alternate room types.

Also I failed to mention since your visit we have had shade sails and large umbrellas installed around the pool areas for shade.

Kind regards

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at Peppers Blue in June 2011! We arrived to a warm reception, extremely helpful staff and a fabulous room! It was spacious, very clean and had amazing views of the pool & sea. We enjoyed cocktails in the bar and had lovely dinner in the restaurant (which had good options for vegetarians). We can also recommend the 'big boy' chips with green tomato relish - delicious! I wish we could have stayed longer and will definitely return!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
We look forward to your return,

The Big boy fries are one of my families favorites also. Thank you for your kind review and should you wish to return please feel free to contact me directly.