“Clean rooms good location”

Roma Mid Town Motor Inn
Roma Mid Town Motor Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Roma
Reviewed 4 December 2013

If you turn right out of the motel it is about 300 mts from MacDonald's and KFC and other fast food about 800 mts away.

If you walk to the left there are two pubs. We dined in one and the staff tried to double charge us for drinks. Pretty typical for a mining boom town.

The motel is your typical brick constructed low set. The room was a double bed and small lounge and table. The bathroom was modern and clean.

We had no problem with management and rang to advise we would be in late which was no problem. Early starts ( 4 am) and late finishes are standard in the area with workers on 12 hour shifts.

I think some of the problems with the experience of the reviewers is that Roma and the surrounding areas are in the midst of a coal seam gas and coal extraction boom. There are thousands of workers flooding into town and the companies are booking out blocks of the rooms as accommodation is so scare.

We booked late and our company paid a premium to get rooms.

You wont get a cheap room and the miners have a lot of cash themselves and the companies could not care less what it cost for a room and the meals the men order. In that environment you wont find any bargains or be in a position to negotiate.

The cost of living in Roma and the surrounding area is expensive so don't expect cheap meals, goods or services.

Book well ahead and be prepared to stay in surrounding towns

Room Tip: Book well ahead (weeks that is) to secure rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Auscoach

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The Roma Mid Town Motor Inn claims to "offerer exceptional attention from your welcoming hosts John & Janis Mackie" but nothing can be further from the truth!! My girl friends and I stayed over the Roma Cup weekend booking 3 rooms for two nights, paying a total of $870. The rooms were average. Managers John and Janis (especially) were not only rude and inconsiderate of our privacy they were also threatening and demanding. I was told by Janis when booking that we were allowed 4 ppl per room equalling 12 people in total... we only had 11 staying so numbers should have not been a problem, yet this was brought up time and time again (maybe she cant grasp maths?). Janis claims that one person staying with us broke the pool gate lock, however when we went to see if this was the case the pool gate was in perfect working order. Janis also saw it appropriate to barge into our rooms un-announced at 2am while everyone was sleeping. Not only that, when a friend who had cut her head open and was bleeding everywhere was being walked home by another friend Janis stopped them at the gate and insisted that my bleeding friend was fine and that her friend could not come in to help her clean herself up. This is simply cold-hearted and dangerous behaviour on managerment's bahlaf. On the Sat morning we were told to leave when we still had one more night booked. Janis and John told me that they would call the police is were were not out within 15mins. We tried to reason with them, letting them know we had no where to stay and no swags but all they could say was bad luck and that us 11 girls deserved it. On-top of that they told us that our names were now 'on the black list' at all accommodation in Roma. I was disgusted and highly disappointed with the Roma Mid Town Motor Inn and will never be staying there again! I cannot stress this enough to people thinking of booking an overpriced room there. You will be chastised and put in danger by Janis and John! oh and there was a rat in one room.

Room Tip: All rooms are crap... STAY AWAY!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank K C
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed here on the way to Charleville to break up the trip with kids. I had read the past reviews about bad management and rude service and, although needing to book a return night, I was hesitant until I had checked it out. I found the reception from management was warm and friendly. I was thinking perhaps this was different management as it was not as I was expecting after prior reviews. But the lady operating the business was very pleasant and even went to the trouble of notifying me when we left something in the room after we checked out. I was more than happy to book a return night on our way back. I have nothing negative to say as our experience was very good and the motel itself is in a great location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Terry O
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We always stay at this motel when in Roma because of its location to the town. Good one night stopover but the service at reception certainly has changed and not for the better. The lady couldn't have cared less about us or why we were there. Just wanted our money up front. Given the motel's proximity to town and the main roads, it is a quiet location. The rooms are neat and clean with all of the standard facilities like Television, Tea and Coffee Making etc. Bed and pillows were okay and we certainly had a lot worse on our 2 month holiday.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem pretty much the same.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank familyideals
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed at this motel because it was the only one which had a vacant room when we rang in from about 100KM out.... a common experience in this mining boom town if you do not book well ahead.

Going on some of the reviews we were apprehensive about what we would find.

Turned out to be a clean, quiet, reasonably modern small town motel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BrisFlyer
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Rooms neat but beds very uncomfortable. Extremely rude customer service. Managers need to take happy pills. Glad we had only booked for one night stay. Tonight we are sleeping under the stars and its much nicer than staying at the mid-town.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Highwayman47
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Booked over the phone a few weeks prior given advice from friends that accommodation could be difficult given the number of coal seam gas workers in town. Arrived and they had no record of my booking made via phone and unfortunately they, and the rest of Roma, were fully booked! I wouldn't plan to stop at Roma again given the lack of vacancies. The owner was apologetic realizing by my hand written notes with me that I had genuinely booked. She at least rang ahead to secure a booking for us at a motel out of town but closer to our destination.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family