I have emailed Castaways twice to express our disappointment with our stay to their reservations address but have received NO REPLY or acknowledgement - maybe they can't receive them or maybe they don't care - I'm not sure.
My new husband and I had been travelling for a several weeks on honeymoon. Castaways was a little above our normal budget but for the type of room we were getting but with the tripadvisor reviews which, until recently, were all very good and also how clean and slick the website looked we thought it was going to be something really special so splashed out. Sadly we have a few complaints as follows.
Our room looked very tired. The walls and general furnishing all looked rather "beaten up" and the air con was quite ineffectual. The website and cost leads you to believe that it is a clean and modern hotel but the bathroom was old and scaly and not what we were expecting. The booking confirmation of details for our room says wireless internet included - this is misleading as it is only available in certain areas and hard to pick up / weak. In actual fact you need to spend a small fortune to have wifi in your room. There was also no safe which we have found standard in also every hotel and definitely in the "luxury" ones.
My personal main complaint was cleanliness. The pool on our first day was very dirty. I jumped into the long pool and felt myself treading on something I looked underwater with my goggles (the water is strangely cloudy in both pools) and there were in just one corner a collection of around 35 dead spiders, wasps and other detritus. There were many other clusters- it was filthy. We are keen swimmers and this was the main draw from the pictures on the website for us. We did not go in either pool again.
The plates at breakfast were also very dirty on the morning we left. I picked my way through several plates and bowls to find a cleanish one. I was not the only one with another girl said "ewwwww" when she picked up a plate and found the same nasty stuff I was finding. Reading through other reviews it appears that this hotel seems to have ongoing issues with cleanliness.
Breakfast was limited. In fact it was the poorest offering in Continental breakfast in our 5 week trip - maybe it was to encourage you to spend an extra $10 for their hot breakfast "deal". There were problems with the toasters which kept shorting and the selection was measly and not refreshed enough for the price tag attached.
We ate lunch and dinner one day. Lunch was very nice and reasonably priced. In the evening meal I picked the stuffed mushroom starter. It cost $14 and the mushroom wasn't much larger than a 50 cent piece... There was a bit of salad to make it look more but the value was shocking... I know it might seem hard to believe now but I don't complain very often but the disappointments kept racking up and so I complained. I was told I was not the first to complain and that the mushrooms used to be much much larger. I was given a free glass of wine to compensate but found it worrying that people had complained but nothing was being changed so I wonder how many have complained about the mushroom starter today? My husband ate the steak with sides - he received 4 slithers of a carrot not even half an actual carrot - it was more of a suggestion than a side. Other than the breakfast we decided to eat away from the hotel...
The view was very stunning. I loved the exterior bed on our balcony. The staff are friendly but the price tag was way over the standard currently being provided. I know they suffered from the typhoon a couple of years ago but cleanliness does not cost a lot... I was asked how my stay was as I settled the heavy cheque I said that actually I was disappointed and had expected much more - also that the pool was very dirty - the lady was sweet but did not address anything just changed the subject and asked where I was going next. It could be a great great luxury hotel and it sells itself this way - but its still got a way to go in my opinion...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castaways Resort & Spa offers a wide range of accommodation, with 48 luxury beachfront rooms and self-contained apartments, a private beachside villa and 18 lush rainforest rooms, spread over two centrally-located properties. All rooms located within our beachfront property other than the hotel rooms, feature a private balcony or garden patio with stunning views out to the Coral Sea and Dunk Island. Our beachfront hotel rooms feature a full length windows with views of the beautiful beachfront. All rooms located within our rainforest property are surrounded by our lush rainforest gardens, providing wonderful serenity and privacy. All guests have access to all of our facilities, including our 25m lap pool, beachfront leisure pool, rainforest lagoon pool, gym, laundry, Drift Day Spa and Bibesia Restaurant and Cocktail Bar, which is open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Wifi is free and accessible throughout the resort and all parking is off-the-road and complimentary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Castaways Resort & Spa Mission Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castaways Resort & Spa Mission Beach Hotel Mission Beach
- Castaways Resort And Spa Mission Beach
- Castaways Hotel On Mission Beach
- Castaways Resort On Mission Beach