“Amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Coffee Works
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Mareeba
Cuisines: Australian, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Bring your hunger for new experiences and your thirst for something completely different when you visit the Coffee Works, in Mareeba, just one hour from Cairns and Port Douglas. Eclectic and highly original, Coffee Works attracts over 200,000 visitors each year for what can best be described as a totally delicious day out. Find the perfect gift as you explore a treasure trove of incredible edibles, gourmet gifts and an ever changing array of stunning, unusual and affordable gifts in the packed to the rafters gift shop. Kick back and relax in lush tropical surrounds with flaming fabulous BBQ lunches, sweet treats, gourmet sorbet, superb gelato and irresistible chocolate platters created onsite in the Coffee Works own boutique Chocolaterie. Over 50 fabulous chocolate flavours are created before your eyes. It's like Willly Wonka, without the Oompa Loompas! The main event at Coffee Works is Coffee World. If it has anything to do with growing, roasting, serving, drinking or trading coffee, you will find it somewhere in this mammoth sensory wonderland. This is the biggest, best and most significant collection of coffee artefacts in the world, presented as one entire exhibition, for the very first time in history. Coffee World tells the epic story of coffee, 1,000 years in the making. A labyrinth of light and sound brings over 2000 coffee and tea making treasures from the past to life. There are plungers, filters, percolators, samovars, espresso machines, grinders, balance pots spanning over 350 years of art and design. It's all about choosing your own adventure. You are free to roam, using hand held audio guides to explore the stunning displays and themed entertainment rooms. Relish the opportunity to savour and compare the very best local beans to premium coffees from around the world. Explore the premium coffee regions of the world from the Coffee Works tasting room. Included in your Coffee World adventure is a sensory safari of unlimited all-day tastings of coffee, tea, chocolate and liqueur. There are no limits to how much you enjoy, or, how often you can return. Coffee Works gives everyone visiting Coffee World free re-admission with special Re-Entry cards to return again and again.
Yorkshire
“Amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is an amazing place, tea and coffee n' chocolate tastings.
Museum of Coffee/tea machines etc with audio. a look at the roasting and packaging plant, an Amazing shop plus an individual restaurant experience, Amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visited February 2014

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“A must-do/must-see/must-taste experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I knew Coffee Works would be good. My sister said we had to go—so we did.

Let me sum it up this way... "Its one of those places that you could visit again and have just as good a time as the first visit." There is SO MUCH TO SEE and taste. We bought the admission ticket so that we could see and taste everything. I needed a coffee, full size, to start me off and, after tasting it, I knew we were going to enjoy ourselves.

All six of us thoroughly enjoyed our brunch from the café.

It was really great to be able to do what each of us wanted to do, at the pace and when we wanted to do it. One sister hit the museum and was in there for at least an hour and a half. Another sister tasted and didn't stop with the coffee and chocolate tasting, interspersed with a museum visit.

The collection (hundreds, maybe thousands) of coffee- and tea-making items was so interesting. The audio narration was informative, interesting and easy to listen to. I really enjoyed hearing the collector's passion for his collection. We all felt a kinship with him.

TASTING: There is a nice range of coffees and teas to taste. From light to dark-roasted, flavoured and liqueur coffees. I sampled the macadamia coffee... birdy num num (in the words of Peter Sellers). I was surprised by the Chilli Orange Chocolate—up until this time I had resisted trying any chilli-flavoured chocolate; however, it was delicious. The Chilli comes through very late, so do not swallow it too quickly. All of the chocolate samples tasted amazing.

The Gift Shop: What can I say? WOW!! This shop is one that could soak up many hours. It is full of colourful, novel, different, whimsical and fun items. There are very large 3-panel wall art pieces through to heeled gumboots that look like a country-style boot—which I'd never seen before.

The service: Tonina was our 'guide'. She made what she did look like fun—that's saying a lot for me because I DO NOT enjoy serving people. I was awed by her ability to give us what must have been her 100th speel about the setup there, while sounding like we were her first-ever customers. The café crew were very friendly and assisted us happily.

All in all, I recommend this attraction/venue for people who enjoy coffee/tea/chocolate, looking through gift shops or enjoy history. If I'm up there again, I'll be heading there for another visit, FOR SURE!!!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
“Depends what you are looking for!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

In a nut shell, it is a small museum, with a ridiculously expensive gift shop. The entry fee for what it is, is expensive $19. There is a $5 reduction if you have their advertising brochure. All is self-guided & there is an audio guide through the museum, but this only covers a small number of items compared to what is there. The commentary is not professionally done and the information given is very limited.
When you have paid you are given a small cardboard cup to sample the coffees and a tiny plastic dish to sample the small pieces of chocolate. There are a good range of coffees to taste, but they are not fresh, only your usual roasted kind, overseas & local. The chocolates are yummy. You can try as much as you want, then go and see the museum, which has an large range of coffee machines, grinders, tea pots and things related to coffee and tea making through its history.
Tip: If you were hoping to learn about the coffee making process and be taken on a tour by a real person then this is not the one for you. It is way over-priced for what it is & definitely not good value for money! If the management should comment on my review to justify their operation, it will only go to show that what I have said is true!
If I were you, I would go to a real coffee plantation. We ran out of time.
Check out places first because things here are not always what they are advertised as. For example the 'Crystal Caves' - this is a crystal shop where the owner has excavated caves under the shop and then decorated them. Not what you would expect!

Godalming, United Kingdom
“Interesting diversion”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

We only stopped briefly for a bite to eat as it was very clear the place is intended as a tourist trap. We skipped the guided tour as this was, in our opinion, pricey and spent a short time looking at the myriad of fairly expensive but varied and interesting tourist trinkets. Coffee and a snack were most welcome.

Olympia, Washington
“Pricey and pretty "Touristy"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Coffee Works has lots of coffees and chocolates to choose from as well as a small restaurant. We visited, and had lunch, but did not take the tour. We had salads and sandwiches for lunch, which were good. Prices for coffee and chocolate seemed very high to me. The souvenirs and home decor items were very "touristy." We visited during Christmas break, so it was very busy and there was a wait for lunch.