“Clean and comfy”

Maroochydore Backpackers Hostel
Maroochydore Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I was very happy to stay at this backpackers. The room and bed was clean and drawers were provided for personal belongings. Breakfast was also provided which made it even better. Not really central location, but courtesy bus provided.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Maroochydore Backpackers Hostel

Reviewed 8 December 2011

The only reason I stayed at this hostel was because of the free bus to Australia zoo which is advertised on there website. There is NOT a free bus to the zoo only to the bus stop which costs 5 dollars to the zoo! The room was small and not worth the money! Dorm rooms looked ok! I got picked up from the greyhound because the hostel is a very very long walk away. So I expected that i would get dropped off because it was the same time I was leaving only to be told there's a 10:30 or 2:30 bus and its not a taxi service meaning I would be stood in the rain for three hours waiting for my bus. I was lucky a guy from the hostel was kind enough to drop me off at the greyhound. Not my favourite hostel!

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Jenny_10001
Reviewed 8 December 2011

The reason I stopped at this YHA was due to it being the closest to Australia zoo and it advertises on the website that the hostel provides a free bus to the zoo. NOT the case! You get dropped of at a pick up point for the zoo and it costs $5 a person. So I guess that is false advertising !! The room I stopped in was small and had a bad smell outside, the sheets where not the cleanest and it was too noisey due to the false Walls. Finally it was great that I got picked up from the bus stop but when I wanted to get dropped back there the service was not available. The kitchen was ok, there was free pool, a good size TV room and the bathroom was ok. There was a free breakfast providing you got in there by 8.30am. Overall I thought it was overpriced for what you got.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank 7,306
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We got picked up by the hotel staff of the YHA after a call we arrived at the busstation.
The YHA hostel is quite far from town centre. We stayed at a private room. The kitchen was clean and the living room was comfortable. there are a lot of games and dvd you can use for a night. The 2nd day we borrowed 2 bycicles and went to the beach and the shopping mall.
The Hostel staff is nice but there is actually..... nothing to do....
a lot of backpackers here are working at near farms / picking fruit and stuff so during the day there is almost nobody at the hostel (!)
The bathroom was nice and clean.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Justin O, Owner at Maroochydore Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2011

Dear traveller
Sorry to hear that you felt there was nothing to do here, we are currently training new staff of which we hope would give you plenty of choices and activities to do, either in the hostel or outside the hostel like Eumundi markets/Australia zoo/Underwater world/Glass House mountains as well as the hostel being close to the river which we provide Free kayaks and fishing rods for those who fancy something different.
There is a courtesy bus that runs to Town and different beaches 4 times a day I hope you were advised of this facility and we are only a short 15 minute walk to the centre of town..
Yes we do help fellow travellers with seasonal work too earn a few pennies so they can continue with there travels.
Please contact me directly if you are coming to stay, so that I can make your stay more enjoyable and with better choices...

Reviewed 30 July 2011

This was the best hostel I've ever stayed at! The staff was super nice, and went way above and beyond what was required of them. They shuttled us into town almost any time we asked and pointed out all the good eating places. They have free breakfast and so many food deals for starving students, it was amazing. The kayak, bike, and surfboard rentals were super cheap, and the hostel is located so close to places where you can do all these things. We were only here for 2 nights, but I would definitely come back (and I know friends who did a few months later).

The bathrooms, kitchen, and dining area were very clean. The rooms themselves are a little small, but we ended up spending so little time in them anyways. Even when chilling at the hostel we always hung out on the patio or by the pool. The grassy area by the pool is perfect for socializing, and even though we came in a rather large group, we still met some great people.

Room Tip: If you get a room by the pool, you can use the gates to hang your towels outside, but it may be loud...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank eskimopie155
Reviewed 20 February 2011

We arrived late Sat afternoon and immediately felt relaxed after a long drive.Dove straight into the pool, which was just beautiful, then milled around in the lounge and aclimatised ourselves with the surroundings. The hostel itself seemed out of place at first (seems in the middle of suburbia) but is welcoming and has a nice relaxed atmosphere about it. The brightly painted cabins and dorms certainly add spice to the hostel as do the palm trees, stone paths and gardens.
The kitchen is large and spacious with generous room to move, the lounge although a little cramped offered a great place to unwind, put the feet up and catch up with the news or a good book.
The bathroom facilities were exactly as you would expect, basic but clean, you could get worse elsewhere, they are roomy and spacious and the showers great. The added lotions are also a nice touch!
The dorms were also as you would expect from a hostel/backpackers, reasonable bunks and single beds available and private rooms for couples, and though there are fans a touch of air-con would have been a treat. Our room was clean and all the sheets, pillows and cases duvets etc were fresh. We were also given a conatiner with utensils for our eating which we found great. oh and not to forget the iron board, what a God send!
Overall, a great stay, great staff and great way to spend a few days at a bargin price! Will be back for sure.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2010

Stayed here for two nights in June in a four bed dorm with my wife, it was our first experience of a dorm as we had previously stayed in a hostel but in a double room. Although the rooms are small they are clean and comfortable. The hostel itself is also very clean and friendly staff. The kitchen is large with cookers and gas hobs.

The toilets and showers are good and there is free lotion, cotton buds and soap. The free breakfast is really good and the best of any hostel we stayed in, it consisted of toast, cereal and lots of fresk fruit and juices.

The hostel is about half an hours walk into the town, but theres a free shuttle bus at various times of the day, we used the shuttle in the morning as it links with the free bus to Australia Zoo which picks up from Maroocydore. The Zoo is well worth seeing and made me change my mind about Steve Irwin.

Overall it is a really nice place to stay but not that much going on.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maroochydore
Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers
#11 of 13 in Maroochydore
The Sebel Maroochydore
The Sebel Maroochydore
#1 of 13 in Maroochydore

Been to Maroochydore Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!