“Convenient location”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Berlin
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Convenient location”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband and I have stayed at a variety of places in OAC. Berlin Grande is one we've stayed at a few times. We've always had a positive experience. The staff is friendly, the breakfast buffet has a variety to choose from, and the convenience of walking to the town of Berlin is a plus. We've always had a balcony room but this time we opted for the ground floor with a patio. My husband loved the convenience of this! I thought it was nice, but I agree with other reviewers about some noise. However, it got quiet by 11:00 and I was able to sleep in until 8:00. No matter how nice the hotel, if you get bad neighbors above you or next to you....you'll not be happy. All in all, a very nice hotel. I do think the modern decor is out of place in the little town of Berlin (country atmosphere). But nice to have the pool and the little niceties this hotel offers.

Room Tip: The west side gets the full sun in the late afternoon/evening. If you want to sit outside after a d...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie C
BGH_Social_Media, Front Office Manager at Berlin Grande Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Debbie C,
Thank you for your response to us. We strive daily to meet our guest expectations. We look forward to having you visit us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I recently stayed in Berlin at this location. We are very frequent visitors to the area as we are building on a property close by. We are well acquainted with choosing nicer properties and this one came highly recommended by a local vendor. The location is wonderful...just off Route 62 in Berlin. Access is easy in and out and a nice big dining place is right next door. Lobby is warm and inviting and we loved the great fireplaces there with comfy sofas nearby to rest and relax. We noticed many families taking advantage of this. Hotel staff were generally very polite and helpful. A well stocked little "store" off the main desk was lovely for quick grabs. The breakfasts were pretty basic with all the usual items found in Amish Country hotels. Our room was comfortable and quiet, only because we were located on the top floor. We did notice though that anyone walking in the halls, on the steps or in their rooms was quite audible. The floors and walls seemed very thin. The hotel appeared quite full and there were many children running through the halls, up and down the stairs off the lobby and making quite a racket in their rooms. This is NOT a place for peace and quiet. We love children (we have 6 of our own), however, this was not quite as relaxing as one might have hoped. The pool area was very small and very crowded. The hottub was even smaller and placed back in a corner where the air doesn't circulate well and the water splashes over the sides continuously when the jets are on. All in all, a great location, a very comfortable room, a nice breakfast all at a good price. We will not likely stay here again as it just wasn't our "cup of tea", but this is a wonderful spot for traveling families.

Room Tip: Higher floor will have much less noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MimiStarr
Hello,
Thank you so much for your feedback to us. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as enjoyable as it should have been. We continually strive for improvement and great guest experiences.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I have to say checking in was a breeze and the girl at the front desk was very friendly and easy to talk to.
My sister and I come to Amish country twice a year and we so look forward to this "girls only" trip. We enjoyed walking to the restaurant adjacent to the property and enjoyed swimming in the pool and getting in the hot tub.
The beds were very comfortable, but we had a great deal of trouble trying to sleep, it was so noisy!!! We were so disappointed, because we LOVED everything else about this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the end of the hall and on the 4th floor. we were on the 3rd floor and it was s...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SUSAN F
BGH_Social_Media, General Manager at Berlin Grande Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Hello Susan,

Thank you so much for your taking the time to share your experience, I am glad that you chose us again this year, but very sorry that you could not rest well. I am thoroughly sorry about the experience here this time and I would love the opportunity to speak to you and see what I can do to make your next trip here to Amish Country more pleasurable. Please contact me directly here at the property at 330-403-3050. Thank you! Darlene Mayes
North Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were so excited to get away and stay here. It is very modern and clean. However, the noise level was insane. I could hear everything the people were doing above us including walking, opening the fridge and microwave, the TV, etc. I didn't sleep a wink since they were up late the night before and then got up again at 6:30am. I am so displeased with the fact that you can't even sleep or relax here that we'll never be back and won't be recommending it to anyone else.l

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NDD817
BGH_Social_Media, General Manager at Berlin Grande Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear NDD817,

I am so very sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable time with us, we certainly want to make this a better experience for you. If you would contact me directly at the property and I would be happy to discuss a resolution for you.

It is always difficult to know when noise levels are unbearable and so hard to resolve, we would have been very happy to move you to another area of the hotel without question. So please allow us the opportunity to rectify this for you and contact me at 330-403-3050.

Again, I am deeply sorry and I hope to speak to you soon.

Darlene Mayes
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed the Berlin Grande Hotel on a recent weekend visit. It is very modern, has a decent breakfast, small but nice pool plus very hot hot tub, decent work out room and is within walking distance to downtown. It sits next to a very good restaurant and the views of the countryside are beautiful. The rooms also have a balcony which was nice plus a great kitchenette with a pull up bar. Will be back for sure.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your response to us Angela N. it is always a pleasure to hear that we have reached our "daily" goal of striving for excellence is Guest Satisfaction.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, and we can't wait to see you again.

Again, we thank you for choosing the Berlin Grande Hotel.

Darlene Mayes
Berea, Ohio
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband and I planned a trip to Amish country to unwind and relax. We had never stayed in Berlin before and thought we'd give the Berlin Grande Hotel a try. I am glad we did. Check-in was fast, cookies at front desk were awesome and the room was great. We had the fireplace suite and the room was huge. Large kitchenette area with almost full-size refrigerator and counter with bar stools was nice, in addition to the 4-seat dining table. Huge vanity in bathroom. Went to the pool and hot tub and both days we were the only ones in there. Really enjoyed it. The fitness room is not huge, but I only use the treadmill, so it was fine for my needs. Morning breakfast was great. On Friday morning, not very crowded - more crowded on Saturday morning (as would be expected), but still plenty of room. Only had one small issue. When we returned to our room on Friday afternoon, maid service left a bag of garbage from the kitchenette trash can right by the door (must have forgotten to take it out of the room). Called down to the lobby and they had someone come up and get it right away. Next time we come to the area, we will definitely be staying here again. Loved it!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
BGH_Social_Media, General Manager at Berlin Grande Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for your stay and your kind and thorough review. I'm happy you enjoyed one of our suites and so many of our amenities. Our focus is to always provide five-star service for our "select-service" hotel, and I'm sorry we dropped the ball with the forgotten trash. We look forward to hosting you again when you're in the area.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We are regular visitors to Amish Country and have stayed in many hotels. Decided to give this one a try after getting a discounted rate on a hotel website, and it did not disappoint. The room was very clean, modern looking, and comfortable. We used the pool and hot tub while we were there and they were well maintained. Breakfast is included and was a nice for being free. It was a pretty typical hotel breakfast but did not have any local Amish goods as some of the more traditional Amish Country hotels do. It sits just behind the Farmstead Restaurant on a back street in the town of Berlin. Being able to walk to dinner one night was nice. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ImKellyWV1
BGH_Social_Media, General Manager at Berlin Grande Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Good evening! Thank you for your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, the price you paid, the breakfast, and our cleanliness. We hope to have you visit again soon. Have a wonderful rest of February!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berlin
Berlin Resort
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dover
Carlisle Inn Sugarcreek
Carlisle Inn Sugarcreek
#1 of 5 in Sugarcreek

Been to Berlin Grande Hotel? Share your experiences!