“Cheap and cheerful”
Review of Demi View Motel

Demi View Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mossman
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This is a cheap and cheerful basic stay. Im a sales rep and usually need somewhere clean and safe to sleep when working long hours on the road, the Demi View always delivers. This motel has the best Resturant in town attached to it which is a bonus, very yummy feed.

Room Tip: Down the back is best but not necessary
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Our daughter got an inner ear infection on her last dive of the day before flying home to WA. She was transported to Mossman Hospital whose staff are efficient, kind and happy. As she was still suffering from vertigo we needed somewhere safe and helpful for her to stay. I noticed the Demi View Motel and called the owner Kraig who said it would be no problem to fetch her from hospital which he did. He and his wife Rachael were just lovely and we can only recommend them highly. Incidentally the restuarant's food is divine. Thanks so much Kraig and Rachael, we need more people like you two!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I am writing to report several ‘random acts of kindness’ by the owners of 2 hotels in Mossman, Queensland, Australia – the Demi-View Motel and the Mossman Motel Holiday Villas.

I had just arrived in the Cairns area, from the USA, for a trip up to the Daintree Rainforest. Needless to say, I was exhausted, and not yet completely adjusted to driving on the left side of the road. Hotels.com usually does a great job, but every company screws up occasionally, and they had screwed up in this instance. (Note that I’m sure they will give me a refund – the point here is NOT a complaint against hotels.com.)

But bottom line, I was driving through Mossman having received a very unclear notice of a change in accommodations for that night in Cape Tribulation. As it was getting dark, and I still had a couple hours drive ahead of me, through a very uninhabited area with no cell coverage, to next catch a ferry, and then continue along narrow, bumpy roads teeming with wildlife, I figured I had better stop as I passed through Mossman, to look up the supposed new hotel in the phone book, and call ahead to make sure that I actually had accommodations for the night, as well as get directions.

The folks in a local grocery store had never heard of the hotel I was supposedly booked to stay in. As a red-eyed drive to an area without cell phone coverage, to arrive at Hotel May Not Exist, appeared ill advised, I next pulled into the Demi View Hotel to ask if they had a room for the night.

They did not. Nevertheless, the owner, Rachael Byrne, really took me under her wing. Overall, Rachael spent over an hour on the phone for me, despite the fact that it was evening and she and her son had been playing a board game upstairs. First, she contacted someone in Cape Trib who verified that the hotel I was booked at did NOT, in fact, exist. Then she was willing to tie up her phone line for an additional half hour attempting to communicate with hotels.com. Rachael next arranged accommodations for me at the Mossman Motel Holiday Villas, where there was still one room remaining.

I was then passed into the hands of Simon and Allison,owners of the Mossman Hotel Holiday Villas, who were equally gracious. They allowed me to use their desk phone for well over ½ hour, and their personal computer for 1 hour. The room that I had there was wonderful – spotless, full kitchen, comfie mattress, and even a little resident gecko for company. By morning, I was not only well rested, but also had been able to arrange alternate accommodations for the remainder of my stay in Cape Tribulation. Simon and Allison then offered to hold my scuba gear for me until my way back through, and when I asked them where I might buy some insect repellant, they gave me a can.

Rachael, Simon and Allison, I thank each of you so much for your kindness to an exhausted, stranded traveler who truly had nowhere to go, and no one to help. You were all wonderful – and although not the main point of this story, I would recommend either of your motels highly, as they were both well run and good destination locations in their own right. You were each, truly, the embodiment of the best of the holiday spirit!
With warm regards,
Jan Larkin

Room Tip: Unfortunately, I cannot review the specifics of the room, as this motel was full up for the night th...
Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank j l
Reviewed 10 December 2012

This was, by far, the best motel we stopped in during our road trip in North Queensland. It was really comfortable and exceptionally clean. It is centrally placed in Mossman but go no further to eat than the attached Mojos restaurant. The owners are really friendly and helpful, allowing us to keep the trailer on site while we explored the Daintree area and even offering the use of the pool for the rest of our group who were staying with friends in the area. It was a really enjoyable place to stay in a beautiful area, and at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2012

i walked in off the street after my motorbike broke down i was supprised to find so many smily and happy faces everyone wanted to help me i am a seasond traveler and couldnt believe how clean and fresh the room was room 5 would be one of the best rooms i have stayed in and i have stayed in alot of motels the staff were so helpfull especially the maintenance man i highly recomend this motel to every traveler

Room Tip: rooms on north side have new and great tv s
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We spent one night at Demi View Motel and were very surprised about the price versus quality. The rooms are comfortable and big enough. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They brought us a microwave and plates because we wanted to prepare our own meal. We did not try the swimming pool and the restaurant but both looked really nice. We would really recommend this nice motel!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We were lucky enough to stumble across the Demi View Motel on our last trip to Far North Queensland. Rach and Kraig are so friendly and the motel units are spacious and comfortable. Easy access to the Daintree and Day trip to Cape Tribulation. 15minutes to Port Douglas. On site restaurant Mojos was great and by far the best Salt and Pepper Squid I have ever eaten.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mossman
Daintree EcoLodge & Spa
Daintree Rainforest Retreat
Silky Oaks Lodge
Silky Oaks Lodge
#1 of 2 in Mossman

Been to Demi View Motel? Share your experiences!