Lake Barrine Tea House, Restaurant And Cottage Accomodation
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Yungaburra
Price range: US$7 - US$16
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Operated by the 3rd and 4th generations of the Curry family, the Tea House at Lake Barrine has been offering delicious breakfasts, lunches, and cafe drinks, boat tours, and a beautiful view of the Crater Lakes National Park tropical rainforest since the 1920s. An excellent stop off on a visit to the Tablelands, or even a destination in itself, we would love it if you stopped by!
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Nice, quaint, little cafe on the Lake Barrine. Nice place to have lunch or afternoon tea on a nice day over looking the lake. Scones are meant to be the best in Queensland or something - they were nice but that seemed a stretch..

Reviewed 30 June 2014

A lovely tranquil place, great breakfast or lunch spot, the lake is very pretty.
We had breakfast, it was excellent. Defiantly one to visite.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great food, reasonably priced, lovely lakeside outlook. Interesting history to the place and lots of birds and the odd python if you do the boat cruise.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

had lunch today, excellent fresh meals. Had home made minestrone soup, just great
partner had hamburger, full, he said was lovely and looked great.
a great atmosphere looking out on the deck.
The team all appears to work well together and kept the place clean and cleared up.
didn't have to wait long, even though they apologized for being late.

Only 1 issue, patron was smoking on the main balcony and drifted in.

keep up the good work

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Surprised at the glowing reviews for the Devonshire Tea at the Lake Barrine Tea House - cost $7.60. Firstly: when is a Devonshire Tea one and a half scones? Secondly: there was too much rising agent in the scones which meant they broke apart when you tried to pick one up. Thirdly: the jam was runny and had very little fruit in it. I make my own jam and what was on my scone was not good jam. Fourthly: Not much cream and it had been beaten just a touch too long. Any cook will know exactly what I mean. Fifthly: I don't like my scones arriving with the jam and cream already put on them. By the way, to those who commented on the warm scones - I'm sure that's because they had been put into a microwave. They were not freshly made at all.

Also, the cup of tea was quite average from a teapot that spilled more into the saucer and the tabletop than into my cup. A warning to any woman who puts her handbag under the table - be careful when pouring a cup of tea as mine dripped through the slats of the table onto my bag.

But the view from the verandah was pleasant and it was interesting to watch the fish, tortoises and large eel from our seats.

Olivia B, Manager at Lake Barrine Tea House, Restaurant And Cottage Accomodation, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Hi Annie,

I am very surprised by your review of our devonshire tea and dining experience. I would just like to touch on a few of your concerns. We taste each and every batch of scones to be sure of quality. When we saw the scones at 3.45pm they were still warm, weren't crumbly nor had a taste of too much rising agent. Our award winning scones are freshly made three times a day. The batch you had came out of our gas oven at 2.00pm. We do not put our scones in our microwave and if ever we re-heat them they are done in the gas oven. We serve 3 halves as over time we have found that one whole scone was not enough and two whole scones were too many. When asked we are very happy to serve scones with jam and cream on the side. Our raspberry plum jam is the same jam we have used for the past 50 years, Due to the quantity of jam we go through it is not viable for us to make homemade jam. However all care and attention is paid to mixing the jam recipe correctly. The pure cream is freshly whipped regularly throughout the day. We do apologise if you feel that the cream was over-whipped. I am very sorry you got a leaky teapot and if we had been advised then and there we would of changed it, which would of given us a chance to take the leaky teapot out of service. We have always tried to keep our prices affordable, I believe the $7.60 is a reasonable price for a serve of scones and a bottomless cup of locally grown black loose leaf tea or coffee and the opportunity to sit on our veranda overlooking the lake and watching the wildlife and compared to other businesses serving a similar product I would suggest that it is one of the most affordable. In saying that please be aware that this property is owned free hold and we have higher running cost due to the old building, garden maintenance and no council facilities. Once again i would like to reiterate that we strive to give the best experience at Lake Barrine. We are disappointed that this did not happen, nor did you give us the opportunity to fix this straight away. We would be very happy to discuss this further if you wish to phone us and speak to Leanne or Olivia on 07 40953847. Thank you for making us aware of the issues, we do appreciate the time you have taken.

Travellers who viewed Lake Barrine Tea House, Restaurant And Cottage Accomodation also viewed

Yungaburra, Queensland

Been to Lake Barrine Tea House, Restaurant And Cottage Accomodation? Share your experiences!