“Lyon King”

Spring Creek Mountain Cafe and Cottages
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Killarney
“Lyon King”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I had been longing to find a free weekend when I could visit the well recommended Spring Creek Cottages. Thankfully the day arrived and I was like an eager child peering out the car windows whilst travelling through the winding range, finally atop the range we enter Spring Creek Cafe and Cottages and I am amazed with the picturesque view. At this moment I can't wait to see where we would be staying, politely directed to our Blue Wren Cottage I was blown away, I didn't need to go any further I was in heaven. Of course the urge to eat became overwhelming as I had heard that this was also a gastronomic delight, so we headed back down to the cafe. Beverley and staff presented a meal worthy of any fancy Brisbane Restaurant if not better with the local produce. Retiring for the evening I wondered if breakfast was going to be a standout? It was! Those croissaints OH My God. Just as well there was the Queen Mary Falls for exercise. Thanks Bev a truly lovely place and we'll be back with our friends.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julie K

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I can not put into words how amazing my experience here was. Food was superb, the staff were friendly and knowledgeable. Nothing was too much trouble. I didn't want to go home!!!! I will definitely be going back!!!!!

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Sara V
Reviewed 7 February 2011

My mum, sister and I stayed for three nights in the 'King Parrot', two bedroom cottage. We were in need of a rest and this was a the perfect place. The cottage was immaculately clean and very comfortable. The views are breathtaking and we spent much time getting 'sensory overload'. The food is incredible- our only mistake was taking our own food- don't- allow Bev to cook for you as she makes the most fantastic meals! Everything about Spring Creek Mountain Cafe and Cottages is superb. But, most of all the staff are wonderful- Bev, Jacki, James and co. were outstanding hosts- nothing was too much bother. I am already planning return visits (with my husband, husband and children, and girlfriends). A wonderful place!

Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MegGibbo
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Our visit coincided with the terrible rains and floods that covered many parts of Queensland however for the area where the cottages are this meant the numerous waterfalls were even more spectacular than normal. After the the first couple of days the mist and clouds lifted to reveal the amazing views from your cottage.
Food!! The only way I can describe this is "Total Satisfaction" at every meal.
Bev and her "Bevettes" are great people who ensure your stay is memorable.
Will we return, absolutely. This is a seriously great place in a relaxing location.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AldonaScotty
Reviewed 15 July 2010

My partner and I stayed here for two nights recently. Our cabin was cosy, comfortable and clean and made the most of the stunning views over the Gorge. Don’t bother cooking for yourself here - the food here is superb and well priced and the staff made us feel as if nothing was too much trouble. Nearby Queen Mary Falls are worth a look, and the pretty drive through the gorge, with its many river crossings is open to 4WD vehicles in dry weather, but once you settle in here you may not want to travel very far. We were sad to leave at all.
Please note - there is no mobile phone service here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gonefishingagain
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Our family of 6 adults stayed here for a weekend to celebrate a birthday. After a very scenic drive throigh Boonah and up through the hills were met with the friendliest greeting and taken to our cabins. They were spotless with amazing views, the softest towels and were spacious. All cabins (3 in total) have a small fridge and two hot plates and microwave so you can self cater but as we had the romantic package we had dinner and breakfast included. There is a fire in each of the cabins with wood, matches and fire starters provided.

The food at the restuarant is fantastic. Big servings, all fresh and well presented. The staff are all very attentive and helpful.

There are some nice walks near by and the area is great for a days drive.

Would come back again for sure.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank gossey
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Our family stayed at the 2-bedroom King Parrot cottage for 2 nights in June. The cottage was very comfortably furnished for our family of 5. As previously mentioned, there were lots of large windows, letting in the beautiful views from outside. Everything was thoughtfully designed. There was no heater, and it was quite cold when we were there. But we were given plenty of extra blankets in the closet, the beds had electric blankets and the bathroom had a heating lamp. Our teenage sons enjoyed building a fire each night in the living room fireplace with real logs. There was also a well-equipped kitchen, handy for longer stays.

The food was just outstanding. We had all our breakfasts and dinners at the Cafe. The presentation and quality of food was consistently excellent and way above 'basic'. Portions were generous. There was also quite a nice variety, including an impressively tasty Indian curry, complete with papadums! As with everything else, there was no compromise to quality.

Service was no different. Other than Bev the owner/manager/chef, we met 2 other ladies who were our table waitresses. Both were equally friendly and enthusiastic. One rainy night when I could not go to the restaurant and had to stay in the cottage because my 2-year-old fell asleep early, my dinner, all wrapped and carefully packaged, was hand-delivered to my room by one of these ladies, walking with an umbrella through all the rain.

The setting was truly beautiful, just as stunning as the pictures on their website. Our little daughter was thrilled by the wild kangaroos, parrots, kookaburras, and many cows that we could see from our bedroom windows. The surrounding area offers plenty of scenic drives and walks. For those quiet nights, Bev's great collection of DVD's was yet another treat.

All in all, it was that rare combination of high-quality accommodation with great food in a beautiful setting. Bev has created a truly special mountain retreat.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank travelmomABC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killarney
Abbey of the Roses
The Bunyip Scenic Rim Resort
Cherrabah Resort
Cherrabah Resort
#1 of 1 in Elbow Valley

Been to Spring Creek Mountain Cafe and Cottages? Share your experiences!