“A 2-Bedroom Suite lowers family stress”

Residence Inn Cleveland Beachwood
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Beachwood
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Both we parents and our mid-teen sons are very glad when we have separate spaces and Residence Inns are top of our hotel lists because they offer 2-bedroom suites. The Residence Inn in Beachwood, OH is a fairly large place but has a very nice pool and fire-pit area. (See photos.)

We chose this specific location as convenient toTwinsburg, OH, Downtown, and an Interstate. We arrived around Midnight after a Friday night Buffalo Bisons game and were pleased to see that reception has to release the door to grant access.

The rooms are the typical Residence Inn layout we're familiar with with entry into the kitchen/dining/living area and bedrooms on either side. We took the larger room with the desk, both rooms have their own bathrooms and King size beds. Our sons were grateful for the size of the beds. (Earlier this year we all crow-barred our selves into a room with 2 Double beds, it worked but it's more stressful being constantly within elbowing distance of each other.)

So, what's to like:
- The pool - it's heated, it a decent size, the towels aren't terrible
- Hot tub - it's a hot tub and it's nearby the pool. Always nice to soak in before leaving the pool area
- Fire pit - didn't use it but it looks like a nice place to gather, it's close enough to the pool if your kids are good swimmers and are old enough that you don't need to be on the pool deck.
- Space - as mentioned, with two mid-teen sons. They and we appreciate the privacy, we can get up before them and not disturb them. They have their own TV, one in the living room and we have one in our room too.
- TV signal is digital (yes, some places still provide analog)
- Parking is free, the hotel was full but we didn't have to patrol the lot for a spot.
- Towels. Good, not luxurious but not the thin and scratchy burlap that some places use for towels.
- Beds. Good and firm but not hard, and not caved-in. Two good night's of sleep with lots of pillows.
- Free WiFi
- Lots of bedside outlets. And, they worked, not excessively worn.

On the not so good side:
- Business Center - this is a open an unmonitored couple of PCs with a printer. There's a sign saying that children must be accompanied however this is not enforced. I saw the same kids (from the same family based on their interaction) dominating both PCs for at least an hour and a half. No parent was evident.
- Breakfast - Overall it's good. With some fresh fruit, yogurt and milk, hot and cold cereals, make your own waffles, baked goods with a industrial belt-type toaster. However, the Sunday morning breakfast offered neither Bacon or Sausage. They were replaced by Biscuits and Gravy. The other two hot entrees were scrambled eggs and potatoes.
- Elevators. Too few, really slow
- Stairs are inconvenient. We were on the 2nd floor and would have had to go way out of our way to use stairs to get up and down.

For those who need their Starbucks, there's one nearby. That's about it, there are other things amenities but I found them unremarkable.

Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Terry N, Manager at Residence Inn Cleveland Beachwood, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your honest feedback. We are always looking to better ourselves and your opinion helps us to get better each day. Our hotel will be undergoing a complete renovation starting in November and should be completed by the Spring of 2015. This will included a revamped breakfast area and an improved business center. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again when your travels bring you back to the area. Thank you!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were visiting family nearby (near JCU campus) so the location was great for us. We had a two-bedroom suite at the end of the hall. The room was ENORMOUS. Our boys loved having their own room and bathroom. We had family over for a drink and it was so comfortable in the main room. Everyone was really impressed with the size and look of the room. Everything was really clean. We enjoyed the pool and firepit, and the continental breakfast was convenient and plentiful. The staff couldn't have been friendlier. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the kind words about our hotel. We always appreciate your feedback. Our hotel will be undergoing a renovation starting in November. All of our guest rooms and public lobby spaces will be completely renovated. We hope you will come see us again once the renovation is complete in the Spring of 2015! Thank you!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I gave this hotel 3 stars but not sure that it shouldn't be a two! We stayed recently for a few nights at this hotel. The first thing I noticed, was that the main door is not automatic. You can use the handicap switch or you manually open it, but the handicapped switch makes the door heavy. My first impression of the hotel then, was that it was dated. Most hotels I have stayed in have an automatic door, which makes it so much easier to bring your luggage in with you.

Secondly I also was "greeted" by the guy at the front desk. He was not friendly at all, rather rough, and kept me waiting longer than necessary. He was talking to a someone rather gruffly in the hotel on a walkie talkie, while I was at the desk waiting beyond what I think is reasonable. I noticed that some reviewers have mentioned this before me, so nothing has been done yet to improve this man's manner. The female staff at the front desk are pleasant enough but the set up of the front desk area creates a very strange atmosphere for the guests because the staff desk is sort of behind a wall with an opening on it and that is set back from the area where you approach them. I just don't think that this situation gives you a warm feeling when you need to talk to any of the staff. Often 2 female staff were behind this partition, not really paying attention quickly enough and busy chatting with each other instead.

My other big beef is with respect to the business center. Be prepared to be frustrated. I used it to check my emails and news reports several times, not to play games. The computer takes so long to load up anything and I had problems with it not clearing data when I logged out one day. It freezes too often. I complained to the guy at the front desk who mumbled something about a 3rd party server and in any event he did not come to even look at it when I complained about what just happened to me when I couldn't log off. A guest beside me, who was also not having any luck with the 2nd computer, gave up and left. He told me he had work that had to be finished and couldn't work on these computers. My husband also came down one day and was not happy when it was taking him far too long to print off some directions because the printer was not working properly. He ended up printing the directions pen and paper instead.

The pool is smaller than I thought it would be. We tried to use it one afternoon but there were so many kids in the pool in such a small pool that we ended up not going in for a swim. They were rowdy and unsupervised and since the pool is small we couldn't have used it without being bombarded by these kids.

The best part of being a guest here was the room size, which was very large. The beds were fairly comfortable. You have a good sized fridge, a small microwave oven and a dishwasher. You get a sofa and desk and there is a breakfast nook in the room too. The bathroom is pretty small. However it was clean and did the trick. There is also an area outside of the bathroom with a sink and enough counter space for the 2 of us. We had plenty of hot water and there was adequate water pressure too. The air conditioning in the room worked very well and I was not disturbed by any noise coming from it. I would say that the room and bathroom needs to be modernized...it just looks old although not worn out. For example, the bathroom has an old fashioned tub/shower with a curtain. I felt comfortable enough in it and certainly the maid does her job to keep it clean, but you just feel like you are in a dated hotel room.

I did not notice any noises in the hallway or outside, so I did get a good night sleep. We asked for a quiet room and we certainly got what we asked for. The guy at the front desk did this right, because he said that the side overlooking the parking lot is quiet. So if you don't want to be disturbed by noise, I was told to stay away from the rooms overlooking the pool.

One thing that was really good about this hotel as well is the area it is in. It is right within walking distance of 2 restaurant chains that we like to eat in. One is PF Chang and the other is Hyde Park Steakhouse. There is also a deli, Corky and Lenny's, about a 2 minute drive from the hotel. It serves one of the tastiest deli sandwiches I have ever had, called the hot Roumanian Pastrami.

All in all I would stay within the area next time, but there are quite a few hotels nearby to choose from. I think to stay competitive, a renovation needs to take place very soon and the staff need to be more hospitality minded. They certainly need a major overhaul on the computers because that was a deal breaker for me. I would say that if they don't start all these changes soon, they will probably find that return visitors to Cleveland, like me, choosing other hotels to stay in.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room overlooking the parking lot, not the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Terry N, Manager at Residence Inn Cleveland Beachwood, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

ghfan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I apologize for the lack of customer service from our staff. I will be addressing each of these issues with my staff to ensure a better guest experience. Our hotel should be friendly and inviting and we failed to meet those expectations. I have also notified my maintenance staff about the lobby computers to ensure we get them working properly. We will be undergoing an major renovation of both our guest rooms and lobby at the end of this year. I hope you will be willing to give us another shot when your travels bring you back to the area.
Thank you.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Great service from Mike Meyers at the front desk ! Staying 3 nights and very nice, clean, and comfortable. Just came from the "sip and dip" in the dining area (free) wine, soda, dips and veggies and chips! This place is very nice and and the pool area is fantastic! They even have a handicap lift for the pool ( never have seen this at a hotel). Beautiful fire pit and seating area. Service at breakfast (lots to choose from and free) was wonderful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone with or without children. Centrally located and easy to get to all directions.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for the feedback and kind words. We appreciate you choosing our hotel and hope to see you again in the future. We will be undergoing a complete renovation of our hotel starting in November. All guest rooms and the public lobby areas will be renovated and this should be complete by the Spring of 2015. We hope you will come visit us once the renovation is complete! Thank you!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Orginally I booked the 2 bedroom suite for two nights but I had trouble with my debit card and ended up staying one night. The staff was nice about the fact that I was unable to stay the second night because of my debit card. I ended up bidding for two rooms on Priceline and got two rooms for less money.

I have stayed here before and the one good this is that the serve breakfast daily. The restaurants in the are a kind of expensive so this is always a good deal. This hotel is located in an area with lots of restaurants, hotels and shopping and is centrally located with quick access to downtown Cleveland and the airport.

Overall, the hotel is clean and adequate.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for the kind words. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here for 1 night. Room 245 (2 bedroom suite). Overall, everything was adequate and clean. The couch looked old and had a few spots on it. Pull-out sofa bed was too thin to sleep on. The 2 beds in this suite were extremely comfortable. The wing that Rm245 was in had a lump in the carpeting that ran down the length of the hallway. Not safe for someone who is physically handicapped. The staff who worked the breakfast buffet were extremely nice and helpful. Front desk clerk who checked us in did his job but could've smiled and been a bit more friendly. The evening we checked in, the power went out for about a minute. The next morning, the power went about for about 5 minutes. Some poor soul was stuck in the elevator as we could hear them ringing the bell. We looked into the hallway when the power went out, it was very dark even with the emergency back up lights on. Also, could hear the pitter patter of feet from the room above us at 7am (some toddler running around). Ugh.

Room Tip: If you plan on eating breakfast there, be sure to ask for a room close to the buffet. I'm in pre...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Terry N, Manager at Residence Inn Cleveland Beachwood, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback. I have notified our maintenance staff about the hallway carpet and I will be addressing staff friendliness with our entire team. We apologize for the multiple power outages that occured during your stay. It was an unfortunate city wide issue but is a great inconvenience to you and our guests and we apologize for this inconvenience. We will be undergoing a massive renovation at the end of the year and we hope you will choose to stay with us again! Thank you!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed one night in a 2 room suite with the pull out sofa bed. The hotel was in a great location being just 15 minutes or so from the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame we went to the next day. There was plenty of shopping and eating nearby and the location was safe and convenient. Everything was very clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was very polite and the pool was heated and well-maintained. There was a hot tub as well and an outdoor fire place. Breakfast was clean and typical for a Residence in and was well-stocked and maintained. They had food and snacks you could buy onsite that were reasonably priced. Free internet with a password.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you very much for the kind review and forchoosing to stay with us. Just wanted to pass along that we will be undergoing a major renovation at the end of the year and hope that you will choose to stay with us again!