“Fine for Midwest”

855 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4,162 helpful votes
“Fine for Midwest”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

OK_real skiers do not LIKE 1500.'
And once we have been to Killington, Cannan, Snowshoe, Vail, Park City, Deer Valley, ...,
Ohio and skiing seem to be a contradiction in terms!

I cannot ski Breckenridge or Beaver Creek every day.
I carefully choose a sunny, windless day and can enjoy Mad River.

The ski instructors and the ski patrol is first rate.
A nice sunny run is better than not skiing.
So yes, we are thankful for the day trips in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.

Visited February 2011

Columbus, OH
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Cute and convenient”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This is a wee little ski resort in Central Ohio, which is pretty much flat as a pancake. That said, I visited Mad River with a chip on my shoulder, but I'll try to review it without holding lack of altitude against it.

They do a great job with what they have. Snowmaking is top notch and trails have excellent coverage even when Mama Nature gives us poor Ohioan snow junkies no help at all. The base lodge is basic cafeteria food; the bar was very affordable with great microbrew choices and what looked like some respectable bar food.
The resort hosts late-night skiing on the weekends, and I'm told that the slopes get overcrowded and rowdy during those times. The chairlifts are older and definitely slow, so the crowds could make for some monster lift lines. I went on a weekday, however, and the lifts were fine. (You don't really need a high-speed detachable for a 300 foot elevation, let's be honest)

Their terrain park is definitely the gold star of the resort. You don't need much altitude for that! Mad River boasts being the home mountain of Olympian Louie Vito, so they really know what they're doing. If you're planning a trip, check out the resort schedule as they host several rail jams/events throughout the season.

If you're a beginner or really just want to ski for the social atmosphere, to make a few turns and then get to the bar, this place will suffice. If you're a more advanced skiier, you'll have a hard time finding a challenge. But at a cool 45 minute drive from Columbus (as opposed to 5 hours to get to a bigger mountain) I won't turn up my nose at being able to scratch my skiing itch.

Visited March 2011
2 Thank LaWilla
Toledo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Mad River Mountain Fun”
Reviewed 5 January 2010

If you go to the mountain for tubing go at night. The runs are faster due to be used all day, which makes it icy and fast. Conveyor system provides you with a nice ride to the top of the hill.

5 Thank watty41