“Great Winter Getaway”

Murray Gardens Motel & Cottages
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Stanthorpe
Reviewed 4 July 2014

As a family of 5 needing a short break, this was the perfect location! We stayed in a cottage - "Tammy" - and it was wonderful to open the doors to a warm fire. The cottage had everything we needed, including electric blankets which were a real novelty for the kids!

The children had a ball exploring the grounds, searching for Garry the snail's six friends, bouncing on the jumping pillow and playing basketball. This "kid friendliness" is an excellent feature of Murray Gardens with the children commenting that it was the best place we have ever stayed. Happy kids = happy holidays!

Murray Gardens is in a convenient location to town and tourist attractions. We would definately recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
TammyStanthorpe, Owner at Murray Gardens Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hi Erin,

Thank you for your feedback. It is wonderful for us to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time here with us. We often joke that we can't work out whether the kiddies enjoy the 'Snail Hunt', the 'Giant Bouncing Cushion' or 'Kobi' more as reception is often filled with little people giving our pooch lots of love. It's great though and we often see parents relax more and more as they get further into their stay. We look forward to seeing you all again next time.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Positives:
- Clean room
- Quick and easy access to highway
- Parking at front of room is covered

Negatives:
- Restrictive data limit for wireless internet. If you are like me and plan trips on the go then don't stay here because you will not be able to get any planning done. I only did some Google Map searches, looked at a few national park websites and checked the weather (not data intensive activities) and that used up the limit so I was not able to book my accommodation for the next day nor was I able to plan my full day.
- Bed was sagging in the middle. Unfortunately there were no other rooms available and I was too tired to find another motel to stay at.
- Shower had poor pressure and the water temperature is hard to get right.
- Expensive for what you get. Again I do not understand why Australia is so expensive when it comes to motels especially when it is in locations similar to Stanthorpe.

If you just want a place to stay for the night and don't need to use the internet then I guess this place would be okay to stay at. After travelling around the US for almost 1 year I find myself disappointed with the quality/price ratio of accommodation in Australia, this place especially is no exception.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank shazam10
TammyStanthorpe, Owner at Murray Gardens Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Hi and thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback here.

We are happy you found the room clean and conveniently located. I apologise that you ran out of internet. It can be a little tricky to give everyone all the information about us on check in but in our guest information in your room, it mentions about the internet. Had you let us know you had run out, then we would have only been to happy to reissue you with another allotment. Unfortunately we have to have measures in place to control our internet usage to ensure we have enough for everyone. It is a simple and immediate click of a mouse however, to reissue you with another 200mb.

I am regretful that you were not happy with the bed. I do happen to have new mattresses in storage, so if you could contact me and let me know which room you were staying in, we could look at changing it over. It would be beneficial also to know which room you stayed in also so we can also check into the water pressure issue and try to resolve that as well.

Thanks again and have a great day. :)

Reviewed 23 February 2014

One of the few places that could accommodate for more than three people in Stanthorpe! Friendly staff, cute and cozy cottages with everything that you need.
Great facilities for the kids, including a big pool, basketball court, activities, bouncing platform. The manager was fantastic and let us stay and use the pool + cottage after our check-in as well! 5/5 stars!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Zhenya B
TammyStanthorpe, Owner at Murray Gardens Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Hi Zhenya,
Thank you so much for taking the time to pop up this feedback. We appreciate that everyone's time is valuable. We are really happy that you enjoyed your stay and usually don't mind people using our facilities beyond checkout as it is really no problem for us at all for you to do so and using the cottage or motel room is okay, depending on checkin requirements that day but we are glad we could offer that to you. Thank you again and have a terrific day. :-)

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Recently rolled into Stanthorpe looking for some accommodation and after enquiring at a few other places, we happened across Murray Gardens Cottages & Motel.

The office was closed and were about to leave when Tammy approached us asking if she could help - and that she did.
We were given great after hours service to book us in to our room and were provided with excellent information relating to our stay and tips on local places to eat.
The place was relatively busy during our 12 night stay but you wouldn't know it. The rooms were good and the facilities did what we wanted - bit of laundry, cooking etc. The setting is awesome and seriously, you could hardly tell the New England Hwy was next door.

Tammy and her crew were pretty awesome in making our stay a memorable one and if you're in this neck of the woods do yourself a favour and camp out here. Hell, I even left my shoes there and they're posting them back to me.

Top shelf joint and people.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
TammyStanthorpe, Owner at Murray Gardens Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Oh wow Scott - Thank you so very much. But in all fairness, yourself and your lovely wife were an absolute pleasure to have in return. Thank you not only for your kind words but also for taking the time to enter your feedback - We really appreciate it. Have an awesome day and hopefully you'll make it back up this way again one day soon - but for a more enjoyable purpose. Thanks again. :-)

Reviewed 25 January 2014

After traveling 12 hours were directed to here by local people stating this was one the of premier accommodation places in the area. Unfortunately it did not live up to the expectations. One arrival and check-in I asked the young lady where could get something to eat as we were tired and hungry only to be told that there were pubs around the place. On entering our room smelt of bleach and we had to leave the door open to rid the room of the smell and we found the place had a restaurant. The only positive thing that could be said about our room was it was spacious. The bed was that hard that the floor was a better option. The bathroom needed a complete makeover and redesign as you had to nearly climb over the toilet to have a shower. Certainly not worth the money we paid for one night.and will not be revisiting.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris P
TammyStanthorpe, Owner at Murray Gardens Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Hi Chris P,

Thank you for your feedback. Your thoughts and opinions are very important to us as it is what we use to know where we are going well and conversely not so. In particular your feedback regarding the quality of the bed is valuable as we obviously don't sleep on any of them and therefore if we know you are not happy with it we can address that directly. Although had you brought these issues to our attention at any time during your stay, we could have assisted to make your stay more comfortable. We think we have worked out which room you may have stayed in and have already replaced the bed in there. We have also spoken to both the cleaning and reception staff that were working during your stay. As a matter of routine we always offer all of our guests on check-in both a dining guide (large booklet on reception counter and a local map). Alison, who was working on those days assures me that she did do this, but I would say has probably recommended the hotels to you as they are her personal favourite places to have dinner, especially for anyone on a budget.

My apologies for your misunderstanding that we have a restaurant onsite. We only offer meals to rooms. I can only assume that because you saw the 'Room Service Menu' in your room and confused this for us having a restaurant, but we certainly don't.

My apologies for the overwhelming smell of bleach. I have since learned a new cleaner we had working with us that weekend had a particular fondness of using Exit Mould. We have since spoken with her and I can assure you that we usually only use this product on very rare occasions, as the need hardly ever arises to do so, but I can certainly understand how this would not have been pleasant and at this stage I can only apologise.

With regard to the price, as you chose to stay with us in the middle of a long weekend on a public holiday for a one night stay, you paid the highest ever that would be charged. This price is definitely not the norm.

Once again, I am sorry that your stay was not what you expected but I do hope you enjoyed the area and your visit and I thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Murray Gardens Cottages & Motel

I spent a couple nights at Murray Gardens Cottages & Motel. I had booked a motel room but was upgraded to a cottage. The cottage was clean, spacious and well equipped. Staff was friendly. Free WiFi, a very much appreciated feature, and one they should advertise as it is an important part of the decision process of many. Murray Gardens Cottages & Motel is located just off the highway but I had no problem with noise despite sleeping with my windows open.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
TammyStanthorpe, Owner at Murray Gardens Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time to put your feedback up here and I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay here with us. Also, thank you for bringing to our attention that the wifi is not easily identifiable as a feature of Murray Gardens. I will look into making it more clear. Thanks again and have a great day.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

My Mom, husband and I were doing some wine touring in Stanthorpe and Murray Gardens was perfect for us. We did the BBQ meat and wine package and the meat was tasty and enough for us for the 2 nights we stayed. We just sorted out a salad and put it all together in the camp kitchen... working out perfectly for a relaxing night in after a day of wine tasting. Thanks Tammy for the great service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
TammyStanthorpe, Owner at Murray Gardens Motel & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Hi Kim,
Thank you so much for taking the time to enter up your feedback and you are so very welcome. You guys were such a pleasure to have and I look forward to seeing you all again one day soon. I hope your Mum enjoyed her time in Oz. Have a great day. :-)