“Lost Property Found and Returned”

Howard Johnson West Fargo
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in West Fargo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
“Lost Property Found and Returned”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed at the Howard Johnson in West Fargo from 06-19 to 06-22-14. This hotel gave me the best rate in the Fargo area and that is why I chose it. I thought the hotel more than met my needs based on the price. The hotel exceeded my expectations by locating and returning a very expensive pair of shoes I left behind in the room. I called the hotel a few days after I checked out and was happy they found my shoes. A friend was driving through the area a week later and picked them up for me. This spoke volumes about the cleaning staff's character. In reading the reviews I agree you get what you pay for at this hotel for the most part and I expected that. What was a pleasant surprise was the honest staff, which you can't always get no matter what you pay for a hotel.

Room Tip: If you are just looking at a place to sleep for cheap, you won't be disappointed. If you want hi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Comfortable bed. Ample space. Pleasant staff. Good breakfast. This hotel had everything we needed for our stay at almost half the price of several other locations we had stayed at during our trip. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel was ok for what I needed. Had to stay two nights for work. It was clean for the most part but the area has become a little run down. Price was good. I did feel like the room was larger than some other hotels I have stayed at. Pool did not look very clean and the staff didn't say one word to me.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dakota Dunes, South Dakota
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We made the reservation to stay here because my other half's grandmother is ill and we live out of state. Beer bottles outside, cigarette butts everywhere, front desk agent outside by the door smoking when we checked in. Had to press 0 to "locate" the attendant. (generally, 3-9 pm are the busiest checkin times for guests, so please wait to have your smoke break!!!) We should have just left then....

Originally booked a single queen room. Got put into a two DOUBLE room (#109) with broken/improperly hung or closing door. Pulled back the blankets and checked the sheets and mattresses, clean (mattresses worn but that's all right) and under both bed skirts we found a large doll that a child had left behind, twisty ties, a torn off corner of a baggie (that held drugs, perhaps, who knows) and other trash that the housekeepers and HEAD housekeeper should have caught. Was unable to find HBO like advertised... but whatever.

These beds need new box springs immediately... sore back, neck, but what do you do when the other bed looks more swaybacked than what you're in? Fell asleep for awhile, and then I woke up to stomping, LOUD crashing and stomping in the room directly above us. So I waited about five minutes before calling the front desk, the man who answered didn't sound too enthused about going upstairs and telling the other guests to quiet down. Whatever, tried to go back to sleep, intermittent crashing and stomping... got up at 4:30, took a shower. Tub floor is cracked and exhaust fan is loud like a jet engine but ineffective.

Got dressed, packed up, and at 5:55 went to a VERY small breakfast selection. I have never been to a hotel in my life where the eggs are omelette style and in a cold bowl. The toaster was also broken, and it was just a really disappointing, sad setup. There were those eggs, two kinds of juice, coffee, a small carafe of milk, two kinds of muffins, and little donuts, bread, english muffins and waffles. It looked like the absolute MINIMUM requirements that Wyndham sets for this HoJo to keep it's flag. At checkout, I told the front desk person that the stomping never did cease, and was told "well I went up there and they said they were just walking" and really again seemed quite inconvenienced by my mere presence. I told him it was a terrible stay, and there was no apology, no "what happened" or "what can we do"... so we went over to McDonald's and got breakfast and coffee (you should not need to go to a different place if the hotel you are staying at serves continental breakfast).

This was really a large disappointment, and yet another blemish on the Wyndham line of hotels. I should have questioned the price, and stayed with my preferred hotels (Hilton brand properties), so we learned a hard lesson. The three hour drive home tired and not well-rested was NOT worth paying 75.00 for.

Advice? DO NOT STAY HERE. It's a party hotel, that has long been past it's prime, the owners apparently don't care about it and try to skimp and take shortcuts at every chance, and you get exactly what you pay for.....

Room Tip: Don't. Go stay over by the mall.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Alchemy H
gupta08, General Manager at Howard Johnson West Fargo, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Firstly, I want to thank you for taking the time to review our property. I do apologize for the inconvenience that you had to go through. I have personally spoken to everyone involved with your stay. I and my entire staff would like to express our profound concern with your discomfort. And we duly hope that you will give us another chance.
Kind Regards
Sam
GM

Travellers are raving about these West Fargo hotels

West Fargo
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Can't beat the price. Located in a moderately bustling business district, yet didn't hear much for traffic. Seems much of the clientel are workers. There was an 'odor' to the room but it was bearable (pool/hottub/nicotine/many years of traffic). The room was clean. The owner interacts with customers. If you are looking to save some money, stay in a clean room, and snack on a basic menu of cereal/muffin/waffle's/juice/coffee....or McD's next door. This is the place for you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our 2 night stay at this hotel. The room was extremely large, giving plenty of room to move around and perfect for having a few friends over to visit. It was a king bed with a full (hide-a-bed) couch and a reclining chair, a sizeable desk, dresser, and a couple end tables. All of the furniture was that oversized stuff that makes you feel like you're royalty. There was also a decent mini fridge and a microwave. The main draw of the room was the hot tub, which was really not that impressive, just an oversized bathtub with jets. However, it was separate from the bathroom and had it's own space which was definitely nice. And, we certainly enjoyed it!
The staff was exceptional! Happily providing extra towels when our Jeep got rained on, after we'd taken the top down, and been surprised by a sudden shower. Also, accommodating us with a late check out on short notice due to a later than expected night. ^_~

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Fargo
Fargo Inn & Suites
Fargo Inn & Suites
#27 of 50 in Fargo

Been to Howard Johnson West Fargo? Share your experiences!