“Shredded duck salad”

Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Port Elliot
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Dining out with my partner on Sat 22nd March 2014 he oredered the Char-grilled Kangaroo salad and I ordered the Shredded duck salad.
His came out looked beautiful on the plate, tasted divine and had all the elements on the dish that was promised on the menu, however when mine came out, how disappointing, first only five very small pieces of duck, hard to find amongst the whole dumped bag of lettuce leaves on the plate, no dressing, no preserved lemons, in fact it was only a washed mix of leaves with the pieces of duck, after complaining to the waitress she went back to the kitchen and told me that I was not the only person to complain that evening and she could offer me a free dessert or coffee and I would not need to pay for the meal!!! I had no intention of paying for the meal, however my partner gor to eat, we had already had oysters and a bottler of wine, therefore we still ended up paying over $60.00 and I was left incredibly hungry, so went home and had a cheese sandwich. I believe that if people have already complained about a particular meal then it should either be addressed or taken of the menu. I could not fault the service of the place, the girl was lovely but I am still left hungry.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Every time we dine at the Hotel Elliot we hope the service will improve. However each time we leave hoping that management will provide staff with better training. The ambience in the front room is great and the food and wine are generally good. However once the staff have you seated with menus, the challenge begins to get good service.
Left waiting for that first drink order, main meals delivered at quite different times, dishes not taken away and always waiting for desert orders to be taken. Good customer focussed staff training could make the Hotel Elliot a great place to dine.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

The hotel has recently changed hands, but sensibly they have retained most of the long-time staff who know the clientele. We were there for a leisurely lunch and to have a few bets, so time did not concern us. We ate on the pool table & had one of the BEST house reds that I have ever been served, Brown Bros. My schnitzel was not bad either, a good size and cooked perfectly. Our only complaint was, the horses could have been kinder.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Been here a couple of times some time ago and thought of giving it a try again. Well got the table we wanted outside, under cover (there are a few seats in the open with shade trees which would be great on a cooler day). Water served quickly, so we ordered lunch: "Skippy nicely cooked", fish and salad were fine and my lamb shank with pesto and veges was pretty good but not sensational.
Bonus - the "cockle Train" was running and I was lucky enough to get some great photos of this nostalgic steam locomotive.....now there's an idea ...why don't I catch the train from Goolwa to the pub next time!!!
Good pub in a busyish seaside destination, food good, beer cold, good coffee for nominated driver, and if you like cricket you might even catch sight of "the wild child, Shaun Tait"

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We have called in twice on the spur of the moment at Hotel Elliott and have got a table in the front section which is the older section and very pleasant. It has been busy both times but being only 2 of us were seated near the big bi-fold windows which is a lovely spot. The service and food are good. There are other areas to eat in the back area of the hotel but they seem noisy. It is a popular place to dine at on the Fleurieu Peninsula and well worth a visit. I would definitely book if more than 2 people going. We would definitely go there again.
Port Elliott itself is a lovely town and extremely busy and popular in holiday season, very 'buzzy' and interesting.