“1861 Inn”
Review of 1861 Inn

1861 Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Batavia
Reviewed 30 July 2013

A feeling of warmth and hospitality was clearly present during our recent visit to 1861 Inn. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing ambience, beautifully decorated room and exceptional food; all graceously extended by the inkeepers Tom and Carole Cottrill.

The meals alone merit recognition as each was expertly prepared providing both a visual and culinary delight.

The 1861 Inn comes with our highest recommendation- a very special respite that promises many retrun visits.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 July 2013

1861 Inn was such a wonderful experience. Tom and Carole were such wonderful people, the rooms were eceptional. The meals were the best, the grounds were beautiful, the pool was awesome. All around great stay would highly recommend this B and B.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

This place is phenomenal. My husband and I spent a night here to celebrate our anniversary. Carol took the time to tell us the history of the house and show us around before showing us to our room. The house is beautifully decorated with many kitschy and antique items. Our room was wonderful. On the small side but dominated by a queen sized bed, two armchairs, and a fireplace-laid and ready to light. I loved the clawfoot slipper tired and made use of it twice. They provided a variety of scented soaps, bath salts, and shampoos. My husband loved the steam shower. Although the website said they usually serve brownies they remembered my comment that my husband was allergic to chocolate and brought us lemon bars for after dinner. Yum! The bed was outrageously comfortable and in the morning they brought coffee and tea up to our room. They had checked the night before and discovered I did not drink coffee. I don't know how to put into words how scrumptious the breakfast was. Yogurt with fruit and current scones with a yummy apricot spread. The stuffed French toast was to die for. This is the cleanest most hospitable and most enjoyable bed and breakfast I have ever stayed at. The company at breakfast was delightful and Carol and Tom obviously love their house and love sharing it with guests. They went above and beyond by allowing my husband and myself to stay a couple hours after check out because I was not feeling well. Lee can't wait to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank jamacsmith
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed in the 1861 Inn for a week while in Batavia for training at Sporty's flight school, which was less than 10 minutes away by car. Tom and Carole were very accommodating with my unpredicable morning schedule, and breakfasts were consistently the best I've ever had at any B&B... and I've been to many!

Although the weather was less than optimal at times (what can you expect during winter in Ohio!), I was warm and cozy with a fire crackling in the cottage and enjoyed coming "home" daily to friendly pooches with tails wagging. Whenever I go to Batavia this is where I will stay.

Room Tip: If you want more privacy, opt for the Cottage. I did tour the rooms in the main house, all of which...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank justinenv
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Not sure why, but they had a loofah and sponge in the bath tub, which looked like it had been used!!! Gross. Advertised a hot tub and heated pool, but the pool was freezing cold. They said that is was broken, and they were waiting for a part to fix it. No one told me that when I booked my room. The hot tub was not turned on....has to wait hours for it to heat up. And it left green stains on our skin. Food was okay. Television was tiny! I was not happy. Definitely was not worth my money.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed at this wonderful Bed and Breakfast Sept. 21 and 21nd.

We occupied the Cottage and it was so cozy and inviting we hated to leave.

The hosts Carole and Tom are so gracious and the food was out of this world. We have travel extensively and have never been served such a gourmet breakfast.

The other guests were delightful as well.

We would highly recommend this lovely inn to others and hope to return soon

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Boy, was this an unexpected treat. Tom and Carole are graciousness defined - the 1861 Inn is immaculate and so was our experience. My wife and I were in the area for business and only got to stay for one night which was the only unsatisfactory aspect of the stay -- simply not enough of a good thing! If we lived nearby we would seriously inquire about becoming permanent "boarders", depriving all else of the use of the Riverview Room with its fireplace and steam-shower (how many steam showers can you take in 24 hours? ask my wife, it's a lot apparently).

Room Tip: we saw all three rooms and all have their relative advantages. My wife loved the steam shower possib...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank brian f
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batavia
Ameristay Inn and Suites Batavia
#29 of 51 in Cincinnati
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Cincinnati-Eastgate
Best Western Premier Mariemont Inn
Hampton Inn Cincinnati Eastgate

Been to 1861 Inn? Share your experiences!