“Great skiing in Ohio.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mad River Mountain

Bellefontaine, Ohio
“Great skiing in Ohio.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

There is something for everyone at MRM. My husband and I enjoy skiing, and taking our 2 boys. Our 2 1/2 year old loved the magic carpet", and our 4 year old skis the side trails with us. Our parents, in their late 60's, even tried the Avalanche tubing park. It was fun for all ages.

Visited March 2014

Irvine, California
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Good time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I decided to come here for a day get away. He doesn't ski so we opted for tubing instead. We had a really really good time. It was a lot of people but both sides seemed to move very quickly. I'v

2 Thank Sara J
Findlay, Ohio
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Ohio sking...it ain't Tahoe.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Took the family to Mad River Mountain for a day trip. It's only 50 miles away, so it's the closest ski run we have. At 350' vertical, it's basically a sled hill. Perfect for beginners and lessons. I suppose younger skiers and boarders will like the terrain park area. It just seems like you spend most of your day in long lift lines for short runs. But hey, it's better than not sking at all. Price is what gets you here. A family ski day with rental will set you back $ 300.00. Food is basic burger and chicken fingers, and also not cheap. The upstairs Loft is a good parent spot though. had a decent band and atmosphere. Overall good place for the kids to ski and the parents watch.

1 Thank Valverdejack
North Olmsted, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not worth a second trip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

After my girlfriend and me reviewed ski resorts all around our area we settled on Mad River Mountain. There are hotels and cheap packages in the area and we are first time skiers so we figured what better way then buying the lessons and all day passes? When we first arrived we felt like fish out of water. We werent sure where to go and how to properly rent equipment. Like I said we're new. We had to seek help everywhere, it didnt seem like staff members were willing to approach you on their own.
The lessons were so-so at best. We got some okay tips but half the lesson we barely heard because the one instructor that was teaching us was often out of ear shot helping others in the group. Unfortunately for us, we were well spent after the chaotic rental process, the 20 minute wait for a bathroom break and the 40 some minute crash course and decided to call it a day.

I fully plan on skiing again but for a first timer going I advice you to buy the lessons only and see how it feels before you commit $160 for you and your partner. I bit off more then I could chew in one day. It was a nice experience overall...but for the money I could have done a thousand better things.

2 Thank Michael M
Centerville, Ohio
713 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3,756 helpful votes
“skiing and tennis are two sports that one acquires while studying for a university degree”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We have skied Mad River Mountain for 40+ years.

We have skied all of the Western States, which have ski resorts. We have skied New England, Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana, and West Virginia.

Seems that skiing and tennis are two sports that one acquires while studying for a university degree. Skiing at age 20, 30, 40, and 50 is fearless double black diamond; “devil may care” skiing. Skiing at 60 and older seems to require a more careful approach.

Mad River Mountain, near Bellefontaine at about 750’ is still fun. Mad River Mountain has excellent management, a “brainy” business plan, a “no-snow” contingency plan, and a super 2013-2014 season.

Mad River Mountain is about 60 minutes north of our Centerville home, and the drive through the rural snow area is a treat.

Mad River Mountain has tripled in size since our first visit, and on a perfect sunny, 24 degree day it seems not to get any better than this.

Mad River Mountain can hold lots of folks of all ages. The gravel parking lot is solid ice, but with “grip.”

Skiing at 750’ on packed snow does not compare to skiing at 14,000.’ However, Mad River Mountain is here and 60 minutes away. There are all sorts of terrain in 2013-2014. Early February skiing is wonderful. In our youth, we skied in minus zero, in blizzards, in rain, and in all weather. As we age, we limit our days to the “near perfect.”

As we age, we avoid weekends, and holiday crazed skiers. Mad River Mountain is fine for all levels and ages of skiing.

We like the constant improvements in skiing, the improvements in ski gear, the handy “dining area, and following skiing the Loft Bar.

We like throwing the gear into the SUV, and not Fed Exing the ski gear to Utah or to Vail.

And we like dining at a small town restaurant, as we are homeward bound.

5 Thank SavantIII_11