“Disappointed, allocated a second rate room, and injured.”
Review of Eden House Retreat

Eden House Retreat
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Yungaburra
Victoria
“Disappointed, allocated a second rate room, and injured.”
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Despite enquiring direct with the hotel at time of booking, we arrived to be told that the price was below their usual rate and after some embarrassing moments we were allocated a different, lesser, room! The gravel carpark and pebbled pathway made carrying baggage the only option and, as there was no offer of assistance with bags, I could not recommend this retreat for unfit persons. Our room was split level wtih one step from bed area to seating area. Unfortunately in the morning my elderly but spritely travel mate failed to notice the step and injured her back quite badly, requiring strong pain medication and ruining the rest of our 6 day trip, part of which was to do walking tours :(. The step was not defined at all(floor tiles were all the same colour, Not even a colour strip along the edge). Upon enquiring, we were advised that our expected/original room had a flat floor, which rather rubbed salt into the wound !!
Bed comfort very good. Nice large ensuite had no heating (that I could see)-unless you left the door open to the other bed/sit section. Bar service & drinks were very good. Dinner was particularly good (gourmet pizza). Breakfast extremely basic with VERY limited choice.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank abc123Victoria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We happened upon the town of Yungaburra and this hotel by chance and I absolutely loved them both. We stayed in a cottage, they are spacious, tastefully decorated and well cared for. The spa bath was awesome, the water pressure was strong and the water hot, the bathroom in general was huge and beautiful. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The owner checked us in, she was really nice, as was her husband. The breakfast was simple, but delicious. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed the night we were there, otherwise we would have tried it. The menu looked good and was cheaper than the Swiss Italian restaurant down the street (which we thought was overrated). We ended up eating at the local pizza place each night. Next door to the hotel is the best cafe, the Whistlestop Cafe, great for snacks or lunch. Make sure you go on the nature walk down by the river, it's a beautiful walk, we happened upon a badmiton net and next to it found some racquets and balls so we played, that was fun. The local pub was great too, we met some really nice people there. It's a small town, but if you are just looking to relax a few days, and maybe get out and see some nature, I highly recommend going here, and the Eden house is the nicest place to stay by far. I hope to get back to this town again someday, I've never felt so at home as I felt there!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reviewer619
Atherton
Reviewed 17 December 2010

We were there for a family wedding - great food, quality service, competent and friendly staff, ambient surroundings.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2010

We stayed at Eden House after promising ourselves in the past when visiting the Yungaburra Markets - 'We must do that one day" - unfortunatly time never permitted. This time it did and we had two most wonderful nights enjoying the charm and elegance of the establishment. The space and comfort in the Garden Cottage we had was absolutely first class. We have stayed in many overseas places of accomodation but none have equalled this in the way the owners have presented Eden House.
The hosts and all their staff, were absolutely charming and the dining experience both for evening meal and breakfast was the equal of any first class restaurant. This is one place I would say if you are in the vicinity - PLAN IT - AND DO IT !.
The location is also most convenient to all the attractions of the Atherton Tablelands with easy drives to all.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dinkumguy
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We stayed in Eden House for one night during our honeymoon in Australia. Our room was room was very spacious, clean, comfortable and quiet. The owner was very friendly and could not have been more welcoming. The highlight of our stay had to be the breakfast. Beautiful fresh fruit salad with exotic fruits and a delicious cooked breakfast. Very highly recommended...

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Perth
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Eden House has a lovely anbience in a beautiful setting. The villas are beautifully appointed with a feeling that you are the only ones there. The food is fresh and stronly showcases the areas foodbowl, equivalent to the best you could find anywhere in the world, the staff were friendly, knowlegable and efficient. Wow what a find.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 9 May 2010

My fiancee and I stayed here over a recent long weekend, and while the property itself was comfortable and pleasant, we will not return because of a sour taste left in our mouths by the attitude of the assistant manager, Susan.

On a recommendation from a workmate, and based on the reviews here, we booked our weekend's accommodation here. I booked through their website and at the time of booking, I noted the 'room and breakfast' rate was the same as the rate which also included a massage each and a dinner at their restaurant. Naturally I booked this package, thinking it was probably a special deal at the time, and received email confirmation of this price with its inclusions.

The next day however I received a telephone call from Susan who rang to inform me that the rate I had booked was not available and there had been an error on the website. She did not apologise for any confusion (and instead had a curt tone which almost insinuated I had deliberately tried to rip them off!) and offered to sell me a similar package (with less inclusions than the initial booking had offered), and for $200 more - naturally I declined. My first inclination was to stick to my guns, given I had written confirmation of the deal and the price, or withdraw my booking and stay elsewhere on principle, however conscience got the better of me and I decided to 'do the right thing'. We decided instead to support the local small business and changed our booking to B&B only at the correct rate. We tried to book a simultaneous massage for the two of us on the Saturday afternoon, but unfortunately this was not available as Susan explained theirs is only a small spa. We had no problem with this and decided not to arrange any massage sessions.

A week before we arrived, Susan was kind enough to send through an email to see if we wanted to make any bookings for dinner or massages, given it was anticipated to be a busy weekend. This was appreciated and we booked dinner, but no massages.

My fiancee injured her back in the days leading up to our weekend away, so after the drive from Townsville she was feeling quite sore. When we arrived, we explained this to Susan and asked if there might be any available bookings for her to have a last-minute massage. To this, Susan replied "You people make me so angry when you do this! This is why I asked you to book ahead!". We were more than a little taken aback by this response and very nearly walked away, but her back was really very sore so she booked in for a half hour massage. For the record, my fiancee reported the spa was very pleasant, and the masseuse was good.

That night we had dinner at the restaurant - the food was very good, as was the service.

After checking out on the Monday, I received a phone call from Susan to let me know that I had left my iPod cable in the villa. Unfortunately I was out of radio range when she rang and we were already 2 hours away by the time the voicemail came through, so on returning home I contacted Susan to ask if she would post it back to me, and offered to reimburse her for the postage. I was surprised to read in her reply email that she would charge me $10 for postage, when really the post bag and stamp would have cost less than $5. I replied to Susan that I would have thought instead that she would have taken the cable to the post office and charged me for the cost of the satchel and postage. I reminded her of the error on their part with my initial booking and thought perhaps it would be a gesture of goodwill for her to do this.

She did not reply to this email, but a few days later I received my cable with an enclosed credit card docket (using my preauthorised credit card) for $10.25 - that is, $10 for her postage fee, plus 0.25% credit card processing fee!!

I am aware that I may sound petty by squabbling over this small amount, but it is the principle of the matter, not the money itself which has galled me. Susan's general attitude, from her response to their initial mistake with the reservation, to her perfunctory reply to our query regarding massage bookings, and finally the saga of the lost cable reminded us that it doesn't matter how nice your restaurant or rooms are - in the hospitality industry it's the staff that make all the difference.

The place was nice enough, but our experience was soured and when we next return to the region we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Spin_king
edenhousegm, General Manager at Eden House Retreat, responded to this review, 10 May 2010
We are very sorry to hear that the reviewer’s experience with one of our team overshadowed what would otherwise have been a very positive review.
I can assure readers that the difficulties encountered by this reviewer are a very isolated incident – indeed we receive a great number of rave reviews on the friendliness of our staff – particularly Susan. I am unable to speculate as to why this reviewer has had a contrasting experience, but would like to offer our sincere apologies that this has marred their stay with us.
An unfortunate part of our industry is that sometimes, despite best intentions, things do not go as planned. We pride ourselves on doing everything we can to rectify the situation if and when things go awry. I am sorry to hear that in this instance, we fell short in our efforts to accommodate our guest’s requirements. This feedback will certainly be used to improve the way we manage these interactions in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yungaburra
Kookaburra Lodge
Crater Lakes Rainforest Cottages
Curtain Fig Motel
Curtain Fig Motel
#4 of 4 in Yungaburra

Been to Eden House Retreat? Share your experiences!