“Paradise, or not far off!”
Review of Treehouse Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mission Beach
Treehouse Hostel
Bebington, United Kingdom
“Paradise, or not far off!”
Reviewed 25 April 2010

I arrived here in Sep 09 for a couple of nights and ended up staying for a lot longer. The hostel is situated in Bingil Bay which is a 10 minute drive out of Mission Beach however there is a Beach Shuttle Bus that can take you around the area for $2, it runs every day so you can always get out and about if you wish. This place is an actual treehouse and the vibe is relaxed and chilled out, there is no television but that wasn't a priority for me.
The hostel was clean and I spent many a happy hour reading in one of the hammocks or lazing by the pool. There are bugs, I saw a Hercules moth whilst I was there which is the largest in the world!! There are mosquitos and marsh flies too so bring some repellent but that is a small inconvenience for such a unique place, the best hostel so far....

Management and staff were friendly as was the resident cat and dog.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo

Families
Business
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 8 February 2010

this hostel is a nice place. nice and quiet location, quite clean and i would def stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 16 September 2009

We arrived here late-ish one evening with the intention of camping. We'd been left very vague instructions as to who to find when we arrived and finally started pitching the tent on their 'camp ground' at about 10pm. Our tent normally goes up in about 5mins, however, the ground was so hard that we couldn't get the pegs in properly. I'm still not sure how it stayed up that night!

The hostel is also in the middle of no where which we didn't realise until we arrived. Luckily, we had a car so made it to our white water rafting pick up location the next morning. Not sure how transport works if you're car-less however.

As for facilities, the kitchen is well stocked, but is open to the wild so be prepared to have the odd dinner-plate sized spider watching as you cook your evening meal! As the hostel as a campsite, also be prepared for campervan loads of people to show up in one go and take over the kitchen.

The bathrooms are pretty rough. You have to hang your clothes up in the same cubicle as the shower, so be prepared for soggy clothes. The toilets also have a very funny smell about them. They looked clean, but I wasn't convinced.

The communal area is full of books, games and a radio and there are a few hammocks scattered about the pool area, which makes it very atmospheric. It's just a shame the rest of the hostel doesn't share the same ambience.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline S
England
Reviewed 3 August 2008

lovely hostel with a really nice aptmosphere and great people! the owners are really helpful and the shuttle bus worked well. a great retreat in a beautiful place- yes there are bugs- but you are in the rainforest!

• Liked — the views
  • Disliked — the girls working there for logings were really sour
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
Rapperswil, Schweiz
Reviewed 26 June 2008

I know the Treehouse for a long Time. My first Visit was in 2001.
I've been there for 3 times and stayed 2-Weeks in 2001, 2-Months in 2005 and another week in 2007. I't Changed alot! as you can reqad in other Tripadvisor descritpions, some love it, some not. during that time i know the treehouse, the owner changed and the management changed a couple of times. the last onwners Harry and Mandy do a fantastic job. since they ar on board, the treehouse isn't a mess at all! well if you do not like bugs, snakes, frogs, birds adn rainforest stay away. if you like to relax and have a good time (no stress in thinking about the next day or so ...) then you will love to stay at the treehouse.

so long, and i'll be back...

claudio (switzerland)

• Liked — Harry & Mandy
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Mount Coolum
Reviewed 11 May 2008

We had pre booked this YHA Hostel, as with all our other stays in FNQ, and judging by the brochure and recommendations from friends we were quite excited about our stay. Unfortunately we were left a bit frustrated.
Here's why:
1. Without knocking the management too badly, I feel they have let themselves get a tad complacent in their running of the place, My wife and I felt like we were imposing on them; like we had knocked on the door one night asking for bed and board only for them to say "oh, okay, but keep the noise down and abide by the rules otherwise you're out on yer ear!
2. Smoking. Look, I smoked for 15 years but thankfully realised what I was doing to mysef so perhaps I'm one of the worst, BUT I do not expect to see dozens of over flowing ashtrays every flippin where I turned especially by the pool! not one person bothered to empty those trays - I spent 5 mins kicking the butts that hadn't made it into the over flowing trays somewhere where I didn't have to look at and worse smell!! It certainly didn't help that the managers wandered around all day chain smoking like death warmed up. Yes, I know it's their choice but you have got to accomodate for non smokers. The place reeks of cigarettes and as for having the non smoking eating tables less than a metre away from the smokers is absolutely absurd.
3. Semi Permanent guests: what was all this about? Some girl called Tiffany coming up to us all and telling us to wash up otherwise she has to?? Only to reveal that they were going out on the sauce and wanted to get off early? Eh?? Did I walk into the wrong place all of a sudden? I thought this was a youth hostel! And as for these "semi permanent guests taking over one of the tables and sitting there [--] about the girls and lining up the fellas that they wanted to, well you know. This again made us feel like we were imposing on someones hospitality. Not a good look that. As for the toilets and showers that somone else mentioned in their review. Yes, absolutely like a third world country: dirty and unhygienic. And yes they were building some new fancy looking ones but the 3 days we stayed there not one person was there doing anything about them. The main fella at reception, who when we arrived was in there tiling, comes in at 8am to open reception, lights up a fag (surprise surprise) and logs on to the PC and sits and stares at the screen for most of the morning - until he gets out of his chair to sort his breakfast out. Stuff the showers, stuff the toilets, stuff the dirty kitchen, stuff the non smokers, stuff cleaning the ashtrays, stuff doing anything towards the paying guests eh!!
What a bleeding shame cause the actual "house" is lovely.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank furrygurry
Montabaur
Reviewed 15 April 2008

staff is very unfriendly and not helpful, rooms were average but there was no possibility to lock the room - everybody could get in during the night... as the flyer says brakfast is included - it is NOT, there is no brakfast at all
staff was building a new bathroom so there was much noise and NO excuse of it
center and supermatket is far away, you have to take the courtesy bus

• Liked — pool area was beautiful
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo