“Well below Peppers standard”

Peppers Blue On Blue Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Magnetic Island
Bundaberg, Australia
“Well below Peppers standard”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

As previous guests of various Peppers Resorts, Blue On Blue fell very short of our expectations.

The resort does not have lifts and seven flights of stairs to get from the car park to the room is far from ideal for a family - both for unloading/loading luggage, but also for day-to-day ease in getting both the children and pram up and down the stairs. We requested a ground floor 2-bed unit but were informed they only manage two and neither were available. Make sure you request this in advance if you are travelling with little ones.

Of more concern for us was the standard of the room with which we were extremely disappointed in for both its cleanliness and facilities.
- Within 30mins of walking around the suite barefoot our feet were black.
- Both the couch and outdoor cushions were noticeably stained.
- The air conditioning did not work.
- The shower head in the bathroom was obviously clogged as water was not free-flowing from it.
- The room did not contain a room service nor spa brochure.
- It was disappointing to find that there was no children's television on offer - neither ABC Kids or Nickelodeon.

Lastly, the buffet breakfast menu did not change at all over our 7 day stay. One morning we asked for poached eggs instead of scrambled (as the wait staff had indicated this was possible) and by the look on the chefs face it was clear this was not something he was happy being asked for!

We initially chose Peppers many years ago based on feedback from family friends and subsequently using Trip Advisor. As a result, we have stayed at many of the Resorts in the chain and have always found them to be a 'safe' choice for our family holiday. The size of the rooms, quality of the facilities, and staff service have always made for an enjoyable holiday. Unfortunately this holiday presented too many issues for us to confidently choose Peppers again in the future, let alone recommend it.

I have also emailed feedback on our stay to the resort directly and one week on I have not received any reply. This combined with the fact that while we were there we mentioned our dissatisfaction on numerous occasions to hotel staff and nothing was done about it for us indicates a clear lack of care and consideration for paying guests.

3 Thank KatieM4670
blueonblue_gm, General Manager at Peppers Blue On Blue Resort, responded to this review, 6 October 2011
I must say I am very disheartened at reading your review. I don't wish to make any excuses for the details as described. I can only profusely apologise for your holiday experience. It is certainly nothing that I feel very proud of, as I am sure our staff members feel the same.

I personally was not the Manager at this time as I am only a relief manager currently. Once again, not that I want to make this as an excuse. There certainly is no excuse.

By all accounts you have done the right thing by bringing any dissatisfaction to the attention of staff members. I would expect any matters to be rectified professionally and promptly. Please be rest assured that this is not a reflection of all 'Peppers' properties. I do feel that it has been an isolated case and we are doing our utmost to ensure that this never happens again.

We do take these matters very seriously and sincerely appreciate your time in writing the review and giving us the feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

We were looking forward to our holiday at Magnetic Island earlier this year especially since we were booked to stay at Peppers Blue on Blue - Boy were we in for a surprise!
The staff there didn't really seem interested and were not the most friendliest people I had ever met. The resturant was rather ordinary and the food very poor standard. At breakfast when I went to get a cup of tea there were a number of cracked cups and most were dirty. I did take some of these up to the staff and mentioned there were others that needed washing but their response was very bliase.
Whilst the room was very nice the cleaners didn't replace any soap, shampoo or conditioner when they were empty and just left the empty bottles lying around in the shower. (hope they have more pride in their own home).

In the end we cut our stay short by 3 days and went over to the mainland. This is rather annoying to me as it was such a waste of money and was more expensive as we had to outlay more money for accomodation. This is one place that I would never recommend to anyone and everyone I have talked to since getting back home was so surprised to hear this as Peppers is supposed to be of an extremely high standard - unfortunately this is not correct for the resort on Magnetic Island.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Jenni R
blueonblue_gm, General Manager at Peppers Blue On Blue Resort, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
It's a bitter pill to swallow - but thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. It's never nice having to read a review such as yours, as I am sure it wasn't very nice for you to experience and then write about later.

My sincere apologies. I can't make any excuses for what I have read in the review - it seems for your stay we may have 'dropped the ball'. I am currently the relief manager and can only assure you that we are moving forward.

We have already implemented a few changes that I think would be relevant to some of the feedback you have given us, so - thank you.

If you ever do decide to give us another chance, please contact us directly so that we may have the opportunity to rectify our short-comings.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

We spent two nights in a one-bedroom apartment at Peppers Blue on Blue in September 2011. We originally booked seven nights, but (after reading better reviews and a lower price) decided that we'd prefer to change to Grand Mercure Apartments. We were unable to cancel our Peppers booking without losing the $200 deposit, so decided to do 2 nights at Peppers and 5 nights at Grand Mercure. I'm so glad we did!

Overall the resort is lovely. Very well maintained, lovely brand new apartments, massive swimming pool, harbour setting. However, when compared directly with Grand Mecure, it was much poorer value for money (both resorts are RIGHT on the ferry at Nelly Bay, Peppers is to the left as you come out, Grand Mercure to the right).

Here is a list of our complaints:
We paid $280 per night for a one-bedroom apartment (including breakfast buffet). However, our room overlooked the ferry car park (it is marketed as "mountain view" - but be warned!). The resort was very quiet when we visited, so we told the staff that we would like to move to an apartment with a water view. However, they said that they would only do this by charging us for an upgrade. Considering they were pretty much empty, i would have thought they would have upgraded us for free.
Kitchen - very poorly equiped. No dishwasher or oven. A small microwave and two-stoves. Minimal crockery (only one mug) and cutlery.
Shower - terrible nozzle, had a very fine spray all over the shower area but not directly on the person showering
Staff - we were walked in on by staff THREE times. Twice, they simply opened the door without knocking and came in (to restock the mini bar etc). The third time, we had the privacy setting on the door (we were all napping), and the staff knocked on the door. Privacy means DO NOT DISTURB. But we were all woken up. We complained to the reception, but they didn't seem to think it was a major problem, but advised they would "re-educate" the staff involved.
Swimming Pool - freezing cold, despite 27 degree days. I did not go in. My hubby and toddler went in for 5 mins, but both were very cold. Looks lovely, but not so appealing in September.

I have stayed at three other Peppers properties and been very happy, but sadly i won't simply be booking based on the peppers name next time...

Check out my review on Grand Mercure Apartments for a direct comparison!

4 Thank Rachel C
New Plymouth, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Went in Sept 2011 for 8 nights. We took my parents aged in their 80s who thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Thankful that the apartment was on the groundfloor because lots of higher floors didn't have lifts so check that out if you're lugging lots of luggage, children etc.Booked through Best of Magnetic. 4 years old 3 bedroomed ground floor apartment. Exactly as seen on the website. Opposite the ferry landing. Met by BOM staff member Pam who took us to the local grog shop as we didn't have a car. She also suggested not to leave eating at night too late as they close early. Supermarket and 1 cafe right next door. Others within walking distance or catch the bus. Very helpful reception staff. Lovely spacious clean apartment with everything you need. Lots of towels and beach towels. Own entrance to the beautiful pool. It's not heated so was a bit of a shock but the weather was fantastic so was nice to cool down. When you're overweight it was nice to slip into the pool without having to walk past others. Great to have outdoor areas on both sides of the apartment. We had breakfast on the pool side and drinks and dinner on the marina side. Had our own gas BBQ.
Would go again. PS There isn't much shopping so girls don't go expecting to spend up large on clothes etc. Little Moke topless, sideless cars are a ball. Even got the parents into the back of one.

Room Tip: Groundfloor if you have lots of luggage and children with their accessories.
1 Thank debraburton
Wow - what a great review! Sounds like you had a perfect family holiday. It's a great read. Also love your advice on requesting ground floor if the stairs are going to be an issue. We love requests as it lets us know your needs and priorities - otherwise it's a bit of a guessing game.
We hope to see you back again soon.
australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Lovely place and good value for money when you include the delicious breakfast -congratulations to the chef on the scrambled egg which despite being in a buffet was perfect rather the usual congealed mess you get in hotels. Pristine pools and pleasant rooms (although our sofa was somewhat stained).

The negatives come from the service - we'd requested twin beds - didn't happen. By the large lagoon pool I watched the gardener machine blow the grass he had removed from the path straight into the pool - creating a slick of twigs and grass. By the other pool there was an empty lager can and a napkin floating in there. On returning to our room the electronic key card had been deactivated so we had to go to reception - turned back on but no apology.

Great shame there isn't more attention to detail to prevent these things from happening as it's a beautiful resort in a perfect location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank girlwizz
A good breakfast is a great way to start the day - I do personally love our big breakfast too. It helps to line you up nicely for a day full of lovely island attractions.

I am sorry to hear about some unfortunate mishaps during your stay. I agree a little more attention to detail and we can greatly improve. Your comments are very welcomed and will be worked on (hopefully for your next visit?). If ever you choose to return please do not hesitate to let us know when things aren't quite right. We would appreciate an opportunity to make amends.
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

This would have to be the best holiday ever!!!

We stayed at Peppers Blue a couple of weeks with friends, the lagoon pool is amazing, plentay of sun beds and even a great BBQ area which is very convenient considering the resort is right next to the local IGA.

All the staff were fantastic! the General manager helped us up the stairs when we arrived and a lovely housekeeper Sally stopped and asked if we need help on the way down two days later. The girls in reception were always so helpful, one in particular was Tracey, the most friendly lady i have come across.

we had our free breakfast both days. i cant believe this was part of our stay as it was a huge cooked buffet.

we will definately be back!

Room Tip: pay the extra for a view of the boats
1 Thank Lindi H
So glad you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for the great review. It's great to know when we are getting it right just as much as when we aren't quite hitting the mark. We are always open for improvement in any way, shape or form. Your review is a nice boost in the right direction for all of us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
southport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

My partner and I and 15 year old daughter spent 3 nights here in august 2011.
We originally booked for 2 nights but enjoyed it so much stayed for an extra night.
The room was fabulous. Very modern and all facilities provided,eg, wading machine, dryer, dishwasher.
The pool was simply gorgeous, but cold!! Very quiet around pool area which was great. BBQ provided for our use which was a great touch.
There is free Internet access in the lobby, but only one and you do have to wait around at times to access it.
The ferry terminal is over the road, as is the bus stop, making it very handy.
I was a little disappointed with the staff at the hotel. No warm greeting,very business like. The staff in the restaurant were a little wanting too. Not as attentive as I would expect. We waited 30 minutes one night for 3 drinks to be delivered to the table! Having said Thayer were then given them for free but was enough to put us off returning.
A word of advice....book your restaurant, one night we didn,t and could,t eat as everywhere was closed!! It was eight thirty!! If they know you are coming they do stay open though!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sarahlivSouthport
Thank you for submitting your review. We can only improve if we are aware of our weaknesses. I appreciate your time taken to let us know of your experience with our customer service. Your comments have been taken 'on board' and we look forward to providing better service all round for all of our guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magnetic Island
#3 of 5 in Magnetic Island
Arcadia Beach Guest House
Arcadia Beach Guest House
#2 of 7 in Magnetic Island

Been to Peppers Blue On Blue Resort? Share your experiences!