“Ordinary”

Peppers Blue On Blue Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Magnetic Island
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Stayed at Peppers for 7 nights in a 3 bedroom apartment with plunge pool. Only read these reviews after I had booked but before we stayed. Given the mixed nature of the reviews I was pretty wary. Unfortunately it turns out that I was pretty underwhelmed by the service and the resort. To list:

1. No porters to assist with luggage on arrival/departure. Staff seemed relatively disinterested - but that might be just a subjective impression on my part.
2. Room service menu very limited - ordered it a few times (reluctantly) due to preferring not to cook. The $5 "delivery charge' for room service is a world first for me (this made me disinclined to tip the staff). What is worse is the little card that asks the guest to call back when they want their plates collected. Another world first. After not making this call a couple of times, we would wake to find our plates outside our door from last night's dinner - and staying there until late afternoon. On the 3rd time, we did make the call to collect (when we noticed the card). Unfortunately the plates were still there the next morning. Just a bad look for a resort.
3. The 2% credit card surcharge that appears on everything is a bad idea. Here is a tip - raise your prices by 2%. It bothers people less.
4. Resort appears to be in pretty poor condition. Peeling paint in a number of areas (wall near the pool especially).
5. The non-heated pools were not too much of a problem as we had great weather, but you would want to be careful if you were travelling there in cooler months than October (when we were there).
6. Towels are changed every day but the rooms are only cleaned on every 3rd day!? We had a do not disturb sign on on the day that must have been our designated cleaning day, so on our 5th day I had to request a clean... Really?
7. Our own pool was not maintained/checked during our stay.
8. The breakfast buffet (included) is pretty limited. Toast, cereals and exactly one sort of eggs (scrambled) every day. But a great location overlooking the marina.
9. One of our bedrooms (not the master) had a sliding door which could not be double locked, ie. all my 5 year old boy needed to do was flick a door snib and he could have been outside. Would be better if these doors could be secured with a double lock or external lock.
10. Might be an idea to get some service training into your staff. Example: we were there for 7 nights - not once (even on departure) were we asked about how our stay was going. Not a big thing but to me, it gives the impression that the staff don't give a hoot about the guests.

Have stayed a number of times at other Peppers resorts (particularly Palm Cove) and this booking was made as much on our experiences there than anything else. Unfortunately the Magnetic Island version seems to be a very poor cousin to other Peppers resorts. For a peak time of the year (Victorian school holidays) the resort seemed pretty empty so can only guess that people are talking with their feet by not turning up.

Good location and $400 a night doesn't exactly entitle me to the Taj Mahal - but I expected better and based on other Peppers resorts, I was very disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Marcus O

Reviewed 9 October 2011

Very comfortable hotel with great facilities. Ok as others have noted our room was not exactly spotless either, but on a relaxing island holiday who cares about a few minor stains on the carpet and lounge? They were certainly clean enough.

Our original booking had not been sent through by Virgin Blue Holidays (for either the hotel or the ferry transfers) but the hotel staff managed to find us a room and they sorted that out with V Blue directly (as did the ferry staff). I must say they were very friendly and helpful, and offered us drink vouchers as some compensation even though it was not their fault.

Great central location a couple of minutes walk from the ferry terminal and IGA supermarket, topless car rental etc. Very quiet (unit on the harbour side). Excellent ultra large swimming pool (not too cold in October as others have suggested) with very clean fresh water (no chlorine smell either).

Boardwalk restaurant breakfast buffet also excellent - best quality hot food in a breakky buffet I have ever found. You could order special cooked eggs etc but no need to. Dinner was also great and a free wine voucher made it excellent value.

We hired a 4wd vehicle but really for the few places you cannot reach in a conventional car, the topless cars are probably ideal. Plenty of nice beaches and scenery, good pubs and restaurants in each of the 4 main "built up" areas around the island. Did not notice any flies or mosquitos. The Koala Sanctuary guided tour was a little cheesy but very informative and quite a good way to spend a couple of hours

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms have no passing traffic and are absolutely peaceful at night
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JSX
Reviewed 7 October 2011

After reading the last couple of reviews on trip advisor I was concerned about the trip we had booked to celebrate my partners birthday. But I must say I was highly impressed with the facilities and the service we experienced.

We booked a 1 bedroom apartment that came with a "mountain view" & although this looked out towards the ferry terminal and car park -because we had a room on the third floor we still had beautiful views of the marina.

Our room was clean & modern and we made good use of the massive lagoon pool which extends right through the resort and overlooks the marina.

We dined in the restaurant on more than one occasion and although the restaurant appeared quite busy, we both commented on how great a job the staff where doing. We were given half price cocktail vouchers when we arrived, which made dining on there gorgeous deck area even more enjoyable!

Reception staff we're very accommodating, they even offered us a late check out on our last day because we had a late flight to return to Melbourne.

All in all - a great stay! We will be returning to escape the Melbourne weather again next year

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank Muffet82
Reviewed 4 October 2011

As previous guests of various Peppers Resorts, Blue On Blue fell very short of our expectations.

The resort does not have lifts and seven flights of stairs to get from the car park to the room is far from ideal for a family - both for unloading/loading luggage, but also for day-to-day ease in getting both the children and pram up and down the stairs. We requested a ground floor 2-bed unit but were informed they only manage two and neither were available. Make sure you request this in advance if you are travelling with little ones.

Of more concern for us was the standard of the room with which we were extremely disappointed in for both its cleanliness and facilities.
- Within 30mins of walking around the suite barefoot our feet were black.
- Both the couch and outdoor cushions were noticeably stained.
- The air conditioning did not work.
- The shower head in the bathroom was obviously clogged as water was not free-flowing from it.
- The room did not contain a room service nor spa brochure.
- It was disappointing to find that there was no children's television on offer - neither ABC Kids or Nickelodeon.

Lastly, the buffet breakfast menu did not change at all over our 7 day stay. One morning we asked for poached eggs instead of scrambled (as the wait staff had indicated this was possible) and by the look on the chefs face it was clear this was not something he was happy being asked for!

We initially chose Peppers many years ago based on feedback from family friends and subsequently using Trip Advisor. As a result, we have stayed at many of the Resorts in the chain and have always found them to be a 'safe' choice for our family holiday. The size of the rooms, quality of the facilities, and staff service have always made for an enjoyable holiday. Unfortunately this holiday presented too many issues for us to confidently choose Peppers again in the future, let alone recommend it.

I have also emailed feedback on our stay to the resort directly and one week on I have not received any reply. This combined with the fact that while we were there we mentioned our dissatisfaction on numerous occasions to hotel staff and nothing was done about it for us indicates a clear lack of care and consideration for paying guests.

3  Thank KatieM4670
blueonblue_gm, General Manager at Peppers Blue On Blue Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2011

I must say I am very disheartened at reading your review. I don't wish to make any excuses for the details as described. I can only profusely apologise for your holiday experience. It is certainly nothing that I feel very proud of, as I am sure our staff members feel the same.

I personally was not the Manager at this time as I am only a relief manager currently. Once again, not that I want to make this as an excuse. There certainly is no excuse.

By all accounts you have done the right thing by bringing any dissatisfaction to the attention of staff members. I would expect any matters to be rectified professionally and promptly. Please be rest assured that this is not a reflection of all 'Peppers' properties. I do feel that it has been an isolated case and we are doing our utmost to ensure that this never happens again.

We do take these matters very seriously and sincerely appreciate your time in writing the review and giving us the feedback.

Reviewed 27 September 2011

We were looking forward to our holiday at Magnetic Island earlier this year especially since we were booked to stay at Peppers Blue on Blue - Boy were we in for a surprise!
The staff there didn't really seem interested and were not the most friendliest people I had ever met. The resturant was rather ordinary and the food very poor standard. At breakfast when I went to get a cup of tea there were a number of cracked cups and most were dirty. I did take some of these up to the staff and mentioned there were others that needed washing but their response was very bliase.
Whilst the room was very nice the cleaners didn't replace any soap, shampoo or conditioner when they were empty and just left the empty bottles lying around in the shower. (hope they have more pride in their own home).

In the end we cut our stay short by 3 days and went over to the mainland. This is rather annoying to me as it was such a waste of money and was more expensive as we had to outlay more money for accomodation. This is one place that I would never recommend to anyone and everyone I have talked to since getting back home was so surprised to hear this as Peppers is supposed to be of an extremely high standard - unfortunately this is not correct for the resort on Magnetic Island.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Jenni R
blueonblue_gm, General Manager at Peppers Blue On Blue Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2011

It's a bitter pill to swallow - but thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. It's never nice having to read a review such as yours, as I am sure it wasn't very nice for you to experience and then write about later.

My sincere apologies. I can't make any excuses for what I have read in the review - it seems for your stay we may have 'dropped the ball'. I am currently the relief manager and can only assure you that we are moving forward.

We have already implemented a few changes that I think would be relevant to some of the feedback you have given us, so - thank you.

If you ever do decide to give us another chance, please contact us directly so that we may have the opportunity to rectify our short-comings.

Reviewed 24 September 2011

We spent two nights in a one-bedroom apartment at Peppers Blue on Blue in September 2011. We originally booked seven nights, but (after reading better reviews and a lower price) decided that we'd prefer to change to Grand Mercure Apartments. We were unable to cancel our Peppers booking without losing the $200 deposit, so decided to do 2 nights at Peppers and 5 nights at Grand Mercure. I'm so glad we did!

Overall the resort is lovely. Very well maintained, lovely brand new apartments, massive swimming pool, harbour setting. However, when compared directly with Grand Mecure, it was much poorer value for money (both resorts are RIGHT on the ferry at Nelly Bay, Peppers is to the left as you come out, Grand Mercure to the right).

Here is a list of our complaints:
We paid $280 per night for a one-bedroom apartment (including breakfast buffet). However, our room overlooked the ferry car park (it is marketed as "mountain view" - but be warned!). The resort was very quiet when we visited, so we told the staff that we would like to move to an apartment with a water view. However, they said that they would only do this by charging us for an upgrade. Considering they were pretty much empty, i would have thought they would have upgraded us for free.
Kitchen - very poorly equiped. No dishwasher or oven. A small microwave and two-stoves. Minimal crockery (only one mug) and cutlery.
Shower - terrible nozzle, had a very fine spray all over the shower area but not directly on the person showering
Staff - we were walked in on by staff THREE times. Twice, they simply opened the door without knocking and came in (to restock the mini bar etc). The third time, we had the privacy setting on the door (we were all napping), and the staff knocked on the door. Privacy means DO NOT DISTURB. But we were all woken up. We complained to the reception, but they didn't seem to think it was a major problem, but advised they would "re-educate" the staff involved.
Swimming Pool - freezing cold, despite 27 degree days. I did not go in. My hubby and toddler went in for 5 mins, but both were very cold. Looks lovely, but not so appealing in September.

I have stayed at three other Peppers properties and been very happy, but sadly i won't simply be booking based on the peppers name next time...

Check out my review on Grand Mercure Apartments for a direct comparison!

4  Thank Rachel C
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Went in Sept 2011 for 8 nights. We took my parents aged in their 80s who thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Thankful that the apartment was on the groundfloor because lots of higher floors didn't have lifts so check that out if you're lugging lots of luggage, children etc.Booked through Best of Magnetic. 4 years old 3 bedroomed ground floor apartment. Exactly as seen on the website. Opposite the ferry landing. Met by BOM staff member Pam who took us to the local grog shop as we didn't have a car. She also suggested not to leave eating at night too late as they close early. Supermarket and 1 cafe right next door. Others within walking distance or catch the bus. Very helpful reception staff. Lovely spacious clean apartment with everything you need. Lots of towels and beach towels. Own entrance to the beautiful pool. It's not heated so was a bit of a shock but the weather was fantastic so was nice to cool down. When you're overweight it was nice to slip into the pool without having to walk past others. Great to have outdoor areas on both sides of the apartment. We had breakfast on the pool side and drinks and dinner on the marina side. Had our own gas BBQ.
Would go again. PS There isn't much shopping so girls don't go expecting to spend up large on clothes etc. Little Moke topless, sideless cars are a ball. Even got the parents into the back of one.

Room Tip: Groundfloor if you have lots of luggage and children with their accessories.
1  Thank debraburton

Wow - what a great review! Sounds like you had a perfect family holiday. It's a great read. Also love your advice on requesting ground floor if the stairs are going to be an issue. We love requests as it lets us know your needs and priorities - otherwise it's a bit of a guessing game.
We hope to see you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Magnetic Island
#3 of 5 in Magnetic Island
Arcadia Beach Guest House
Arcadia Beach Guest House
#2 of 7 in Magnetic Island

Been to Peppers Blue On Blue Resort? Share your experiences!