“A great local getaway”

Amytis Gardens Retreat & Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Maroochydore
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I'm not into writing reviews but I feel this is necessary after reading a rather negative review before our arrival. I was pleasantly surprised that there was a retreat so close to home but felt that far away. My wife and I are very busy and having our 1st night alone since we were married I thought it was a great opportunity to get away. 10 minutes from home, but honestly it felt we were miles away. To keep this short the spa treatment, the service, the cheese platter and wine on arrival and the chalet were fantastic. We will be back. Thank you amytis gardens, you made our night away very special

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ryan K

Reviewed 12 February 2013

We stayed at Amytis Gardens from a voucher that was purchased through Spreets. When i booked i was informed that due to popularity they had extended the promotional period, which was great as we had parents visiting from Overseas the only week day available. The extension period however only had two spots available on a friday and saturday and during the week but we would have been in Japan. We were informed that if we couldn't stay during the week we had to pay an additional $200 for the weekend. Despite the voucher not specifically saying that it was not available on weekends or there was additional charges for weekend stays, i agreed to pay as i didn't want the voucher to go to waste.

Upon arrival to Amytis you drive up a service past other properties that are a mess and do not really give a good first impression of the spa. We were taken through several key things at the reception desk, but was unimpressed that we had to do our own dishes at the end of the stay and to wash the glasses by hand because their cleaner was unable to carefully open the dishwasher to avoid the glasses from breaking.

The "chalets" are not really what i would call secluded and private. The chalet we stayed in was right next to another chalet which we could see straight into, and vice versa. The layout of the Chalets could have been better thought out. The Bedroom looks right out onto the service road, so there is no sleepy lay ins admiring the "spectacular view", because there was no view and if walking past you can see straight in. The walls of the bathroom did not go all the way to the roof, so anyone in the chalet can hear you go to the loo. Not very attractive. The spa is in the bathroom with the toilet and shower, so once again, if you are sharing the spa with your husband/wife etc enjoying a nice glass of champs and one needs to pop to the loo - no chance, cover eyes and ears.

The website claims that it is situated on 16 acres of rainforest. This is not rainforest at all, i wouldn't even call it thick bush. There are bush trees (gum trees) but it's not very picturesque. There is a pond of black looking water which was not very appealing as it hardly looked like clean damn water. There is no vegetation around the chalets so they are exposed and not private. There is a pool and BBQ area but this is all share/communal equipment and attached to the main spa.

Part of the deal we had was a continental breakfast and complimentary bottle of wine. The breakfast included was hardly large enough for 2 people x 2 days (see picture). The breakfast we had was waiting for us included 4 mini boxes of Kellogg's sugary cereal, 4 eggs, yoghurt, fruit and toast. The wine was horrible. A clear skin fruity white wine which was horribly sweet. We didn't the eat breakfast apart from the eggs and toast.

When the website states it has a kitchen please be advised that this includes a fridge, microwave and sink. There is also a toaster, and kettle. The hot plates they have are electric plug in the wall hot plates. Trying to cook eggs and bacon in the morning was the biggest nightmare. What a simple breakfast but it's dreadfully impossible when the frying pan doesn't sit flat on the electric hotplate. We gave up on even contemplating cooking a dinner or breakfast the morning and ended up having to go into moorchydore to eat.

When it came time to check out, i had to go looking for someone to advise and hand the DVD's we borrowed back to. After waiting in the reception for 10 minutes and ringing the little bell, i went on the search and found the lady sitting in another building enjoying a cup of tea with someone. When it's 9.45 and check out is at 10am it would make sense that there would be someone at reception.

I was unimpressed that we were forced to pay this additional $200 which at the time of booking i thought "not a problem they are busy i understand" when we arrived there was one other chalet with people in it (and the ladder on the rood gave me the impression this may have been occupied by friends or family or a longer term stayer). I was furious we had to pay additional money when the place was empty.

There was also an incident with my credit card prior to arriving where when i made the booking i authorised the payment of the additional $200. A week later i was then issued an invoice for the $200. When i enquired i was told that they didn't process it through while i was the phone to them and when they did finally process it was declined. I then informed them that i was not happy that the payment was not processed when on the phone and they card would not work as i was booking accommodation for our trip to japan. I did not hear anything back from them. I then checked my credit card several days later and saw they had just went and processed the $200 regardless of the email telling them the card would not be able to used.

I am aware that this needed to be paid, and i had agreed to this, but i was under the belief that it was processed while i was on the phone to them, not 7 days later. While i waited for a response that didn't come in relation to me telling that it wouldn't go through, i find that they just process it anyway is not good.

I have also included photos of additional charges including a $40 cleaning fee if the cleaner has to clean, or an additional $25 (or $30 depending on what page you look at) for wood if you require more wood for the fire. If you go in the winter take your own wood, it's cheaper and you get more if you buy it from a servo.

Overall, while this place was clean and tidy but it is not something i would call romantic. As my partner said to while we were watching TV "what a shame if i was planning on proposing to you because this place is a massive disappointment,i thought this place was supposed to be cosy and romantic, it is anything but".

For the same price you can go to The Mouse's House in the gold coast hinterland, for a truly wonderful, private, secluded, romantic get away.

Ps. Two of the lights didn't work, included the outside light so we couldn't sit outside after dusk. Didn't really bother us too much,but worth a mention. For a 4.5 star one would expect all lights to be working.

Room Tip: - Don't put the dishwasher on at night when you are going to bed, it will keep you awake. - Don...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Km_mccgrant
Matilda72, Manager at Amytis Gardens Retreat & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2013

Wow, how disturbing, this lady was angry when booking on the phone, taken photos in the chalet after she has inhabited the chalet and she has taken photos to suit her mood. This lady was most angry on checking in and out. Yes I am again sick in the stomach with this woman report as I was when she checked in. We do not present our guests with unmade beds and the cereals we use are approved by the National Heart Foundation.
This ladies report is a continuation of her deceit. Our quests are cherished by us as they are our business. Shirley Bonser Owner/Manage

Reviewed 18 January 2013

This is a great place to relax, have the treatment in the spa and just get away from it all
Joe and his wife have a lovely place nestled between Maroochydore and Woombye in the hills.
The quaint cabins and peacefulness adds to the total environ to assit you in relaxing.
People come from all over just to get away from the pace of todays world and what a place to get away to.
Nothing like the 5 star all bells and whistles costing you an arm and a leg.
Just good old comfort, solitude and quality and relaxing massage etc.
Great staff and customer focused service with no plastic smiles etc
If you thinking to find a getaway for a mid week or weekend and value add with the relaxing therapy then I cannot rate this place high enough.

Room Tip: Book ahead + say Howard sent you ;-)H
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Anita C, Manager at Amytis Gardens Retreat & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2015

Fantastic words thanks Howard! You have pretty much summed up what we are all about in your review. I am more than happy that you received all the benefits of staying locally, what a perfect arrangement. Thanks again your review has helped other travellers in their plans. Regards Anita

Reviewed 28 November 2012

The deal that I bought - as a birthday present - was completely inaccurate, the full continental breakfast was a couple of pieces of fruit, 1 tiny bottle of juice, 1 small serving of cereal and 2 pieces of toast, which was fine, untill I enquired where our breakfast was the next morning - only to be told that, no, that was your breakfast for the two day - to feed 2 people! Which wasnt the end of the world, I was polite as can be about it, but then when I requested 2 robes, which was entitled in the voucher, the mananagers/caretakers husand who I was speaking to turned in to the most rudest person I have EVER dealt with (and I work in customer service by the way, which says something!). He flatly refused and went on a rant about how long his day was and that it was not his problem, we were asking too much apparently, Some of the things he said during this were absolutely disgustingly rude. Then I proceeded to take the matter up with his wife, who dennyed that he would have been rude at all, she would not accept a word I said. She then became even ruder than her husband had been! I have NEVER been treated like that before in my life. I have never written a bad review of anything before so I am not out to have a winge - but this was absoltely appauling. Would never go back their even if my life depended on it. Yes, the cabins are very nice and the bush is lovely and quiet - but the treatment we received was horrid. They refused to listen and in the end make a million excuses and said we could have a $20-$30 refund (after a lot of argument and yelling!) - out of a two night stay that we used 1 night of and were treated like lower human beings. Do yourselves a favour and go somewhere else. Big thumbs down!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank Tara Z
Reviewed 16 October 2012

My partner and I stayed at Amytis Gardens for our Anniversary and we were blown away by the beautiful location and the quality of the chalets!! They were amazing and what a great way to escape the city and just be alone. The chalet was very modern and had everything you need in a romantic getaway. The owners were really great and made it a very special anniversary. The Spa was bliss and very relaxing, and we sat in the courtyard after, with a glass of champagne and I asked my partner if she wanted to marry me, and she said yes :) The best ever!

Room Tip: The chalets are wonderful and peaceful with a view of the forrest, very relaxing
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Matilda72, Manager at Amytis Gardens Retreat & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2012

Congratulations, we wish you well for your happy beginnings. I also see you have some artistic creation, we love your photo of the cheese platter. Hope you come again and renew your memories.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

We have tried other places on the Sunshine Coast and they do not come close to this place. The staff just couldn't do enough for you. The cabins were everything that was on their web site. The massage was great the staff were good. We preordered a few things and they were there in our cabin waiting for us.I would certainly recommend this place if you want to get away for a couple of nights and destress

• Stayed: October 2012
Matilda72, Front Office Manager at Amytis Gardens Retreat & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2012

Thanks Guys, you were a pleasure and glad you enjoyed your massages.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed here for two nights and really enjoyed the quiet, the spa bath, the sleep ins - and the spa treatments! The bed was also super comfy and we enjoyed the fire with a glass of wione and the cheese platter. Thank you for a lovely stay. Highly recommended for rest and relaxation

Room Tip: All chalets seem lovely.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maroochydore
The Sebel Maroochydore
#5 of 12 in Maroochydore
Clouds of Montville
Clouds of Montville
#3 of 3 in Montville

Been to Amytis Gardens Retreat & Spa? Share your experiences!