“Best Crape Ever!!!!!!!!!”

Price range: US$4 - US$17
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Maleny Food Co. story began in 2001 when it was first founded as Colin James Fine Foods, opening on Maple St, Maleny. Starting out as a café and fromagerie, our gelato and sorbet was made daily on site in traditional artisan style. As word spread and the awards began to accumulate, our name became synonymous with ‘truly amazing’ gelato. Since those early days we have continued to expand our operations, using artisan techniques in our purpose-built manufacturing facility in Maleny, Queensland, and our products can now be found in a growing number of restaurants, gelato shops, boutique grocers and cafes. We now welcome a new chapter in our story, and while our name has changed, our values and the quality of our award winning gelato and sorbet remain the same. Our vision is to create an integrated business of food manufacturing, food retailing and food tourism, built on a strong connection to the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. We are passionate about showcasing Maleny, the surrounding region, its people, produce and stories. We invite you to visit us at our store in Maple Street, Maleny, to experience our walk-in fromagerie, select from our range of local produce, enjoy a coffee, or the deli-style dining and of course, try our delicious gelato and sorbet.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We when here because Maleny shuts down early and when I say early what I mean is 3:00pm. But not Colin James and boy was I happy they didn't. It was a great late lunch and ice cream. One of the best crapes we have ever tasted. The Ice Cream is VERY GOOD TOO!!!!

1  Thank Amy W

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Great coffee and food. It is always busy, serving morning and afternoon tea and lunch. The ice cream is the best in Australia and always a queue! The great treat for me is the Fromagerie. Packed with cheeses from around the world, also including some exciting Tasmanian cheeses. There is fresh Stilton and wonderful French.... It is amazing the collection of cheeses is wonderful and we are lucky to have it in Maleny. The Fromagerie is in a cold room, which you enter to be served. by especially trained staff. If you are travelling and wish to have that special cheese and wine picnic, you can buy your cheeses and they sell knives and gourmet crackerthins to go with. There are dips and olives also to drool over. A must to visit in Maleny, Queensland.

2  Thank Lindmarg
Reviewed 29 May 2014

A climate-controlled cool-room-walk-in-Fromagerie with a fabulous range of Australian and Imported cheeses ; a superb Gelaterie with home made product ; brilliant coffee and add a Cafe Menu full of mouth-wateringly good, inventive and creative offerings including a "proper English Ploughman's Lunch" (hard to find in Australia).

Yes - I'm 'gushing' with enthusiasm because THAT is how GOOD this place is. Very well worth a trip up to Maleny and then meander back down the range with some good cheeses stinking up the car !! ;-)

3  Thank Cutts54
Reviewed 23 May 2014

As regular visitors to Maleny, my wife and I ensure a trip to Colin James is always on the agenda. Whether dropping in for a quick cuppa or lunch, or simply grabbing some of the dozens of global cheeses on offer, you truly can't go wrong.

This time around, our visit was simple; a quick early lunch to be followed by some shopping/roaming throughout the Maleny shopping area. Even simpler was our decision to both purchase the chicken crepes filled with salad and a walnut/coriander pesto. It sounded almost too basic and I nearly deviated into buying a mega-filled toasted sandwich. Luckily I refrained and the decision was a good one. The crepes were the epitome of freshness and oozed coriander, a herb of which I'm not usually fond but, in this case, complemented the meal perfectly. It truly felt like the whole package had been plucked from the garden (and chicken!) and delivered directly to the table.

To add to the pleasure, the wife loved her coffee while I thoroughly enjoyed my pot of chai tea. Oh, and for those not yet familiar with the Colin James experience, make sure to buy an ice-cream at the very least!

1  Thank Serge V
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The food is good but to wait an hour for it is over the top. Not enough staff for the amount of guests. Wouldn't go back.