Treehouse Hostel
Castaways Resort & Spa Mission Beach(Mission Beach)(Great Value!)
US$126
Sanctuary Retreat(Bingil Bay)(Great Value!)
US$65
  • Restaurant
US$127
US$122
Priceline
Moondarra Motel Innisfail(Innisfail)(Great Value!)
US$77
Black Marlin Motel(Innisfail)(Great Value!)
US$78
Beachcomber Motel(Cardwell)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$68
  • Pool
Cardwell at the Beach(Cardwell)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$76
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 June 2008

I know the Treehouse for a long Time. My first Visit was in 2001.
I've been there for 3 times and stayed 2-Weeks in 2001, 2-Months in 2005 and another week in 2007. I't Changed alot! as you can reqad in other Tripadvisor descritpions, some love it, some not. during that time i know the treehouse, the owner changed and the management changed a couple of times. the last onwners Harry and Mandy do a fantastic job. since they ar on board, the treehouse isn't a mess at all! well if you do not like bugs, snakes, frogs, birds adn rainforest stay away. if you like to relax and have a good time (no stress in thinking about the next day or so ...) then you will love to stay at the treehouse.

so long, and i'll be back...

claudio (switzerland)

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2008

We had pre booked this YHA Hostel, as with all our other stays in FNQ, and judging by the brochure and recommendations from friends we were quite excited about our stay. Unfortunately we were left a bit frustrated.
Here's why:
1. Without knocking the management too badly, I feel they have let themselves get a tad complacent in their running of the place, My wife and I felt like we were imposing on them; like we had knocked on the door one night asking for bed and board only for them to say "oh, okay, but keep the noise down and abide by the rules otherwise you're out on yer ear!
2. Smoking. Look, I smoked for 15 years but thankfully realised what I was doing to mysef so perhaps I'm one of the worst, BUT I do not expect to see dozens of over flowing ashtrays every flippin where I turned especially by the pool! not one person bothered to empty those trays - I spent 5 mins kicking the butts that hadn't made it into the over flowing trays somewhere where I didn't have to look at and worse smell!! It certainly didn't help that the managers wandered around all day chain smoking like death warmed up. Yes, I know it's their choice but you have got to accomodate for non smokers. The place reeks of cigarettes and as for having the non smoking eating tables less than a metre away from the smokers is absolutely absurd.
3. Semi Permanent guests: what was all this about? Some girl called Tiffany coming up to us all and telling us to wash up otherwise she has to?? Only to reveal that they were going out on the sauce and wanted to get off early? Eh?? Did I walk into the wrong place all of a sudden? I thought this was a youth hostel! And as for these "semi permanent guests taking over one of the tables and sitting there [--] about the girls and lining up the fellas that they wanted to, well you know. This again made us feel like we were imposing on someones hospitality. Not a good look that. As for the toilets and showers that somone else mentioned in their review. Yes, absolutely like a third world country: dirty and unhygienic. And yes they were building some new fancy looking ones but the 3 days we stayed there not one person was there doing anything about them. The main fella at reception, who when we arrived was in there tiling, comes in at 8am to open reception, lights up a fag (surprise surprise) and logs on to the PC and sits and stares at the screen for most of the morning - until he gets out of his chair to sort his breakfast out. Stuff the showers, stuff the toilets, stuff the dirty kitchen, stuff the non smokers, stuff cleaning the ashtrays, stuff doing anything towards the paying guests eh!!
What a bleeding shame cause the actual "house" is lovely.

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank furrygurry
Reviewed 15 April 2008

staff is very unfriendly and not helpful, rooms were average but there was no possibility to lock the room - everybody could get in during the night... as the flyer says brakfast is included - it is NOT, there is no brakfast at all
staff was building a new bathroom so there was much noise and NO excuse of it
center and supermatket is far away, you have to take the courtesy bus

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank colonelslynx
Reviewed 20 January 2007

Wow!!! What a place. I checked in for 2 nights and finally managed to drag myself away 5 weeks later. Stuck in the middle of the rain forest, this place is all about relaxing. Whether its sunning yourself by the pool, floating in the pool taking in the spectacular views of the rain forest, dozing off in a hammock or having a quiet drink in the evening and playing games with the many other like-minded people who come to stay in this piece of paradise. A perfect place to stay for those people who wish to get away from those cheesy, drink-as-much-alcohol-as-possible-before-vomiting, noisy, unfriendly, pretentious hostels that seem to be everywhere down the east coast. The only place to chill on the east coast!!!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2005

Treehouse YHA at Mission Beach (actually in Bingil Bay) and miles away from the Beach is the worst hostel I ever stayed in! It is absolutely filthy, the rooms and pool havent been cleaned in years, and the showers are like something in a third world country. The staff are the most unhelpful, disinterested people I have ever come across. We booked in for one night and rang another hostel at 7.30am in the morning to come and rescue us! For about $5 in the price difference we stayed in the Sanctuary Eco Lodge which was absolutely fabulous. Staff very nice, everything clean and just a really relaxing, chilled out spot!

• Stayed: February 2004