Stayed at Peppers for 7 nights in a 3 bedroom apartment with plunge pool. Only read these reviews after I had booked but before we stayed. Given the mixed nature of the reviews I was pretty wary. Unfortunately it turns out that I was pretty underwhelmed by the service and the resort. To list:
1. No porters to assist with luggage on arrival/departure. Staff seemed relatively disinterested - but that might be just a subjective impression on my part.
2. Room service menu very limited - ordered it a few times (reluctantly) due to preferring not to cook. The $5 "delivery charge' for room service is a world first for me (this made me disinclined to tip the staff). What is worse is the little card that asks the guest to call back when they want their plates collected. Another world first. After not making this call a couple of times, we would wake to find our plates outside our door from last night's dinner - and staying there until late afternoon. On the 3rd time, we did make the call to collect (when we noticed the card). Unfortunately the plates were still there the next morning. Just a bad look for a resort.
3. The 2% credit card surcharge that appears on everything is a bad idea. Here is a tip - raise your prices by 2%. It bothers people less.
4. Resort appears to be in pretty poor condition. Peeling paint in a number of areas (wall near the pool especially).
5. The non-heated pools were not too much of a problem as we had great weather, but you would want to be careful if you were travelling there in cooler months than October (when we were there).
6. Towels are changed every day but the rooms are only cleaned on every 3rd day!? We had a do not disturb sign on on the day that must have been our designated cleaning day, so on our 5th day I had to request a clean... Really?
7. Our own pool was not maintained/checked during our stay.
8. The breakfast buffet (included) is pretty limited. Toast, cereals and exactly one sort of eggs (scrambled) every day. But a great location overlooking the marina.
9. One of our bedrooms (not the master) had a sliding door which could not be double locked, ie. all my 5 year old boy needed to do was flick a door snib and he could have been outside. Would be better if these doors could be secured with a double lock or external lock.
10. Might be an idea to get some service training into your staff. Example: we were there for 7 nights - not once (even on departure) were we asked about how our stay was going. Not a big thing but to me, it gives the impression that the staff don't give a hoot about the guests.
Have stayed a number of times at other Peppers resorts (particularly Palm Cove) and this booking was made as much on our experiences there than anything else. Unfortunately the Magnetic Island version seems to be a very poor cousin to other Peppers resorts. For a peak time of the year (Victorian school holidays) the resort seemed pretty empty so can only guess that people are talking with their feet by not turning up.
Good location and $400 a night doesn't exactly entitle me to the Taj Mahal - but I expected better and based on other Peppers resorts, I was very disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Peppers Blue on Blue Resort offers luxury accommodation overlooking the Magnetic Island marina and ferry terminal. Peppers Blue on Blue offers guest rooms including resort style suites and one, two and three bedroom apartments. Fully embracing its waterfront location, the resort's sleekly decorated suites boast sun drenched balconies with some featuring private plunge pools. All rooms feature free WIFI (up to 500MB), free movies, air conditioning, balcony, bathrobes, flat screen TV, CD/DVD player, surround sound system, daily housekeeping service, laundry facilities, bath, mini bar, room service and movies on demand. All apartments excluding standard Hotel and Studio Rooms include a kitchen or kitchenette. outdoors and take part in the abundant leisure activities available. For those who just want to relax, visit the endota spa. Onsite is the Boardwalk Restaurant & Bar, a gourmets paradise which offers the freshest tropical menu and fine wine selection. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, TravelUp, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Peppers Blue On Blue Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peppers Blue On Blue Hotel Magnetic Island
- Peppers Blue On Hotel
- Peppers Blue On Resort